What's new

Questions about NextDNS on AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EVO2point0

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks.
I opted for 1 year subscription for NextDNS today and installed CLI on Asus AX88U router today.
Two questions:

1. It seems to be running great that I can see my devices in logs and analytics on the dashboard at nextdns.io web. However, although it is installed through CLI, I cannot see anything settings related to NextDNS on the router's admin web. Is it supposed to be like this? (Not exactly a problem for me since I can see info on their web dashboard).

2. From YouTube, I've learned that YogaDNS client seems to be very popular DNS client on Windows 10 PC.
My question is, if NextDNS CLI is installed on the router, is there any benefit for installing YogaDNS and configure it to use NextDNS on Windows 10 PCs?

When installed on the router, NextDNS creates and configures a proxy server on a local port. Then DNSMasq is modified to reference that proxy server in its config file.

Code:
cat /tmp/etc/dnsmasq.conf

No evidence of these changes will appear in the GUI.

2. From YouTube, I've learned that YogaDNS client seems to be very popular DNS client on Windows 10 PC.
My question is, if NextDNS CLI is installed on the router, is there any benefit for installing YogaDNS and configure it to use NextDNS on Windows 10 PCs?

I have NextDNS CLI Client installed on my router and YogaDNS on my laptop. Reason for this is is that I run a separate VPN from my laptop and the rest of the network is using either WAN or VPN from the router. The YogaDNS client has been adapted to use NextDNS, so this way I can use NextDNS together with the ProtonVPN app. This does allow alternate DNS-servers btw, but has no option to specify your unique ID, which YogaDNS does, so this way I can take my personal NextDNS config with me on the road. Because of a conflict between the ProtonVPN app and the native NextDNS app for Windows 10, this was a perfect solution to me and it works like a charm. So long answer to short question: if you're having a similar scenario, YogaDNS is a great, user friendly and free solution which is perfect for personalised NextDNS on the road.