What's new

Reboot issue on AX88U 3.0.0.4.386_41700

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LeoT

Occasional Visitor
I faced a reboot issue on AX88U 3.0.0.4.386_41700. Every time I applied some settings in the AX88U, it needs a reboot. However, all WAN connections are shown as disconnected after the reboot. I need to manually reboot all modems after my AX88U rebooted. Unplugging the cable does not help

This is my setup:
Main router: AX88U 3.0.0.4.386_41700 with Dual wan load balancing
AiMesh Node: AX92U 3.0.0.4.386_41712

This is my setup sequence:
1. Main router single WAN (reboot without any issue)
2. Main router dual WAN (reboot without any issue)
3. Main router dual WAN plus one AiMesh Node (the issue start happening)

Any suggestion? it is too annoying... I have to reboot too many devices even a small change on main router

I faced a reboot issue on AX88U 3.0.0.4.386_41700. Every time I applied some settings in the AX88U, it needs a reboot. However, all WAN connections are shown as disconnected after the reboot. I need to manually reboot all modems after my AX88U rebooted. Unplugging the cable does not help

This is my setup:
Main router: AX88U 3.0.0.4.386_41700 with Dual wan load balancing
AiMesh Node: AX92U 3.0.0.4.386_41712

This is my setup sequence:
1. Main router single WAN (reboot without any issue)
2. Main router dual WAN (reboot without any issue)
3. Main router dual WAN plus one AiMesh Node (the issue start happening)

Any suggestion? it is too annoying... I have to reboot too many devices even a small change on main router

Have you ever reset the firmware to factory defaults and configured from scratch?

OE

Yes, hard reset on main router, and re-setup as above sequence. But I did not hard reset on ax92u firmware upgrade because it is a brand-new (both actually)
Have you ever reset the firmware to factory defaults and configured from scratch?

OE

Best way to factory reset RT-AX88U & RT-AX92U (Broadcom based newer models) Works for RT-AC86U too as per few people.

1. Enable SSH LAN only setting from Router GUI from Administration -> System -> Service header -> Enable SSH -> LAN Only & SSH Port: 22
  2. Open Powershell as Admin (Right Click on Start Button in windows 10)
  3. ssh admin@192.168.50.1
  4. Enter router login password
  5. Type this command hnd-erase nvram and press Enter.
  6. Without wasting time, directly Power Off the router from mains and wait 30 seconds
  7. Turn power back on.
  8. Set up your router as new without uploading any previous config file.

Yes, hard reset on main router, and re-setup as above sequence. But I did not hard reset on ax92u firmware upgrade because it is a brand-new (both actually)

Worth reading why you should reset the firmware:

OE

The 'newness' of a router doesn't negate the need to do a full reset on it, as this case indicates also.

If the RT-AX88U wasn't fully reset after flashing the firmware it is currently using and/or a backup config file was used to restore previously used settings, then it needs a proper reset once more.

The RT-AX92U is an obvious candidate for a full reset as per the above conversation.

Remove the node from the router first.

Use the WPS method applicable for the RT-AX92U to fully reset it.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Reconnect the AiMesh node as outlined in the link below.

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

If just resetting the node doesn't fix the issues, the following should get your network to a good/known state once again.

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

I removed RT-AX92U, rebooted RT-AX88U. The issue still exists. RT-AX88U had already been hard-reset once (and at least twice actually) after flashing the latest stable firmware 3.0.0.4.386_41700...

The next thing I will try is to flash the beta firmware RT-AX88U 9.0.0.4.386.41994, hard-reset, and re-setup manually from beginning....o_O

i confirmed the same dual-wan reboot issue happened randomly in RT-AX88U 9.0.0.4.386.41994.

These are my steps:
1. flash AX88U 9.0.0.4.386.41994 beta firmware
2. Factory hard reset following - https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/
3. Manually setup dual wan load balancing (restarted 3 times and 1 failure need manual intervention to reconnect WAN)
4. Factory hard reset AX92U following - https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/
5. Add Aimesh node and continue setup (restarted 5 times and 1 failure need manual intervention to reconnect WAN)

After the first day setup issues, it is running fine now. No reboot issues found in these two days with more than 30 reboots.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!