1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Questions regarding Linksys EA8500

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by Murtaza12, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Murtaza12

Murtaza12 Regular Contributor

So in another section, I posted a thread asking what router to get for my dads study, had a low budget of around $100, however I found a great deal on a Linksys EA8500 and don't want to miss out.

I have a few questions for EA8500 owners on this forum:

-Do you have issues with 2.4GHz stability or performance?
    I've been reading on Linksys forums, and on Amazon reviews, some people complain that while 5 GHz is perfectly fine, the 2.4 GHz band tends to drop out quite often and the only way to fix it is to reboot every time it happens.

-Are there any known major issues with the stock Linksys firmware?
    Since it won't be in my room and I want it to be hassle free, I can't install DD-WRT on it, so I'd like to leave it on the stock firmware.

-Does the stock firmware allow you to change it to Access Point mode?
    I checked the UI emulator for the EA8500, and while it doesn't mention Access Point mode specifically, it does mention Bridge Mode, is that the same thing?

-Any quirks or annoyances about this router that I should be aware of?

-Is this router a safe buy in 2018 (almost 2019)?

Specs look quite similar to my Netgear R7800, so I'm hoping it'll be fine.

If I think of more questions later, I'll edit the main post, but for now this is all.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. psychopomp1

psychopomp1 Senior Member

Yes, the EA8500 is a great router for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi - i had one a couple of years ago. It uses Qualcomm Atheros radios and for wifi performance its very similar to the Netgear R7800. On the downside its user interface is a bit basic but it offers all the common features one would expect from a router. Yes bridge mode = access point mode.

Murtaza12 likes this.
  4. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

I don't own an EA8500 but I can answer some of the questions.

This sounds like an environmental problem such as interference from nearby networks. Sometimes this is unavoidable but other times you can reduce interference by choosing a different channel.

You should be able to configure it as a wired access point simply by disabling the DHCP server under Connectivity->Local Network.

Wireless Bridge mode would essentially be the opposite of an access point. When configured as a bridge, the device would connect wirelessly to the primary access point and provide wired access via its LAN ports. Repeater mode starts with wireless bridging but re-broadcasts a wireless signal for other devices to connect to. This FAQ entry provides links to instructions for configuring the EA8500 as a bridge or repeater.

The specs are good...

Murtaza12 likes this.
  5. Murtaza12

Murtaza12 Regular Contributor

Good to know, however from whatever I've read, the 2.4 GHz issues started after the 1.14 firmware update.

That's the interesting thing. Wireless Bridge Mode and Wireless Repeater Mode were two different options in the router GUI, but there's another option just named 'Bridge Mode' which @psychopomp1 confirmed is actually Linksys' name for Access Point mode.

6. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

So it is.

Murtaza12 likes this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!