What's new

Random Sound Over Network - What is it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I unplugged the ethernet cable from the computer to the Arris Surfboard router. Remember, however, that I experienced the same sound when I used a Netgear DSL router.

Presently, connected to the router are a Sonos controller (sound has occurred with or w/out it connected) and a Synology NAS (same). I also have network cable which connects the router to an upstairs room in the house (have heard sound when network is connected).

It's true that the sound may occur at any time (so the experiment of unplugging the computer from the router) is not certain, but... since this started, I've *never* not experienced the issue for 2 days.

In my experience, I *may* have heard a sound on an Android tablet (not the same sound, but a click that sometimes happens a moment after the sound on the main computer). My wife uses a Microsoft Surface connected wirelessly and says she has never heard it (but she doesn't have it on all the time so we can't be certain ).

I've used at least 3 different cables (two of them 3 feet, the other longer). The shorter ones are the standard yellow ones (Cat5e or Cat6, I'm not certain).

EDIT: Sorry if I'm a Noob about this.

Hmm. I'm trying to determine whether the noise is indeed being picked up as RF interference and if so, is it via the network cables.

If you hear the sound on wireless devices then it's definitely not RF being spread through the network.

If we were to suspect RF being picked up by the network cables then we would be looking for very long cables, perhaps running alongside a mains cable. How about the cable that feeds the upstairs room?

The other option we mentioned was that is was interference on the mains circuit which could effect mains powered devices.

As I said, I'm not certain it is coming through the wireless devices. My wife hasn't heard it on her Surface; what I heard on my Android tablet may be due to my hyper-sensitivity.

We had the long cables installed (both upstairs and downstairs) about a year ago but the problem didn't start until much later. However, at one point, I did disconnect the ethernet cable which led to this connection from the router and it made no difference.

Would RF have that constant specific sound?

Also, when you asked about Cat5e vs Cat6, would that make a difference?

If it is "interference on the mains circuit," is there anything I can do to stop (or at least reduce) it?

Thanks again.

We had the long cables installed (both upstairs and downstairs) about a year ago but the problem didn't start until much later.
Yes but the source of the interference will be coming from elsewhere (and possibly picked up by the cables) and could have started afterwards.

Would RF have that constant specific sound?
No, that's why I'm still doubtful that it is RF-related. The sound is "too musical" to my mind. But you seem to have eliminated everything else.

Also, when you asked about Cat5e vs Cat6, would that make a difference?
No. Just checking that they're proper Ethernet cables and not voice cables or some such.

If it is "interference on the mains circuit," is there anything I can do to stop (or at least reduce) it?
Again we're clutching at straws, but in that situation ideally you'd want to identify the source and eliminate it. However, if that source is beyond your control (like a neighbour's fridge) then all you can do is isolate your devices. You could do that by plugging the effected devices into a UPS rather than directly into the mains socket. But that's an expensive option if you have devices in multiple rooms, particularly if you're not certain that is the cause of the sound.

P.S. The "Windows Information Bar" sound is the same style and duration, but it's too high a frequency. Unless your audio/recording setup is making things sound more "bass heavy" than they really are?

How did you record the sounds by the way? A microphone next to the speakers?

P.S. The "Windows Information Bar" sound is the same style and duration, but it's too high a frequency. Unless your audio/recording setup is making things sound more "bass heavy" than they really are?

How did you record the sounds by the way? A microphone next to the speakers?

I followed these instructions:

https://www.howtogeek.com/217348/ho...-coming-from-your-pc-even-without-stereo-mix/

I let it run until the sound was captured, then edited that portion using the same program.

btw... I have the main computer plugged into a UPS. I thought it might be the one I was using earlier and replaced. This is becoming an expensive quest.

Interestingly enough, I hadn't heard the sound at all today (with the ethernet plugged in). Our neighbors were away. Within 10 minutes of their return, the sound returned. I feel a little weird about asking them if they've installed some new device that's causing my computer to make a random sound.

I've used at least 3 different cables (two of them 3 feet, the other longer). The shorter ones are the standard yellow ones (Cat5e or Cat6, I'm not certain).
What about these cables:
We had the long cables installed (both upstairs and downstairs) about a year ago but the problem didn't start until much later. However, at one point, I did disconnect the ethernet cable which led to this connection from the router and it made no difference.
How long are they and what is the spec of the cables? How are they connected to your network/each other? How are they terminated, wall plates?

