What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.3 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anyone else experiencing problems when adding devices and setting or changing addresses through DHCP?
Every time I add or change a device the router hangs and reboots.
RT-AC68U, didn't have any problems with the earlier (380 something) release.

No such issues here. Any clues in syslog as to why your router is rebooting?

Just recognized that my vpn clients can't connect anymore. I replaced the whole /jffs/openvpn folder with the previous one from the old 380 train (did a factory reset after upgrade), the newly exported ovpn file is identical to the old one but clients stall at tls negotiation:

Code:
Feb 19 20:53:03 ovpn-server1[19727]: TCP connection established with [AF_INET6]::ffff:<client-ip-address>:64313
Feb 19 20:53:03 ovpn-server1[19727]: TCPv6_SERVER link local: (not bound)
Feb 19 20:53:03 ovpn-server1[19727]: TCPv6_SERVER link remote: [AF_INET6]::ffff:<client-ip-address>:64313
Feb 19 20:53:04 ovpn-server1[19727]: <client-ip-address> TCPv6_SERVER READ [54] from [AF_INET6]::ffff:<client-ip-address>:64313: P_CONTROL_HARD_RESET_CLIENT_V2 kid=0 pid=[ #1 ] [ ] pid=0 DATA len=0
Feb 19 20:53:04 ovpn-server1[19727]: <client-ip-address> TLS: Initial packet from [AF_INET6]::ffff:<client-ip-address>:64313, sid=f1eaf93b 966158a9
Feb 19 20:53:04 ovpn-server1[19727]: <client-ip-address> TCPv6_SERVER WRITE [66] to [AF_INET6]::ffff:<client-ip-address>:64313: P_CONTROL_HARD_RESET_SERVER_V2 kid=0 pid=[ #1 ] [ 0 ] pid=0 DATA len=0
Feb 19 20:53:04 ovpn-server1[19727]: <client-ip-address> TCPv6_SERVER READ [62] from [AF_INET6]::ffff:<client-ip-address>:64313: P_ACK_V1 kid=0 pid=[ #2 ] [ 0 ]
Feb 19 20:54:03 ovpn-server1[19727]: <client-ip-address> TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
Feb 19 20:54:03 ovpn-server1[19727]: <client-ip-address> TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
Feb 19 20:54:03 ovpn-server1[19727]: <client-ip-address> Fatal TLS error (check_tls_errors_co), restarting
Feb 19 20:54:03 ovpn-server1[19727]: <client-ip-address> SIGUSR1[soft,tls-error] received, client-instance restarting
Feb 19 20:54:03 ovpn-server1[19727]: TCP/UDP: Closing socket

I'm using a 68U with PPPoE DSL and dual-wan failover. Any ideas what's going wrong?

Thank you,
Chris

Firmware is running great, I have only one issue with the open VPN client configuration, if I reset the VPN client configuration with the "default" button it seems to be cleared. Even after browsing away and coming back to the config page. When I then reboot the router then the complete configuration is back and not cleared. I'm using the rt-ac86u router.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T713 met Tapatalk

The settings do get properly cleared, the actual issue is that the webui shows the wrong client instance. That was actually a separate issue caused by Lastpass. The one you experienced is that settings get reset, but not written back.

What router model do you have?

Last edited:
AC-3200 on 384.3, (Thank You)
However NAT Accel not working?

I cant select to Auto, upon "apply settings" always return with "Disabled"
Read mouse over text hinting at other services/features may conflict, and 1 by 1 I turned them ALL off, still comes back after "apply" with Disabled...
I found the problem, under:
Tools:OtherSettings:HW acceleration Disabled - incompatible with: IPTraffic

Once this is Turned Off, NAT Accel is avail again as CTF (Cut Thru Forwarding)

Would be nice for general users to have a pointer to this required switch, suggest minor edit to mouse over text that already provides some hints.

Enzo

Upgraded my rt-ac3200 and all working fine so far.
I have to admit that the features I was looking forward to are not there (yet) for the 3200 (IPSec VPN server, Alexa and IFTTT) but here’s hoping that becomes available soon.

I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this, when I upgraded to the new build (384.3) working flawlessly for about two days then strange things started to occur from;

1. Slow, laggy GUI - When logging into the router
  2. NAT errors occurring when UPNP was enabled - Breaking all port forwarding regardless if it was on or off and breaking the internet effectively no internet whatsoever if UPNP was enabled.
So, rather than be a hindrance I reset the NVRAM once again, then again using the WPS button then re-flash 384.3 build, setup once again working.. Then it would break again after about 24 hours of testing.

