What's new

Recommended Method of Debugging Connectivity Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kanji-San

Regular Contributor
For the last week or so, I have been experiencing sporadic ISP connectivity problems. Netflix streams stall, audio streams get interrupted. This happens maybe 4 to 5 times a day. This is not WiFi-related and I have not seen these issues before.
I already started pinging DNS servers every 30 seconds and I do see them down 12 times within a 24 hour period. This is significantly more than I saw in the past.
What is a good method to debug these?

Try pinging another destination. Could be your whole connection that's going down, not just the DNS.

@Kanji-San I find that certain things I watch on Netflix are interrupted on a regular basis, but I've yet to look into logs to see if they're happening, say, when connmon or speedtest are doing their thing.
Are you running any of the scripts?

Try pinging another destination. Could be your whole connection that's going down, not just the DNS.
I'll try this. Thanks.

@Kanji-San I find that certain things I watch on Netflix are interrupted on a regular basis, but I've yet to look into logs to see if they're happening, say, when connmon or speedtest are doing their thing.
Are you running any of the scripts?
No scripts, except FlexQoS.
I have never had issues with Netflix stalling. The FIOS connection has been working very well. This has started just lately. It might be ISP-related.

No scripts, except FlexQoS.
I have never had issues with Netflix stalling. The FIOS connection has been working very well. This has started just lately. It might be ISP-related.
do you really need QoS with FiOS? I'd expect the filtering to introduce a latency...but I suppose if things are coming at you fast enough, a bit of a delay might make it easier to absorb

do you really need QoS with FiOS? I'd expect the filtering to introduce a latency...but I suppose if things are coming at you fast enough, a bit of a delay might make it easier to absorb
QoS is more a function of the available bandwidth not the underlying technology. QoS has been working quite well with the 100Mbit/s up & down.

QoS is more a function of the available bandwidth not the underlying technology. QoS has been working quite well with the 100Mbit/s up & down.
Indeed.
why did you choose FlexQoS over cake?

Indeed.
why did you choose FlexQoS over cake?
I used to run FreshJr's QoS on my RT-AC68U which worked great. So, FlexQoS was a logical choice :) for my new AX88.
I have never tried Cake. I'm a strong believer of not messing with a running system:p

that's very wise of you.
if you should ever fancy a change, Cake just works, but can be tweaked.