What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
skeal, Thank You! Help still deal....
The devices operate from wifi...
Leave this for a minimum of 12 hours and then it should straighten itself out. You need to let the dhcp lease run out.

When I disable the optimisation it doesn’t recognize the usb3 full stop.
What router model is this? Could you send a screen shot of this "optimisation" setting please?

I upload 384.4 on my AC88U and works in general fine only have problem to see movie on my Samsung TV from USB drive connected on router. After 58 seconds movie stop. After movie start can observe bad image time to time until stop. With 384.3 movie work for longer time but show same problems with image. I go back to 380.69 where work perfect.

Wow 1000 Messages in 2 years! Man I talk a lot!......:p

I upload 384.4 on my AC88U and works in general fine only have problem to see movie on my Samsung TV from USB drive connected on router. After 58 seconds movie stop. After movie start can observe bad image time to time until stop. With 384.3 movie work for longer time but show same problems with image. I go back to 380.69 where work perfect.
Try the "Force as Master Browser" setting in USB Application>Media Services and Servers>Network Place (Samba) Share/Cloud Disk.

Exactly, it's opposite
Whats opposite?

It says exactly what is shown on your info-picture: For fast USB3 disable that feature may result in some kind slower 2,4GHz Wifi, enable the feature will set slow (USB2.0)-mode and have no issues with 2,4GHz Wifi.

If you want fast USB3.0 than disable it. If you are lucky your device will than work correctly with about double speed compared to 2.0-mode.

What they dont write but you need to know:
Some (or many) USB3.0-devices dont work correct in 3.0-mode on asus-routers because of their bad firmware implementation, so you may need to enable it to use them as 2.0 devices and to get them running at all.
For me as I sayed have a stick, that even in 2.0-mode dont work on this port (will hang after some time), must be on really 2.0 for proper function.

Last edited:
I have an issue with my RT-AC3200 and 384.4_0 firmware.
WAN Port is been connected at 1Gbps, after update/reset.
The problem is that in less than 24 hours it falls at 100Mbps.
If I restart the router, it come back again at 1Gbps and so on.

This problem has appear after I have updated the router to 384.3_0.
I have hoped that this problem will be solved after I have update the router to 384.4_0 firmware, but it was not solved.
My internet connection is 1Gbps.
Think it is rather a hardware problem (bad connection to pins or cable). Test with new cable if it still occours.
And change back to older firmware wheter it is solved with it, think will still be the same.

When QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor is enabled are the download/upload meters wrong way round? when streaming over internet to my media box it shows in upload bandwidth meter not download bandwidth meter.

EDIT: QoS bandwitdh monitor meters must be wrong way around as QoS stats show it in downloads but those meters are showing wrong way around.

@RMerlin
Am i rite in thinking QoS is closed source so the meters being wrong way round something that needs reporting to asus? anyone have an email address or link to report bugs to them, anyone else notice this?

My max upload speed is 20Mbps yet the upload bandwidth monitor meter goes up to approx 55Mbps which is my max download speed and vice versa.

384.4 and Repeater Mode

Ok, since i didn't see anyone else try it. I upgraded my hub to 384.4 and immediately lost connectivity to nodes behind my repeaters even though the repeaters were connected to the hub and responsive. Interestingly though. I only lost connectivity to the newer repeaters running the 384.4 branch of code. So i tried downgrading the repeaters to 380.69_2 branch of code with the hub running 384.4 and for now everything is up and running. Only time will tell if the wireless latency /instability i experienced before reappears.

Here is my config in case it helps anyone

RT-AC3100 - Running 384.4 (Hub)
RT-AC66R - Running 380.69_2 (Repeater spoke)
RT-AC68U - Running 380.69_2 (Repeater spoke downgraded to 380.69_2)
RT-AC88U - Running 380.69_2 (Repeater, not currently in use also downgraded to 380.69_2)

So far it's stable and my cameras all seem to be working. Let's hope it stays stable.

Some updates in case anyone else is having the same problem or troubleshooting...

So I'm still getting wireless issues since upgrading my centeral router to 384.4. This time i haven't downgraded back to 380.69 and i found something interesting. Looks to be some sort of spanning tree issue. I got the following error messages in my repeater logs:

Mar 18 09:10:22 dnsmasq[545]: exiting on receipt of SIGTERM
Mar 18 09:10:22 kernel: br0: port 4(wl1.1) entering disabled state
Mar 18 09:10:22 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering disabled state
Mar 18 09:10:22 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering disabled state
Mar 18 09:10:22 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering disabled state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 4(wl1.1) entering learning state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering learning state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering learning state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering learning state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 4(wl1.1) entering forwarding state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 3(eth2) entering forwarding state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 2(eth1) entering forwarding state
Mar 18 09:10:29 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering forwarding state

While this is happening, i can't ping nodes directly connected to this repeater or access them. Since i really don't have any loops in my network, I'm tempted to turn off spanning tree to see what happens. Any way to disable spanning tree on the repeaters? The menu for switch is not there when the device is in repeater mode.

Last edited:
Since updating my AC68U to 384-4, I've encountered a significant drop in the single threaded speed test that is available at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest. The maximum I've seen on the single threaded test is now 35Mbps, with the multiple threaded test maxing out my connection at 80Mbps. I demonstrated this with running 10 separate speed tests yesterday. Immediately after the 10th test, I've reverted back to 380.68-4 and the single threaded speed test was back to its usual 80Mbps and that was conducted 3 minutes after the last one on 384-4 and every test I've run since on 380.68-4 has shown 80Mbps for single threaded downloads.

I can confirm that I did a full factory reset after installing 384-4 and the speedtest results were also indicative of what I was seeing in real world usage as well.

Any ideas on why single threaded throughput is so bad on the new firmware?

Since updating my AC68U to 384-4, I've encountered a significant drop in the single threaded speed test that is available at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest. The maximum I've seen on the single threaded test is now 35Mbps, with the multiple threaded test maxing out my connection at 80Mbps. I demonstrated this with running 10 separate speed tests yesterday. Immediately after the 10th test, I've reverted back to 380.68-4 and the single threaded speed test was back to its usual 80Mbps and that was conducted 3 minutes after the last one on 384-4 and every test I've run since on 380.68-4 has shown 80Mbps for single threaded downloads.

I can confirm that I did a full factory reset after installing 384-4 and the speedtest results were also indicative of what I was seeing in real world usage as well.

Any ideas on why single threaded throughput is so bad on the new firmware?

What was the latency to/from your test site? Maybe try the same thing using fast.com or speedtest.net and make sure you are using the same test server (as opposed to service).

Last edited:
What was the latency to/from your test site? Maybe try the same thing using fast.com or speedtest.net and make sure you are using the same test server (as opposed to service).

Latency increased by about 8ms on the latest firmware - both fast.com and speedtest.net use multithreaded downloads by default - so that won't provide useful information as multithreaded throughout is fine on the latest firmware and only single threaded seems to be affected

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!