What's new

R7000 running XVortex 380.64_0 can't see Dell-2155cdn in AirPrint

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gkasica

Occasional Visitor
Hello:

I've just changed internet providers from Uverse to a local high speed wireless carrier - Ethoplex here in Jackson WI. The reasons were cost, speed and AT&T was blocking ports that we needed after 10 years and wouldn't/couldn't/didn't know how to unblock them. Anyway the issue.

I have a new Netgear R7000 here running the XVortex 380.64_0 code,
Network Consists of a public IP Space 64.250.105.224/27 with the printer at 64.250.105.232. Addresses are all static assigned and fully DNS qualified.
Private Network is 192.168.1.0/24 assigned both DHCP and some static addresses.

The problem is I cannot see the Dell Printer from ANY iPhone/iPad device. It simply doesn't show up. The iDevices are all on the Private side network. The printer needs to have a public adddress (or be NAT'd to one) to support some remote functions here(scanning to email, remote printing, etc.)

I know the printer has Bonjour protocol on it and its active
Bonjour (mDNS)
Port Status On
Host Name netwrx1-ptr
Printer Name Dell 2155cdn Color MFP (BA:89:6B)

What do I need to do with the R7000 to get this resolved? It worked fine with the AT&T router/wireless modem out of the box no changes needed.
I'm an IT and network person by trade and to have this thing be this difficult is very annoying.
Hopefully someone can provide some assistance better than on another forum where I was told buy a 2nd printer - at $600+ for this one that's not an option or practical spacewise.

Thanks,
George Kasica
gkasica@netwrx1.com

wath are your setting for the 2.4GHz/5GHz?
Youe´r printer is maybe use the G not a N wifi network?
So you have to set AUTO i wireless mode, se if that works.
And shoose CH bandwidth 20/40/(80)MHz.

Last edited:
Both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz are at auto. The Printer is on an
a

ethernet cable so no wireless is active. I do have the wireless module however installed (you can only run one or the other not both at the same time). It doesn't appear to allow selection:
SSID netwrx1
Network Type Infrstructure
MAC Address 08:00:37:BA:89:6B
Link Channel 0
The R7000 is set to
20/40 for 2.4GHz
and 20/40/(80) for 5GHz

Don't leave your WiFi channels to auto.. For 2.4ghz choose the least congested, non-overlapping channel, 1,6, or 11. Select 20 mhz. For 5ghz, you will have to experiment depending where you are. If you can see channels 149+, try one of those..

Ok I've set them at 11 for 2.4GHz and 149 for 5GHz. Also 20MHz on each with no better success even moved the printer onto the private IP space so it was on the same sub-net as the iPhone/iPad devices doesn't get it showing up even by having it wireless vs. Ethernet connected.

Last edited:
Ok I've set them at 11 for 2.4GHz and 149 for 5GHz. Also 20MHz on each with no better success even moved the printer onto the private IP space so it was on the same sub-net as the iPhone/iPad devices doesn't get it showing up even by having it wireless vs. Ethernet connected.

CH 149-165 are for outdoor using.

OK folks can I get SOME kind of a consistent answer with this? I've got 4 responders and 5 different answers on the things.
This band that band, this channel that channel. I'm not the R7000 air print expert. If I wait wouldn't be asking for help.

Everytime I'm making these changes I'm disconnecting everything in the wireless network or worse everything period if it needs a reboot. We have people working here - or trying trying to anyway.

Nothing that I've done above has worked any better than the default settings. Can the R7000 even support airport at all?? Should I get a different router? Use dd-wrt code?? Some other code?

I'm not trying to be a pain here but trying to do this with conflicting info is near impossible.

Some other code?

Probably would get better support in any event going back to factory firmware, or DDWRT...

As for the firmware you're running - running Asus' intellectual property on a non-Asus device doesn't win a lot of friends - maybe ask XVortex himself...

Given the issues I'm having I'm going back to Netgear firmware or dd-wrt. It seems that none of the 3 support AirPrint so there's not much reason to be running non stock FW for us here. As for non-ASUS device running ASUS FW I wasn't aware it was theirs I was under the impression this was open source. Sorry.