What's new

QVR Pro raid setup issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pauluk

Occasional Visitor
Hi All

Had QVR Pro installed for a while but on a non-raid drive, so just purchased another drive to create a raid for QVR storage. But i cant seem to see it when I go into QVR PRo to create a new recording space. My old drives are there but not the new raid (Datavol3). Its currently syncronizing (again!) took 6 hours before but didnt show up that time.
Any ideas? TY

1658841210916.png

1658841239946.png
1658841328550.png

Is the new drive initialized? Sometimes they ship uninitialized and won't be seen by systems until you do it yourself. Just hook it up to your PC and check and do if not. Then put it back in the qnap.

Thanks but it’s seen by the NAS storage fine and I can setup as a raid 1. It’s just QVR fails to see it as a storage option, if it’s not setup correctly to be discovered.

Oh, well in R1 it should only see a single disk. Well any raid should show as a single disk.

Leave it to sync and delete the qvr and set it up again and it should see the new pool. There might be some symlink buried in the config that's causing the visibility issue.

Thanks, yeah that fixed it. Had to remove QVR and then do a clean install. I backed up just the camera settings as a normal backup just restored the recording drive as before ie no new raid. Which is a bit rubbish of Qnap.

Bad coding is usually the issue. I run into stupid stuff with Linux sometimes like this but other apps. Even drivers that seem correct but aren't the right version and need to be blocked to pick up the correct version to make things work. This is just one example of why I usually don't recommend off the shelf NAS devices because the OS has plenty of easter eggs to deal with and you can't see under the hood to fix or tweak things.

QNAP though is providing me some out of the box networking items that work well. I used one of their WIFI card to host an AP off the Linux box for cheaper than an AP off the shelf and I'm still using their 4-port 5GE NIC for NAS connectivity which is size for the throughput of the drives vs being stuck at 1GE or 10GE., I've even owned one of their NAS boxes before building my own out of a PC that rolled up several different appliances into a single box.

QNAP overall though is still a decent option as long as you know how to fix things that creep up.

ok thanks.
Yeah also found some more nasty stuff with QVR pro. Installed everything back and it wouldnt record to the new raid after i reimported back my cameras. In the end had to just completely remove all QVR and any folders. Restart the NAS and do a clean install and setup and then it would record ok.

That's about how it goes sometimes but, now you have more space and raid. Just something to file in the back of your head when you upgrade again.

Yeah good thing is that it now plays back much better than before, almost instantly i can jump back and forth along the timeline whereas before there would be a second delay.
Thanks for the help.