What's new

Recommended QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daveo

Regular Contributor
I have 900Mbps up & down in the UK with TOOB, but have noticed that sometimes my music glitches in Spotify (on PC or any of the Echo Shows I have).

Is it worth installing a QoS, and if so, which one, FlexQoS or CakeQOS ?

You don't need QoS on Gigabit symmetric ISP.

FlexQoS uses Adaptive QoS, may or may not work for you. CakeQoS is incompatible with NAT acceleration and will cut your WAN-LAN throughput down to about 350Mbps.

OK, thank you for that.

Any idea why music sometimes glitches on Spotify (it's not regularly, but I'm usually just playing games, browsing internet or messing about with my servers (UK & Canada) or local NAS server) ?

weird. I'm doubtful running QoS schemes will be your resolution

If it's not your ISP gateway config, then you're right to suspect (and consider) a router config adjustment:
You don't mention a swap in your entware setup, so maybe setting one up (if you haven't) might help? 1GB of Router RAM can get filled up fairly easily if you're Gaming and moving stuff about on the LAN side with your NAS and/or to/from those remote servers on the WAN side. amtm makes it a snap to add a GB or 2 (or more) of space to aid the router's RAM - be careful with making it too big, though
Have you enabled IPv6 on your network? Can you? (should you?)

Also, sometimes your Spotify cache gets pretty jammed up...check that first on your streaming host. you'll probably be surprised at its size

These are just the first musings of my exhausted brain. I'm sure much smarter people than me will offer better viewpoints...some who may even be familiar with your ISP.

Actually, since you've piqued my curiosity, I did some web searching and found this thread here:

Last edited:
Any idea why music sometimes glitches on Spotify

No, sorry. I don't use Spotify. The reason for glitches is somewhere else though. Your ISP is high throughput low latency and audio streams are taking perhaps under 1% of your bandwidth. I would start troubleshooting with stock Asuswrt firmware. It's simpler with less exposed configuration options. If the glitches disappear - it's something around your custom firmware with scripts configuration.

No, sorry. I don't use Spotify. The reason for glitches is somewhere else though. Your ISP is high throughput low latency and audio streams are taking perhaps under 1% of your bandwidth. I would start troubleshooting with stock Asuswrt firmware. It's simpler with less exposed configuration options. If the glitches disappear - it's something around your custom firmware with scripts configuration.
OR it could be something with his sound setup? The CPU not working properly?
The glitches is not buffering, is it?

I do have a 2GB swap partition on the USB stick (which is a USB3 32GB stick (ran in USB2 mode).

I will see if I can clear out the Spotify cache and see if that resolves the issue.

My ISP does support IPv6, but I've had no luck getting it to work with the ASUS router. It does work if I use their provided Linksys router.

I do have a 2GB swap partition on the USB stick (which is a USB3 32GB stick (ran in USB2 mode).

I will see if I can clear out the Spotify cache and see if that resolves the issue.

My ISP does support IPv6, but I've had no luck getting it to work with the ASUS router. It does work if I use their provided Linksys router.
Are you using native mode?

I managed to get IPv6 working in the end.

No idea why it didn't work initially when I enabled it on the router after switching to Toob.

All I did today was change drop-down from Disabled to Native, and changed the DNS servers to use Cloudflare IPv6 DNS servers (as I use Cloudflare for IPv4 DNS servers), and it worked.

By the way, clearing the Spotify cache has helped, so will monitor and see how things go.

I managed to get IPv6 working in the end.

No idea why it didn't work initially when I enabled it on the router after switching to Toob.

All I did today was change drop-down from Disabled to Native, and changed the DNS servers to use Cloudflare IPv6 DNS servers (as I use Cloudflare for IPv4 DNS servers), and it worked.

By the way, clearing the Spotify cache has helped, so will monitor and see how things go.
Good good. Happy my rambling/musings helped you.
The Spotify cache has jammed up on me before, so I just go clear it out periodically. Tidal doesn't seem to have the same issue

if you need QoS very often do not depend on your internet speed but ISP internet quality
as I am gaming I have QoS for 1Gbit set but at Xeon CPU as I want to have latency below 25 the best below 10 - easy test link below. W/o QoS my latency is about 50
https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=a6cbe241-e38f-4629-b07e-3abd1de4674f
sam simple test you have even implanted via onkla speedtest.

I do not want to start War today but the reason people telling 1Gbit do not need it it is just because typical router cannot handle it. If you have good latency you do not need it if not u are.

more devices you have connected, or for example using torrent w/o limits etc you need someway to control trafic

Last edited: