What's new

[Release 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EDIT: 2-Dec-2017: 382.1_2 has been released, providing additional fixes, including KRACK for the RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100 (RT-AC86U was already patched in 382.1). Changes since 382.1:

Hello,
[...]I wanted to make you aware of an issues I have with the new build (RT-AC88U_382.1_2) I applied yesterday. The VPN kill switch seems to have stopped working and a after a number of tests seemed to intermittently route via the VPN. I have copied the logs if you want them and re-flashed with the 380 build.

And FML. I did a factory reset and the minimal setup and the problem remained so I flashed stock ASUS FW_RT_AC88U_300438218991 and the problem still existed! What I did not do was reboot the phone between flashes. Now that I'm on stock FW I rebooted the phone and the problem went away but I suspect this will be temporary.

January patches for Google devices are out, and updating my Pixel 2 XL to the latest patch seems to have resolved the issue killing my AC88U when waking from sleep, at least for now. I ended up having to use my old phone through Xmas so that the network would be functional for guests.

Here is an interesting situation:

I am testing an OpenVPN server configuration in an Ubuntu 16.04.3 to which an AC86U (382.1) is connected as a client and the server has an iroute configuration to reach the client LAN from the OpenVPN Server side. This connection is made across 6,000 miles away, and I am currently at the server location.

So, I was able to connect to the AC86U just find, until rebooting it via the GUI. After the reboot, the VPN client is connecting and the iroute is established ( I am able to ping the LAN behind the AC86U ), but I cannot login to the router using the GUI, the connection times out; nor can I connect with SSH nor do RDP to a PC (W10) behind the router, I get a ping response from this PC however.

The AC86U has Entware with ab-solution and a swap file running off of a USB memory stick.

1. Is this a failed reboot?
2. Is there any way to prevent this in the future?
3. Is there another way to establish a connection with the router and force a full reboot?

Unfortunately, the remote client location is unmanned and I won't be able to be there until 13JAN18 :eek:

Any suggestions?

I have found what seems to be a bug for me, on the 382.1 code for RT-AC88U routers (likely others as well). On previous versions of stock and Merlin Enhanced firmware, I am able to hide the SSID of my main encrypted WIFI connection (and yes, I am still able to on 382.1). However, once that is done, what I am now no longer able to do is open a Guest Wifi connection on the router. Hiding the SSID on the main connection, now seems to hide the SSID of the guest connection too. This needs to be fixed, please.

As soon as I unhide the SSID on my main Wifi connections, the guest networks appear.

This never used to be the case. If it's something that Asus is doing intentionally, then I will not be able to continue down this path. This is not an acceptable issue.

This needs to be fixed, please.

Wifi code is outside of my control.

Beside, hiding the SSID is pointless, and with some clients it actually causes performance issues. What truly happens when you set an SSID to be hidden is that the beacon is sent with a blank name. It doesn't hide your router at all.

Wifi code is outside of my control.

Beside, hiding the SSID is pointless, and with some clients it actually causes performance issues. What truly happens when you set an SSID to be hidden is that the beacon is sent with a blank name. It doesn't hide your router at all.

Understood, thank you.

January patches for Google devices are out, and updating my Pixel 2 XL to the latest patch seems to have resolved the issue killing my AC88U when waking from sleep, at least for now. I ended up having to use my old phone through Xmas so that the network would be functional for guests.

And that lasted all of 12 hours before it started happening again. This router really hates this phone. I'm traveling for a month and will consider a factory reset or device replacement when I return.

Pixel 2 XL
Wake from sleep
Destroy the lan for 1-20 pings
Fine as long as it stays awake and connected

Edit:
On Merlin's latest
Also happens on stock ASUS.

Last edited:
And that lasted all of 12 hours before it started happening again. This router really hates this phone. I'm traveling for a month and will consider a factory reset or device replacement when I return.

Pixel 2 XL
Wake from sleep
Destroy the lan for 1-20 pings
Fine as long as it stays awake and connected

Edit:
On Merlin's latest
Also happens on stock ASUS.

The only issue I had with my Pixel 2 XL was stuttering during speedtest over wifi on both of my routers with on various versions of Asuswrt-Merlin. The 8.1 fixed that issue and smooth sailing thus far.

What do you mean by "Wake from sleep and Fine as long as it stays awake and connected"? I don't see the option to have wifi turn off during sleep on 8.1.

Hi

Is there an easy way to block certain sites, I want to block an popup update that keeps prompting me on my tv to update,

I need to block snu.lge.com and su.lge.com

Thanks

Hi

Is there an easy way to block certain sites, I want to block an popup update that keeps prompting me on my tv to update,

Thanks

you can use firewall -> URL filter.

if your TV uses HTTPS to access these web sites, use AB-Solution blacklist and configure your router's IP address as DNS server on your TV.

Hi

Thanks

Network Services Firewall allows you to blacklist certain IPs. Determine the IP of the update server, and block it there.

Another workaround would be to configure those sites to return 127.0.0.1, by customizing the host file. That way, the TV will try to connect to itself (and fail).

Cheers guys, Im still a little unsure what to do, Im not very good when it comes to this stuff, can I not just add the addresses I posted into a black list in my router somewhere.

Thanks

The only issue I had with my Pixel 2 XL was stuttering during speedtest over wifi on both of my routers with on various versions of Asuswrt-Merlin. The 8.1 fixed that issue and smooth sailing thus far.

What do you mean by "Wake from sleep and Fine as long as it stays awake and connected"? I don't see the option to have wifi turn off during sleep on 8.1.

So glad to hear from someone else with the same phone! Thank you sir. I suppose my next step would be a factory reset of the phone and then even a device replacement.

What I meant about sleep was:
I can consistently kill the network by waking the phone from sleep.
If I keep the screen on and prevent the phone from sleeping, the connection remains solid.
As you stated, that option for wifi during sleep is no longer a thing.

Which ASUS routers are you using?

Please confirm that after your routers and phone have been up for 2+ days that you can put your phone down for a while, then wake it and loose 0 pings on your lan or wan.

I use my PC (wired) to monitor pings. When I wake my Pixel 2 XL pings die to the router, as well as to any other device on the router and the internet.

Cheers guys, Im still a little unsure what to do, Im not very good when it comes to this stuff, can I not just add the addresses I posted into a black list in my router somewhere.

Thanks

iptables approach:
Code:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp -d snu.lge.com -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp -d su.lge.com -j DROP

Type iptables -L INPUT and ping the sites before and after the change. You can add these to the firewall-start file so they get created at boot up time.

Another option is to create a free account with Opendns and route your DNS to them. They have a screen where you can block access to websites by category or domain name. You will probably need to setup a DDNS service to update your WAN IP with them. Asus has one. dns-o-matic is a free one that I use. AB-Solution and Skynet have already been mentioned. So you have some options.

I've got this issue, but only with 2.4ghz. The 5ghz is working fine, my 2.4ghz gets slower and slower and then after around 10 to 20 minutes nothing will connect to it.

I am not sure if a factory reset will fix it, although I have performed one just now, followed by re importing previous settings. I am hoping this will clear the issue, but early signs aren't good.

I've got a couple of CCTV cameras on 2.4ghz and normally when streaming from home you can see the datetime stamp seconds tick up one after the other, it doesn't jump, however they are jumping already, up to about 5 seconds.

Update: I've given up with 382.1_2, don't have time to re-input all my settings and reissue VPN certs etc. and other people complaining on here about WiFi issue too, so I have gone back to RT-AC88U_380.68_4 and it is running sweet as before.

I was forced to go back to 380.69 myself, the wifi in this 382 branch broken for the 3100 and I cannot play with the wifi to get it to work as I provide on call support (the only kind of working work around is to power cycle the router every day with the power button, a reboot does not help). Factory default does not resolve the issue either.

I hope Merlin has time to investigate the issue.

I hope Merlin has time to investigate the issue.

There's nothing for me to investigate, wifi is closed source, and will be whatever Asus's code is.

Try the usual recommendations: disable MU-MIMO, Airtime Fairness and Implicit Beamforming.

So glad to hear from someone else with the same phone! Thank you sir. I suppose my next step would be a factory reset of the phone and then even a device replacement.

What I meant about sleep was:
I can consistently kill the network by waking the phone from sleep.
If I keep the screen on and prevent the phone from sleeping, the connection remains solid.
As you stated, that option for wifi during sleep is no longer a thing.

Which ASUS routers are you using?

Please confirm that after your routers and phone have been up for 2+ days that you can put your phone down for a while, then wake it and loose 0 pings on your lan or wan.

I use my PC (wired) to monitor pings. When I wake my Pixel 2 XL pings die to the router, as well as to any other device on the router and the internet.

Are you on 8.1? I would try a factory reset before getting into a device replacement scenario.

I've have had my phone since late October and have not experienced your issue. I have used the phone with both routers in my signature. Both routers and phone have went for 7+ days up time without issue. My phone has been 'sleeping' for an hour now. I just woke it and saw no issues. I do have Settings>Display>Advanced>Ambient display>Always on set to on. I turned that option off and let my phone fall asleep. I woke the phone an no issues checking pings with my wired PC.

Forgive me for not remembering the details of your prior posts but have you tried different firmware versions with factory resets after updating the firmware? I run a pretty basic set up on my router. I'm no wifi expert but a few options that you might want to trouble shoot are:

Wireless 2.4 GHz Professional
Turbo QAM - Disable
Airtime Fairness - Disable

Wireless 5 GHz Professional

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Are you on 8.1? I would try a factory reset before getting into a device replacement scenario.

I've have had my phone since late October and have not experienced your issue. I have used the phone with both routers in my signature. Both routers and phone have went for 7+ days up time without issue. My phone has been 'sleeping' for an hour now. I just woke it and saw no issues. I do have Settings>Display>Advanced>Ambient display>Always on set to on. I turned that option off and let my phone fall asleep. I woke the phone an no issues checking pings with my wired PC.

Forgive me for not remembering the details of your prior posts but have you tried different firmware versions with factory resets after updating the firmware? I run a pretty basic set up on my router. I'm no router expert but a few options that you might want to trouble shoot are:

Wireless 2.4 GHz Professional
Turbo QAM - Disable

Wireless 5 GHz Professional

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input! I've tried stock firmware and factory resets and the problem still exists. My phone is on the latest 8.1. At one point I disabled the 5Ghz and had a minimal 2.4Ghz setup and the problem continued even on stock FW. I have an AC88U, but I even had set my AC66U as an access point and connected my Pixel 2 XL there - same issues! Perhaps it is the device. I'll probably try a factory reset of the phone when I get home and consider replacement if that doesn't solve the issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!