What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait 24 to 48 hours for dhcp leases to expire and then it should work like mine.

maybe. I get the same behavior and I'm not using the Asus box to provide DHCP services. It's failing to show clients that are wirelessly connected to it as wireless devices. Not sure how DHCP would even play a role in this as it's not layer 1 aware.

Guys, enough with posts about networkmap clients showing as wired. Please, do a forum search, and do some thread reading before posting in that very thread. This must be the THIRD post about this today alone, on top of probably a dozen similar posts in the past few weeks about this very point. Forums aren't just for posting, people need to also take the time to read a bit.

I'm tired of repeating the same answers over and over. I will be ignoring any future posts about this, or the wireless reports from people who didn't do the basic troubleshooting steps previously posted. There's no reason why a firmware version that works for the majority of people would be broken for a few specific persons in regard to wireless. Wireless is as much about your CLIENTS as it is about your router. There hasn't been any major wifi-related change in nearly a year now. The used driver in nearly all models has been the same version since last year.

Do your homework. There's even a sticky about basic things to do when dealing with wifi issues.

and nevertheless I get different behavior out of two different AC5300 units with the exact same clients. In fact I wasn't reporting client behavior, I was reporting behavior of the router. I understand you point but reject the simplicity of your view point.

Something to note:

N55U - Bridged mode
AC5300 - PPPOE

When Changing pretty much any settings in the 5300, my connection drops out and it takes around 5 min for it to come back due to being adsl2+. Why is this?

When I connect to the N55U, it still shows it has an IP address, I can even go into it's network tools and ping from it with returns. When I try do the same from the 5300, it does not return and I have to wait. I get that the PPPOE is now done from the 5300, but why does it have to drop on even the minor settings change?

@RMerlin
anyone have an email address or link to report bugs to Asus.

This support link should be what you want. https://www.asus.com/support/Product/ContactUs/Services/questionform/?lang=en

One thing I noticed is that '1st levels' reviewing these communications must be paid to close tickets fast. Generally you hear back that some wizard is working on your problem and that a solution is coming forth in 48-72 hours blah blah blah and then they feed you some configuration page that does not solve anything and if you don't respond the ticket gets closed. So you need to keep responding to their subsequent emails until you wear them down and they escalate the problem.

Hi,

Updated my AC68U from 380.69_2 to 384.4, but i have a problem with Adaptive QoS because nothing's working anymore (Bandwidth Monitor, QoS, Qos Statistics, Web History).

I'm using dual-wan in load-balancing mode (for a long time now <= 380.69_2).
QoS was working before <= 380.69_2.

The System Log show now (384.4) : "dpi: TrendMicro function can't use under load-balance mode" !
Is there any way to get QoS/WebHistory working again ?

Thank You.
I have a 68u as well. your best bet would be to go to the Admin page and the restore tab. Then do a 'factory initialize'. then rekey your settings by hand/manually. don't reload any old saved configs. After that you can better assess what still does not work.

Some updates in case anyone else is having the same problem or troubleshooting...

So I'm still getting wireless issues since upgrading my centeral router to 384.4. This time i haven't downgraded back to 380.69 and i found something interesting. Looks to be some sort of spanning tree issue. I got the following error messages in my repeater logs:

Mar 18 09:10:22 dnsmasq[545]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
Mar 18 09:10:22 kernel: br0: port 4(wl1.1) entering disabled state
Mar 18 09:10:22 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering disabled state
Mar 18 09:10:22 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering disabled state
Mar 18 09:10:22 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering disabled state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 4(wl1.1) entering learning state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering learning state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering learning state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering learning state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 4(wl1.1) entering forwarding state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering forwarding state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering forwarding state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering forwarding state

While this is happening, i can't ping nodes directly connected to this repeater or access them. Since i really don't have any loops in my network, I'm tempted to turn off spanning tree to see what happens. Any way to disable spanning tree on the repeaters? The menu for switch is not there when the device is in repeater mode.

So I backed out of 384.4 and went back to 380.69.2 - my repeater network was just too unstable on the new code. As far as i can see the instability may be related to these error messages

On the repeater side
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mar 20 07:39:44 dropbear[27939]: Early exit: Terminated by signal
Mar 20 07:39:44 dnsmasq[27936]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
followed by lots of topology STP changes

