What's new

Question for Anyone w/ Merlin on AC68U 1Ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

42Reasons

New Around Here
Hello. I got the AC68U last night, and wondered if putting Merlin on it would change the following behavior that is a problem with the stock FW.

ISSUE: I have the 5ghz band permanently disabled in the GUI. At night I want to use the manual wifi button to turn off the 2Ghz radio (cannot use a schedule, my schedule varies widely), but when I press the button instead of turning the enabled 2gHz band OFF.... it turns the disabled 5gHz band ON. Pressing the button again turns them both off, but in the morning, turning wifi back on turns them both back on. IOW, the wifil button changes the GUI settings. (Called ASUS and they said yeah, that's just how it works.)

Did Merlin address this or does it work the same way?

I would very much appreciate an answer as I will have to return this router if there is no path to get the manual wifi button to work correctly, in conjunction with the GUI settings. TIA

Behaviour should be identical to the stock firmware. Radio enabling/disabling is controlled by a single setting in nvram, so what you want cannot be done short of making everything even more complicated and having separate enable/disable settings depending on whether you want to disable it through the button, through the scheduled, through the webui, etc... That would create a complete mess, and then people would complain because everyone would want different priorities - some want scheduled wifi to bypass any disable setting, others do not.

Thanks for your quick reply and I understand the mess, since ASUS designed it wrong to begin with. My Netgear 6230 router has no such problem. The physical wifi button turns off/on whatever radio band is enabled in the GUI, period. Shame ASUS didn't take a page from their book. Thanks again...

Thanks for your quick reply and I understand the mess, since ASUS designed it wrong to begin with. My Netgear 6230 router has no such problem. The physical wifi button turns off/on whatever radio band is enabled in the GUI, period. Shame ASUS didn't take a page from their book. Thanks again...

It actually used to be the opposite on my firmware, and users complained about it. So what sounds ideal for you is actually "wrong" for other users - it's a matter of perspective.