What's new

Recommended Ethernet Cable Brands

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MikePA

New Around Here
Noob question...

I noticed there are a lot of posts about what Ethernet cables not to buy, e.g., any so called Cat 7 or Cat 8 cable, but I have not seen any posts which recommend specific Cat 5e cables. Perhaps I've missed them, however I searched this forum for the word 'recommended' and found one thread applicable for the UK.

What cables do people recommend?

Monoprice is a great place for patch cables.

This is the version I like best:

"I noticed there are a lot of posts about what Ethernet cables not to buy, e.g., any so called Cat 7 or Cat 8 cable, but I have not seen any posts which recommend specific Cat 5e cables"

You do NOT need Cat 7, 8, or 9 even.

Cat5e is plenty, Cat6 is fine, no need for Cat6A. No need for shielding, foil, etc.

If you want to go lowest cost:

Cat5e, no boot (those kind of get in my way), lots of colors and lengths to choose from.

If you want higher quality

They will custom make them for you--and I noticed the UK comment, they ship internationally.

Monoprice UK:

I haven't bought any Ethernet cable for the last decade for myself. What I did buy back then was from a custom cable manufacturer (local) that specialized in many different kinds of cables, Ethernet being one of them. I chose the best Cat5e cable they had then. Now, out of business.

If I was to buy today, I'd listen to what @Trip advises.

Monoprice is what I've used for years and years for many things, especially cables. They are made well, reasonably priced, and if you ever have an issue they will take it back no questions asked.

I haven't bought any Ethernet cable for the last decade for myself. What I did buy back then was from a custom cable manufacturer (local) that specialized in many different kinds of cables, Ethernet being one of them. I chose the best Cat5e cable they had then. Now, out of business.

If I was to buy today, I'd listen to what @Trip advises.
So, you just learned about cables from the text right? Monoprice sucks. But it's ok for home users. Any cheap cables are ok for home users though.

Last edited:
Noob question...

I noticed there are a lot of posts about what Ethernet cables not to buy, e.g., any so called Cat 7 or Cat 8 cable, but I have not seen any posts which recommend specific Cat 5e cables. Perhaps I've missed them, however I searched this forum for the word 'recommended' and found one thread applicable for the UK.

What cables do people recommend?
To assist future readers of this thread so they know what not to buy and at least one cable which works.

I bought these cables ---> Click Here and replaced the cable from the modem to the router and from my Mac Mini to the router and I am seeing 823 Mbps down and 24 Mbos mb up. I am paying for 900/25. I will also replace the other Ethernet cables with these new ones and toss the ones I replace.

Thanks all for your assistance. Lesson learned: All Ethernet cables are not created equal.

To assist future readers of this thread so they know what not to buy and at least one cable which works.

I bought these cables ---> Click Here and replaced the cable from the modem to the router and from my Mac Mini to the router and I am seeing 823 Mbps down and 24 Mbos mb up. I am paying for 900/25. I will also replace the other Ethernet cables with these new ones and toss the ones I replace.

Thanks all for your assistance. Lesson learned: All Ethernet cables are not created equal.
Home use.
1. If you can spend enough money you can buy expensive cables.
2. If you don't want to spend money you can buy cheap cables.
3. If you just want to use expensive cables you can buy them.
4. There is no expensive cable on Amazon.

Proved and Quality cables are here. They are not for Home use but for Enterprise.

I had been using so-called Cat 7 cables for years with no issues. About a month ago, I could not get more than 100 Mbps. I asked the initial question and was advised to use Cat5e/Cat6. (Thanks, again for this advice)

Then, instead of searching Amazon and randomly buying a cable, and maybe buying another cable which would not solve my problem, I thought I'd ask for a specific cable recommendation. The only specific recommendation was from @NXIL who mentioned Monoprice which was quickly pooh poohed as junk.

Then the advice was any cheap cable without bad reviews. OK. Display a list of all Cat5e/Cat6 Ethernet cables, select one, look for 1 star reviews and if found go to next product. Yeah, this might take a while. So, I asked again.

Reminds me of what our internal customers thought of IT (and Network), "Ask IT what time it is and IT tells you how to build a watch." :)

So I picked one and again, I posted an Amazon link to the cables which solved my problem. I hope it helps others.

So, you just learned about cables from the text right? Monoprice sucks. But it's ok for home users. Any cheap cables are ok for home users though.

Wrong. I have a lot of experience with bad cables from many of my customers that think cheap is good enough.

@MikePA
I looked at the specs of the cable I required, then started looking by price. I found a deal on 10-pack 15ft CAT6 for $14 on Amazon. I tested each cable, prior to installation, with the thought of easy return if not correct.

I used Cat5e in 2001

I only use patch cables no long runs, and Cat8

I only use bespoke, artisan crafted cables.

Unless the artisan is busy. Then I go to Amazon and search for cat 6 sort by ratings. Pick the cheapest of them, buy.
If it suck when it arrives, return it and search again.

Haven't had cable problems in years.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!