On the router side
~~~~~~~~~~
Mar 20 07:39:39 dnsmasq-dhcp[898]: DHCPNAK(br0) 192.168.1.45 e0:b7:b1:13:12:35 wrong server-ID
Mar 20 06:49:18 dnsmasq-dhcp[898]: DHCPNAK(br0) 192.168.1.166 00:16:6c:a8:cc:af wrong server-ID
Mar 20 06:49:21 dnsmasq-dhcp[898]: DHCPNAK(br0) 192.168.1.45 e0:b7:b1:13:12:35 wrong server-ID
etc...

Best guess at this point is something is causing dropbear to crash which causes repeated layer 2 spanning tree issues. I disabled spanning tree on the router, but it didn't seem to make any real difference.

So this could very well be unrelated to the firmware change, but after installing and rebooting speedtest.net and also my PSVue TV think I'm in PA instead of NE. I didn't make any changes to the settings after installing the update. I have DSL PPPoE and on the WAN settings I see Get the WAN IP automatically is set to No. Could this be the problem? If not any ideas on how to fix it or this completely controlled by my ISP?

You mean, Tools-> Other Settings--> Disable Asusnat tunnel ?

I have enabled this and tried again to enable IFTTT, but still get "Account Linking Failed. (2)"

Then you will have to wait. I see Asus made some changes to it in 20467, so maybe it resolved issues.

I still personally recommend against using IFTTT. This is a security risk. The only reason I allowed the feature to be there is because I don't want to remove features from the stock firmware. If it were up to me, that feature would never have been implemented.

So this could very well be unrelated to the firmware change, but after installing and rebooting speedtest.net and also my PSVue TV think I'm in PA instead of NE. I didn't make any changes to the settings after installing the update. I have DSL PPPoE and on the WAN settings I see Get the WAN IP automatically is set to No. Could this be the problem? If not any ideas on how to fix it or this completely controlled by my ISP?

Yes this was just a coincidence to the firmware update. I contacted my ISP and they fixed it.

Hi,
On my asus RT-AC5300, with dual WAN active on Load Balance,
the web get stuck on "performing a tls handshake", it take like forever.
With one of the WAN inactive - Enable WAN with NO, all is ok.

For now I stick with 380.69_2 that is ok with my dual WAN configuration

Updated my AC-68U from 384.3 to 384.4. Running for more than 12 hours, no problems at all so far.

Thanks, Merlin!

Updated my AC1900P from 380.69 to 384.4. (including full factory reset and re-entering all the settings from scratch as recommended). So far no problems, however I'm using very "Micky mouse" setup. :)

Thanks Merlin for all your hard work and other peeps for helping out :)

Just updated my RT-AC88U to 384.4. Did a reset and everything seems to work perfectly.

I had to adjust the time:
UK5etz5.png

This is how it should be corrected:
lhubGb2.png

I disabled the 5Ghz on my Router, shouldn't the Smart Connect be automatically disabled ?
Pa1rLpx.png

I always disable UPnP on my router, but what is Secure UPnP mode and why exactly is it secure ?
QdVTapa.png
I manually adjust my ntp server to one local to me and I never have any time issues. With ntp.org I would have periodic issues. Another workaround was using pool.ntp.org.north-america for my application. I also used several US Government servers but they could be wonky. The edu server near me seems to always be available.

I have a 68u as well. your best bet would be to go to the Admin page and the restore tab. Then do a 'factory initialize'. then rekey your settings by hand/manually. don't reload any old saved configs. After that you can better assess what still does not work.
Thank you but I already tried!
Have you tested dual wan in load balancing mode with an Adaptative Qos that works on your 68u (just to confirm the problem) ?

Yes but good luck with the usb 3 drive mounting and delivering the throughput a person needs.
You can't have it both ways. Disabling the "reducing USB 3.o interference" gives you the USB performance you want but at the risk of reduced 2.4 GHz performance. I cannot explain the technical reasons why but it is what it is. :(

You can't have it both ways. Disabling the "reducing USB 3.o interference" gives you the USB performance you want but at the risk of reduced 2.4 GHz performance. I cannot explain the technical reasons why but it is what it is. :(
here you can read why it will interfere as upper range of USB3.0 spread spectrum will be 2,4-2,5GHz (same as WiFi):
http://uk.pcmag.com/networking-revi...the-truth-about-usb-30-and-wi-fi-interference
https://superuser.com/questions/1282590/why-does-usb-3-0-interfere-with-2-4ghz-devices

All a question of good shielding, router board and ports, cables and device itself (!!!) as they all are nearby the high sensitive antennas!

I found my issue with 384.4, after updating from 380.69_2, and yes I went through ALL the requirements like factory reset etc etc. 5GHz was fine and recognised all my clients. 2.4GHz was available but none of my 2.4GHz clients could be seen. I found that I had to re-enter the WPA key for each device. I have a lot of them, like security cameras (10), Wemo devices (15) etc. It was a pain as I had to connect each camera via ethernet to update the key and the Wemo devices had to be reset and the parameters re-entered again. But all are working again now. The key has never changed, so why the difference between 5GHz radio and 2,4Ghz radio?

Try doing a complete power cycle of your router to do an electrical reset of its internals. Ideally:

1) Turn off router
2) Unplug power
3) Turn it back on for 5 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge
4) Turn it back off
5) Plug back the power
6) Turn it on and let it boot normally

I factory reset and re programmed the RT-AC5300 when i upgraded to 384.
I just powered down the router and unplugged the router and restarted the router.
Everything but the site survey page seems to be working. The page is trying but gets no data from the WiFi. All I get is: Searching for available networks, please wait...

Last edited:
@RMerlin

Still plugging away at the IPSec vpn issue here.(5300). What it seems to be at least from my testing is the VPN allows a connection most times, even after it fails or stops responding for periods of time.

Its highly reproducible, (just reboot) the server fails to allow access inside the network or through the network. It much acts like a connection with no DNS ability. Toggle the server off and on and it succeeds.

I have tried specifying a dns in the optional settings to alleviate the issue with no success and trying a disabling of the built in firewall, per ASUS recommendation if issues present themselves.

I would rather not do a nuke and pave again, I just performed one between beta 3 and 4.... :(

But, alas thats beta life. Now time to dig in and go for the gold. :) Along with the power down/up procedure you have documented. I will likely not have time to do so until the weekend, so if you or anyone else happen to have any suggestions........I am all ears, otherwise Ill see you on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!