What's new

RAM full, Wifi crash, what can I do?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slytho

Regular Contributor
Hi!

While using Skype for video conferences my AC86U's Wifi keeps crashing atfer some time - sometimes it takes half an hour, sometimes only a few minutes. Wifi is gone then, neither my laptop or the smartphone can find the SSID anymore. I have to plug out and in the router to make the Wifi appear again.

I found out the RAM is quite packed all the time - see the attached image, no matter whether or not Skype is running. I assume this RAM usage might be a reason for the problem. I used AMTM to install a few extra programs. I hoped the HTOP-command would help me identify the RAM-culprit, but to me the MEM-column look good, see the screenshot.

What hints do you guys have? How can I narrow down the problem? Why is my RAM so packed?

Attachments

• RAM.png
    RAM.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 129
  • HTOP.png
    HTOP.png
    240.2 KB · Views: 135
Do you have a swap file or partition set up on a thumbdrive?

Yes, I used AMTM to create a swap file on an external ext2-formatted USB drive attached to the router. I did so because I can remember some of the AMTM programms recommended setting up a swap file.

What other scripts are you running via amtm or standalone?

The absolute amount of RAM that is shown 'free' isn't a problem by itself, btw. Linux manages RAM very well on its own and is tuned to use it fully as needed.

I would recommend using Ext4 with journaling on the USB drive instead, but that shouldn't be causing your issues either though.

Personally, I would remove all scripts and see if Skype works for you. If it does, then add things back in one at a time until you find whichever one is causing your issues (if any). But, always start with the basic scenario for testing.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!