What's new

R7800 Error: No space left on device - Trying to install Entware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Got it...that worked. I'm updating my readme.doc file as we go on this. I'd like to get Entware and NetData installation process detailed as best as possible for users who want to use this on Orbi.

Will have to figure out the mkswap thing if thats something that is needed or desired.

More later.

Thank you.

Ok, for those who want this, this works on Orbi RBR50 model routers.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mE5W3sl5QTIhOcaYEiyjhsCheD45Paep

Last edited:
Will have to figure out the mkswap thing if thats something that is needed or desired.
As I said:

(1) Use if swap is optional. It is needed for memory consuming applications from Entware.
(2) I'll add in the next release: mkswap and swapon/swapoff

Voxel.

Ok, this worked.
GNU Nano opened in the telnet program.
I presume I don't need to use this again since we were just debugging here?

Regarding your quickstart.txt information,
"Create the file /overlay/root/ .profile to set PATH for Entware:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

export PATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"

Is this the correct file to create? /overlay/root/ .profile or is there supposed to be text after root/ and .profile? i.e. somethingtext.profile? or is the space needed here before .profile?
Just confirming this entry.

It is in:
https://voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Orbi-RBK50-Voxel-firmware/RBK50-V9.2.5.1.13.1SF-HW.zip

nano editor:

Try in putty:
Code:
export TERM=xterm
nano /mnt/sda1/autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh

Voxel.

Ok, will wait for next release.

Thank you.

As I said:

(1) Use if swap is optional. It is needed for memory consuming applications from Entware.
(2) I'll add in the next release: mkswap and swapon/swapoff

Voxel.

/overlay/root/.profile

Exactly such name. Usually files names when the first symbol is “.” are not displayed by ls command, but “ls -a”. Linux practice for special files.

nano and export TERM=xterm. This program putty could/should be customised to force setting the TERM environment variable automatically. Google how to. It is useful for intensive using Entware and command line.

Voxel.

Will this be something added to your version of FW? Or will this need to be done each time Entware is installed on initial installation?

/overlay/root/.profile

Exactly such name. Usually files names when the first symbol is “.” are not displayed by ls command, but “ls -a”. Linux practice for special files.

nano and export TERM=xterm. This program putty could/should be customised to force setting the TERM environment variable automatically. Google how to. It is useful for intensive using Entware and command line.

Voxel.

Will this be something added to your version of FW? Or will this need to be done each time Entware is installed on initial installation?

There is a topic in the same QuickStart.txt for Orbi. "2. Overlay partition on USB."

So if you prepare such "overlay" on your USB drive it will be automatically used after every reboot, after every re-flashing new firmware. No any manual actions are needed. At least until your USB drive is alive. I.e. if you prepare the file on the root of your USB:

/mnt/sda1/overlay/root/.profile

this file will be used and will be automatically copied to /overlay/root/.profile i.e. you will see it entering by telnet or ssh as

/root/.profile

Automatically. Every reboot. Every time after you flash new firmware. No any special actions are needed to restore this.

Voxel.

There is a topic in the same QuickStart.txt for Orbi. "2. Overlay partition on USB."

So if you prepare such "overlay" on your USB drive it will be automatically used after every reboot, after every re-flashing new firmware.

I'm assuming this is only applicable to the Orbi firmware??

Anyway, I've added these lines to the post-mount.sh on my R7800:
Code:
if [ ! -f /root/.profile ]; then
        touch /root/.profile
        echo '. /opt/etc/profile' > /root/.profile
        chown root.root /root/.profile
fi

So after a firmware update, it'll recreate /root/.profile (which will end up in overlayfs which is in flash on R7800?) and that .profile dot sources /opt/etc/profile into the session.

I'm assuming this is only applicable to the Orbi firmware??
Yes. Orbi uses RAM drive for overlay partition. Specific vs R7800/R9000.

Anyway, I've added these lines to the post-mount.sh on my R7800:
Yes, there was a thread something like how to organize automatic restore changed files for R7800/R9000 after flashing new firmware. Your solution is fine of course. There could be additional actions such as too restore /root/.ssh or /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml or whatever else.

My current post-mount.sh is just common solution. I used some time some changes forcing mount /mnt/sda1/entware as /opt. After this e.g. ReadyCLOUD was automatically installed to USB drive instead of /overlay (saving internal flash memory).

Voxel.

Thank you voxel. Will look into this more. It's been fun working with your FW on the Orbi. Glad this provides an alternative solution to stock FW. ;)

So if you prepare such "overlay" on your USB drive it will be automatically used after every reboot, after every re-flashing new firmware. No any manual actions are needed. At least until your USB drive is alive. I.e. if you prepare the file on the root of your USB:

/mnt/sda1/overlay/root/.profile

this file will be used and will be automatically copied to /overlay/root/.profile i.e. you will see it entering by telnet or ssh as

/root/.profile

Automatically. Every reboot. Every time after you flash new firmware. No any special actions are needed to restore this.

Voxel.

QuickStart is in my zip with Entware.
I am out of kbd now (smartphone)
Voxel.
You made a QuickStart.txt only for Orbi users, right?
For R7800, I never found such a file either it in tar with Entware or in zip with Firmware (contains only .img fw). I always followed instructions from README in site (and I had to manually create /opt first for Entware to work).

You made a QuickStart.txt only for Orbi users, right?
Right. There are specific differences in Orbi firmware vs R7500/R7800/R9000/R8900. So either special topic in my README or attached QuickStart.txt as I did.

Differences are e.g. in overlay partition, dropbear setup, Entware usage, disabling specific features not needed for many Orbi users and not included into routers in README.

For R7800, I never found such a file either it in tar with Entware or in zip with Firmware (contains only .img fw). I always followed instructions from README in site (and I had to manually create /opt first for Entware to work).

That's right. For your R7800: README. No QuckStart txt for R7800.

Voxel.

Just a quick question, if I were to revert back to stock FW then at some point choose to come back to Voxels FW, what is the best method to backup or reconfigure the router for Entware after Voxels FW is reloaded? I presume if the USB drive is removed and stock FW is loaded, then later on, Voxels FW is loaded back, I presume there is some re-configuration of Entware on the router that needs to be applied so that the USB drive is accessed again by the FW?

Just wondering here. I'm planning on going back to stock FW and hoped to come back to Voxels with little hassle if possible with getting Entware re-configured after the migration.

I presume if the USB drive is removed and stock FW is loaded, then later on, Voxels FW is loaded back, I presume there is some re-configuration of Entware on the router that needs to be applied so that the USB drive is accessed again by the FW?
Well, as far as I can presume you should be able to switch to the stock and back to my version and NO any additional manipulations are needed to make Entware workable again. If you do not reset your settings to factory defaults of course. But it is better to remove USB when booting this stock version...

Voxel.

Thank you Voxel. I had planned on removing the USB Drive first from the router, then reverting back to stock FW, running some tests, then come back to your FW. Will give this a try and not reset anything.

Well, as far as I can presume you should be able to switch to the stock and back to my version and NO any additional manipulations are needed to make Entware workable again. If you do not reset your settings to factory defaults of course. But it is better to remove USB when booting this stock version...

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!