What about these cables:

Is something missing from your message?

How long are they and what is the spec of the cables? How are they connected to your network/each other? How are they terminated, wall plates?

I wasn't there when they were installed - but they must be 20-25 feet long (to the lower part of the house) and longer (maybe 50 feet) to the upper. I'm not sure of the spec. There are three wall plates. The upstairs one - connected by ethernet cable to a switch box. The downstairs one - connected by ethernet to a desktop computer (seldom used). The one in the office (where the NUC is) connects to a switch which is connected by ethernet cable to the Arris Surfboard router. As I said, I have experimented disconnecting this last connection w/out any change.

I know I'm not giving you all the details you're asking for - I'm unversed in the details of specs, etc. Sorry.

OK. I'm just trying to visualise your network. Short patch cables of 3ft or so won't be a problem, but very long cables of 25ft or 50ft have the potential to act as large antennas. Particularly if they are not installed correctly or don't use the correct cable (Cat5e or Cat6).

You now say that there are some switch boxes? What make/model? Where they placed? Presumably both downstairs wall plates connect to the same switch.

The house is three levels.
In the office (middle level), I have a D-Link GO-SW-8GE (2 cables from wall plate, 1 cable from Sonos) connected to router). Upstairs, I have a Zonet ZFS3008P (cable to MSI computer which is connected by HDMI to TV, cable to Unifi Ubiquity wireless extender, cable to the upstairs wall plate). Downstairs, ethernet cable from another wall plate plugs directly into self-built computer.
The D-Link is next to the router.

As I said, I've experimented with disconnecting the cables connected to the upstairs and downstairs extensions (the long cables) - and it made no difference.

How long have you had the D-Link? I was going to suggest that you disable its power saving feature (because I've been suspecting the noise is a network disconnect) but unfortunately it doesn't look like that's possible.

Disclaimer: I have a very poor opinion of D-Link equipment born out of my limited personal experience. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've had that little D-Link for years. At times, I have manually disconnected it b/c I also thought it might be some sort of network disconnect. That was one reason (aside from added speed) that I switched from DSL to cable.

I'm probably wrong but I still think this might have something to do with a smart device/appliance our neighbors may be using. Highly speculative but it seems like: see car in driveway=noise, don't see car=no noise. They are selling their house so if I'm right, maybe the sound may vacate with them.

Meanwhile, would you suggest anything I can do at least to minimize the sound?

It may well be something to do with your neighbours. Something with a heavy duty electric motor perhaps. It might be a radio device but it would have to be pretty powerful, which most consumer devices aren't.

Meanwhile, would you suggest anything I can do at least to minimize the sound?
Sorry, I can't think of anything.

Sorry, I can't think of anything.
Apart from... ;) If you think that the noise is RF interference being picked up by the network cables (rather than through the mains) you could replace your Ethernet cables. You're probably using standard UTP (unshielded twisted pair) cables. You could replace them with a shielded cable like U/FTP. But you'd need to replace the actual cable(s) that is(are) picking up the RF. That's more likely to be the 25ft and 50ft runs rather than 3ft cables. So that could be difficult and expensive if the cables are inside walls!

If you think that the noise is RF interference being picked up by the network cables

EMI generally doesn't sound like the sample in the original post...

This sounds like some kind of SW event triggering devices to alert...

Agreed. That's what we've been saying all along. But he seems to have eliminated everything else, so even though it's very unlikely...

Yes, I also agree it should be a SW event... but I got the same sound using 3 different computers. The only thing they had in common (as far as I could tell) was their connection to the network. In one case, even the attached hardware is completely different.

Also, if it were a SW event, to cause it, wouldn't I have to be doing the same thing every time? The sound happens spontaneously, often when I'm not even sitting at the machine.

Yes, I also agree it should be a SW event... but I got the same sound using 3 different computers. The only thing they had in common (as far as I could tell) was their connection to the network. In one case, even the attached hardware is completely different.

Are they all Windows? If so - Win7/8.x/10?

Sorry for asking that question - but it's easier to ask that rather than jump back through the thread...

Also, if it were a SW event, to cause it, wouldn't I have to be doing the same thing every time? The sound happens spontaneously, often when I'm not even sitting at the machine.
Not necessarily. Particularly if it's network event as we discussed earlier. There might be a faulty network cable or socket somewhere that is intermittently breaking and making contact, or your internet feed might be going offline. But you said that you've checked all those and you would see something in the event log.