Before these problems, I was on 380.69_2 which ran sweet as a nut so, I decided to flash back, obviously clearing and resetting the NVRAM from 384.3 - boot into recovery mode then use the Asus FW Restore utility, uploaded then the programme reported that it couldn't be flashed - so OK, so reset, still on 384.3 managed to flash the previous FW through the GUI, no problems, back to 380.69_2, setup all my information, WiFi etc, then had to reboot, would you believe constant soft boot loop, so my testimonial is that 384.3 is buggy and breaks everything even if you're on a previous build, build 380.69_2 was working flawlessly, UPNP etc.

So, in the end I flashed and cleared NVRAM 384.3 and flashed 384.4 alpha build, been running 48 hours without a glitch touched wood. I might add this is all on a RT-AC3200 - Unless @RMerlin can correct me on something on why UPNP breaks everything in 384.3 then I can speak from my testimonial and maybe other users whom are running the 384.3 have no problems or can replicate this issue, all I know from experience 384.3 is somewhat borked.

I believe that it was covered off that once you upgrade, especially your model, from 380 to 384 branch you cannot revert back as the boot loader is upgraded. This would explain all your issues trying to revert back.

on 382 and 384 I'm still facing low speed wireless after 30 minutes of uptime on 2.4Ghz band... Same config as 380.69_2 where I didn't have any problem at all... :(
100Mbps DL, drops to 12-15Mbps, and latency to same server goes from 25ms to 254ms... Even over LAN I have latency (i.e. my IP Cams have up to 3-4 seconds disconnections)
5Ghz works perfect

Testing with RT-AC88U A1 & S. Galaxy S7 Edge (Exynos version)

Last edited:
on 382 and 384 I'm still facing low speed wireless after 30 minutes of uptime on 2.4Ghz band...

Doubt this is a Merlin software issue. Far more likely to be related to the untouchable-by-Merlin lower level radio management firmware written by Asus.

Solved: selected wrong firmware model.

think I'm having trouble getting this installed for some reason.

using Firefox.

is hanging at "please wait, applying settings".

how long should it sit on this screen?

Last edited:
on 382 and 384 I'm still facing low speed wireless after 30 minutes of uptime on 2.4Ghz band...

Doubt this is a Merlin software issue. Far more likely to be related to the untouchable-by-Merlin lower level radio management firmware written by Asus.
Confirmed... it's even happening with official firm too... I'll get in touch with them. Probably has to do with some closed source code

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

on 382 and 384 I'm still facing low speed wireless after 30 minutes of uptime on 2.4Ghz band... Same config as 380.69_2 where I didn't have any problem at all... :(
100Mbps DL, drops to 12-15Mbps, and latency to same server goes from 25ms to 254ms... Even over LAN I have latency (i.e. my IP Cams have up to 3-4 seconds disconnections)
5Ghz works perfect

Testing with RT-AC88U A1 & S. Galaxy S7 Edge (Exynos version)

I'm having the exact same issue with my ac3100 (also had the problem withe the 382 branch of code). I also have wireless cameras. What type of cameras are you running? I have 6 samsung cameras. Could it be somehow rtsp related? I don't have the problem on my wired connections though. I do have the same latency issue on the 5ghz network with wireless drops for my repeaters and 5ghz wireless cameras. The average latency on my wireless goes form less than 10ms to well over 100ms after anywhere from 1 to 4 hours.

I reverted back to 380.69 until we can figure this out.

Last edited:
I'd really like to update my RT-AC68U on firmware 380.69_2, but am a bit hesitant because of the factory defaults reset- mostly because of the TOR and OVPN servers and client I finally have running as I want them to..

I've searched but cannot find a guide on how to migrate these configurations- Any hints?

I did see some people simply restore the old config after upgrading and resetting- does that really work? (seems weird)
Thanks for the help!

I'd really like to update my RT-AC68U on firmware 380.69_2, but am a bit hesitant because of the factory defaults reset- mostly because of the TOR and OVPN servers and client I finally have running as I want them to..

I've searched but cannot find a guide on how to migrate these configurations- Any hints?

I used the NVRAM Save/Restore Utility that can be found here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r26-2.19521/

I don't use TOR, but it did a fine job of migrating all of my settings, including OpenVPN Server with all certificates and keys. :)

Edit: RT-AC68U

Last edited:
Seems to be 50/50 when it comes to this update. Some have issues and others don't. I have a 68U and I think I'll wait till some of the bugs are fixed.

Im on 383.3 on an Asus 3200, everything seems fine. However I did find an issue with the Two-Way IPS. I Mine cryptocurrency and it thought it was Malware. Ok, fair enough I can see that being potentially malware. However it Generated over 3000 hits. When going to the Report page to take a look, it makes the Router hang, Everytime. I had to delete the .db file it creates that contains the logs, to make it function.

You may want to add an ability to purge this file from the GUI.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!