What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an RT-AC5300. I’ve updated to this update from 384.4 beta 3. A day after update I can’t connect to the login page of the router. Only way to get in is to reboot router then the next day I can’t get in again. Any help?

I have an RT-AC5300. ... Only way to get in is to reboot router then the next day I can’t get in again. Any help?

My wife sometimes reports the same to me when I need her to toggle the VPN off/on to regain access. See post above yours. I always figured it was something to do with the VPN issues I experienced. Are you using VPN ?

Okay, so you're confirming that this is a lost feature since version 380.69_2 (I think it worked fine before version 384.4) ?
Thanks

Maybe, I never noticed if it was the case with the previous DPI engine.

My whole family has been very upset with me the last few days.......using 384.4
Reverted back to 380.69.2 yesterday.....we are now a happy family again. :)

Thank you RMerlin
384.4 Works really great on my 87u with DDNS/vpn server/vpn client (selective routing+killswitch) and Dnscrypt-proxy script
Almost boring good nothing to do..;)

What's the best way to know what changes I've made from defaults since I aquired the router? 384-4 recommends a factory reset and setting everything up manually, so I downloaded the backup cfg but it appears to be all in binary when opened in Notepad.

Has anyone had problems with media bridge mode?
As soon as I connect my second router as media bridge on 5G Wifi I loose connectivity with all the other devices (smartphone, notebook, etc). As soon as I turn off media bridge it works again.
I can read lots of: "br0: received packet on eth2 with own address as source address" messages in both system logs once media bridge is on.

PS: devices connected to 2.4G wifi keep going.

An update to my media bridge issue: I tried to revert back to my previous firmware/settings but it doesn't work anymore. Looks like my MAC address changed. Bu the way, if I choose the 2.4G wifi for media bridge all works well, I can connect both 2.4G and 5G wifi with my devices. As soon as I switch to 5G I got issues. I tried to power off, did 30 30 30 reset, nvram erase command, disconnect USB devices, very basic configuration... no luck.

To be honest, I'm not very optimistic but there's always hope!

It's really up to Asus as they have to release the source.

Don’t be too optimistic. You should really be asking Asus to release the source.

Not gonna happen, since this is proprietary technology they have developed, not GPL code.

I have an RT-AC5300. I’ve updated to this update from 384.4 beta 3. A day after update I can’t connect to the login page of the router. Only way to get in is to reboot router then the next day I can’t get in again. Any help?

I would download a new copy of the firmware and install the software.
Next turn the router off and unplug the router and turn it on for 5 seconds. Turn the router off and plug back in.
While holding the WPS button on the side of the router turn the router on and continue holding the WPS button until the LED on the front blinks fast.
Release the WPS button and reboot the router. It will take a longer time then normal because you just reset the router. Let it boot and wait 10 min after the router has booted to finish any thing it has to do to finalize the reset.
Now login and reconfigure the router and you should be good to go.
I would screen shot the settings you have set so you remember them. You will need to re enter them after the reset.

Good luck.

Long-time listener, first-time caller.

I've been using ASUS-merlin for years on multiple routers--thank you very much, RMerlin--and 384.4 is the first release I've ever rolled back, so here to report what I've seen.

I installed 384.4 on my RT-AC3200, then did a factory reset, then migrated my settings from 384.3 with john9527's User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility (R26.2).

It seemed to fundamentally work, but then:
  1. One Ubuntu laptop with Broadcom Wi-Fi prompted for my Wi-Fi password endlessly. I fought it hard, and saw nothing interesting in the ASUS System Log, even with Logged Packets turned on in Firewall settings (my first time with that, admittedly, so perhaps I did something wrong there.)

For the record, dmesg on the laptop revealed several "denied authentication (status 1)" messages for each attempt to connect.

2. I swapped out the Broadcom Wi-Fi card in that Ubuntu laptop for an Intel-based Wi-Fi card and made sure the latest drives and firmware were in place, but nothing changed.

3. My wife reported the Ecobee thermostat was offline. I power-cycled the Ecobee and reconfigured Wi-Fi settings, but no luck--it behaved a lot like the Ubuntu laptop.

4. My wife reported half the LIFX Wi-Fi lightbulbs in the house were unresponsive. I power-cycled each, and could get only some working again.

5. I noticed a couple Chromecast devices that weren't able to rejoin the network.
So, I did another ASUS-merlin factory reset without a firmware change and re-migrated settings, but saw all the same results.

It was very late at that point, so I got some sleep, and this morning rolled back to 384.3, did another factory reset, and re-migrated settings, which got everything in the house working again.

I hope some part of this feedback is helpful, and please let me know if I might be able to provide any additional details, RMerlin.

Long-time listener, first-time caller.

I've been using ASUS-merlin for years on multiple routers--thank you very much, RMerlin--and 384.4 is the first release I've ever rolled back, so here to report what I've seen.

I installed 384.4 on my RT-AC3200, then did a factory reset, then migrated my settings from 384.3 with john9527's User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility (R26.2).

It seemed to fundamentally work, but then:
  1. One Ubuntu laptop with Broadcom Wi-Fi prompted for my Wi-Fi password endlessly. I fought it hard, and saw nothing interesting in the ASUS System Log, even with Logged Packets turned on in Firewall settings (my first time with that, admittedly, so perhaps I did something wrong there.)

For the record, dmesg on the laptop revealed several "denied authentication (status 1)" messages for each attempt to connect.

2. I swapped out the Broadcom Wi-Fi card in that Ubuntu laptop for an Intel-based Wi-Fi card and made sure the latest drives and firmware were in place, but nothing changed.

3. My wife reported the Ecobee thermostat was offline. I power-cycled the Ecobee and reconfigured Wi-Fi settings, but no luck--it behaved a lot like the Ubuntu laptop.

4. My wife reported half the LIFX Wi-Fi lightbulbs in the house were unresponsive. I power-cycled each, and could get only some working again.

5. I noticed a couple Chromecast devices that weren't able to rejoin the network.
So, I did another ASUS-merlin factory reset without a firmware change and re-migrated settings, but saw all the same results.

It was very late at that point, so I got some sleep, and this morning rolled back to 384.3, did another factory reset, and re-migrated settings, which got everything in the house working again.

I hope some part of this feedback is helpful, and please let me know if I might be able to provide any additional details, RMerlin.
Just a quick question. Was the usb drive plugged in during the flash and reset phase? I would remove all drives and try again.

Just a quick question. Was the usb drive plugged in during the flash and reset phase? I would remove all drives and try again.

Yes, I did leave the USB drive plugged in! And this was the first time in all these years of success that I had one plugged in. Assuming my wife won't frown at me too hard, I'll give that a try here shortly. Thanks!

Yes, I did leave the USB drive plugged in! And this was the first time in all these years of success that I had one plugged in. Assuming my wife won't frown at me too hard, I'll give that a try here shortly. Thanks!
After reset to factory defaults wait 10 minutes before configuring or importing from @john9527 utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!