What's new

Re : An Appeal From Tim Higgins

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Firefox as stated above on post #57.
I am also using Firefox, I did the steps in the post above and in post #23, and I still was getting the message. It turns out, in my case, I also needed to whitelist www.snbforums.com in Blur. That is what fixed it for me and allowed the ads.

I use uBlock Origin with Firefox.
Added snbforums.com to the whitelist.
Reloaded but am still seeing the yellow banner - where may be the error?

I finally made it with the updated whitelist from lonelycoder and by unblocking the ad sites in Noscript.

After reading entries in the suggested thread
1) besides snbforums.com, added also www.snbforums.com to uBlock Origin whitelist- still seeing the banner;
2) disabled uBlock Origin - still seeing.
Note that I'm running uBlock Origin as the only ad banner.

Just to test, tried two other add-ons that could interfere
3) disabled BlockSite, an add-on that allows one to blacklist sites - still seeing;
4) disabled No Coin - still seeing.

It seems to me that snbforum.com may be overreacting, but maybe I missed something. Any suggestions?

There is a new trackers discovered now:
sync-tm.everesttech.net
sync.mathtag.com
pixel.everesttech.net
cms.quantserve.com
shangri-lainternational.demdex.net

@thiggins
Those are not anything I would have installed. Clear your browser cache.
Browsing in Privacy/Incognito, etc mode should kill any trackers at the end of the session, shouldn't it?

I don't use an adblocker at all. I'm getting the popup.

There is no whitelist for a non-existant ad blocker.

Maybe I'll get one and start blocking ads since I'm being accused of that.

I don't use an adblocker at all. I'm getting the popup.
Some browsers have tracking protection built-in and enabled by default. Try a different browser or run the browser in safe mode to see if that makes a difference.

It’s not about notifying that your not seeing adds, it feels more like “I know you are blocking my adds on purpose so I’m going to give you the most annoying browsing experience I can think of, that will teach you blocking my adds” a one time banner, with a cookie would have worked to. I’m still not prepared to open the floodgates just for one site. It’s the wrong approach to “make them watch your adds”
It’s sorted now on IOS, without the additional google whitelists, I just give up for PC.

Edit: Is ads revenue based on view or click, or both?

Edit 2: Removed duplicate comment that has been moved from another thread.

Last edited:
“I know you are blocking my adds on purpose so I’m going to give you the most annoying browsing experience I can think of, that will teach you blocking my adds”
Most annoying browsing experience from a notice that is at the top of the screen that doesn't otherwise interfere with site browsing?

Most annoying browsing experience from a notice that is at the top of the screen that doesn't otherwise interfere with site browsing?
IMHO It's no more annoying than the banner that appears on github telling me to use another browser, or Google telling me to use Chrome, and far less annoying than the enormous banner Wikipedia puts up each year begging for money.:D

Today, Firefox abruptly stopped transmitting Tim's banner, yet no steps were taken after white-listing a couple of daya ago in uBlock and NoScript. Magic curses worked. Cheers.

So I white listed this site back when the banner first appeared, was gone for a couple of days, when I came back the banner was gone, went all last week no banner, even this morning there was no banner. So I logged in to the site just now and the banner is back, the ONLY change I made to my browser is to turn my "no miner" addon back on.

What gives? I'm seeing the adds on the site, why the banner again?

After it disappeared, the appeal returned today, only shorter; heck, I don't mind, I'd much rather see Tim's small appeal note than ads. Tis frustrating when nothing one does seems to have the desired effect. Cheers.

There are a few suggestions i have to help improve this site's revenue stream.

- Amazon affiliate (you may have this already but i dont see it mentioned much). amazon links to buy items you review/test using your amazon affiliate link could help too.
- Special ad sponsors from relevant companies i.e. network equipment based manufacturers, these would be part of the side and how you word them when adding them matters too.
- patreon for sponsoring tests, seeing videos of the test and to suggest tutorials, tests, etc
- get content from this site mentioned on other blog/media sites. I rarely see SNB mentioned around the web despite all the good content. I myself have had trouble finding the time after working for one abusive company after another but i fear that by the time i collect enough evidence and take legal action things might be too late. I'd love to write content and also help do tests and some less common tests, i mean not many know that the ubiquiti ERPRO can do 80Mb/s of squid proxy per core.

Doing a little bit of testing - ublock origin on Chrome triggers the dialog if active.

Just checked Safari with Ghostery (with most aggressive options enabled) and AdBlock - no impact, no alert. Which means both have already worked around the plugin.

Smart folks that want to support the site whitelist snbforums and smallnetbuilder

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!