What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I was continuing to try and work on my issues tonight (5300) and Spectrum very politely (not) decided to do some maintenance and an IP change for me. Of course the DDNS client did not pick it up in time. Of course this very likely totally threw out my testing till tomorrow night. (My issues before defaulting usually arose late night/very early am)

I should know better, the Spectrum maintenance window here is always Saturday nights and compounding that fact... is that I travel for a living. Grr low amount of trouble shooting time.

Ah there goes the modem rebooting again.:(

Merlin, I am looking forward to helping with the next iteration, though looks like it will be a bit out in the future from a post I saw. My current issues, I can live with or work around till then...

Cheers,

Just installed 384.4_2 over 384.4_0 and now QOS seems to be broken. I disabled QOS then rebooted then re-enabled QOS and same issue.

Bandwidth monitor barely shows any traffic. I stream TV via Sling and Xfinity's streaming app so I should be seeing continuous download traffic of around 4 Mbps. Also, the QOS classification pie chart seems to be classifying everything as Net Control Packets.

See attached screen captures.

UPDATE:
No ... the Upload and Download stats seem to be reversed. They were correct on 384.4_0.

UPDATE 2:
I was streaming with Xfinity's streaming app on my Roku and it doesn't look like traffic streamed with that app is classified properly. When I switch back to SlingTV the traffic was recognized correctly.

Bottom line ... false alarm. It's an issue with the way the Xfinity app is streaming.
RT-AC68U

Been mentioned previously.

lol my bandwidth meters are opposite way round and QoS statistics are just nothing but nonsense, one minute one category will show a few gb, then nothing then another category will show an amount, then it resets, it's so messed up, think i am going to have to take a look at FreshJR Adaptive QoS.

Same here, unfortunately it's closed source as nothing to do with Merlin, Asus QoS is totally screwed. I bought RT-AC86U last week and after not trying QoS for about 2 years thought i'd give it another go, wow think it's worse now than back then.

If using VPN download/upload bandwidth meters are wrong way around, as you describe on the QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor page settings are lost on reboot meaning having to reapply after every reboot. Same with category priority, after reboot settings are lost so again have to reapply after every reboot. QoS Statistics well is just so wrong it's unreal.

But again nothing Merlin can do about this has to be reported to Asus, go back a few pages and he told me what you got to do and truth is i cannot be bothered, seems like asus make it hard to report and esculate bugs from users.

ah that's it then, i am running two vpn clients on router. Thank you.

Basically when running vpn bandwidth meters display wrong way around, known issue but no solution and an asus problem as it's closed source amongst the other issues, QoS statistics are totall messed up, QoS have always been messed up in my opinion.

Last edited:
My rtac5300 still wont do that quick restart after a wifi change. I have to pull the power. Never happened before 384. It even happens after factory resetting. Only thing I have is a usb stick.

It never comes back from this screen

You have changed SSID or security setting. This will result in wireless clients disconnecting. Please adjust client's setting for connecting again.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...4-4-is-now-available.45406/page-5#post-389978

Upgraded my AC86U from 384.4 to 384.4_1 (will install _2 later today).

When remotely logging into the router I have no internet connectivity via IPSec VPN, but it does work via OpenVPN.

Also upgraded a family member’s AC68U from 384.4 to 384.4_2 (via 384.4_1) without issues.

@RMerlin
RT-AC86U (internat. Asia) -> NOK
RT-AC68U -> OK

I think all the problems here must be related to specific routers or even depending on bootloader, US version vs. international chinese version.
Long time before I mentioned, that changes in Wifi settings dont work in newer releases.

Thats correct for RT-AC86U (internat. version region set to Asia), changes (channel, bandwith) only apply after turning Wifi off/on or do a reboot, it shows new values but doesnt really change them to be active!!!
On the other side it works well on RT-AC68U, changes apply after seconds.

On RT-AC68U it seems that WiFi is resetted after pressing apply, dont understand why this is different on RT-AC86U with same firmware 384.4_2

Both as AP with only very basic and so far identical settings (except IP and channel) and reset/initialize many times.

.4_2 installed.

my only complaint is, i have to reset traffic stats since my USB old file can't load. I'm doing this after every update.

Mar 21 15:01:42 cstats[300]: Problem loading /mnt/Asus/Traffic Stat/tomato_cstats_88d7f666ce60.gz. Still trying...
Mar 21 15:01:44 rstats[299]: Problem loading /mnt/Asus/Traffic Stat/tomato_rstats_88d7f666ce60.gz. Still trying...
Mar 21 15:05:58 cstats[300]: Problem loading /mnt/Asus/Traffic Stat/tomato_cstats_88d7f666ce60.gz. Still trying...
Mar 21 15:06:00 rstats[299]: Problem loading /mnt/Asus/Traffic Stat/tomato_rstats_88d7f666ce60.gz. Still trying...
Mar 21 15:08:57 sd-idle-2.6[457]: spinning down /dev/sdb
Mar 21 15:14:31 cstats[300]: Problem loading /mnt/Asus/Traffic Stat/tomato_cstats_88d7f666ce60.gz. Still trying...

Mar 25 01:17:59 rstats[304]: Problem loading /mnt/Asus/Traffic Stats/tomato_rstats_88d7f666ce60.gz. Still trying...

wow this update screwed my RT-AC86U which is brand new and was factory reset etc last week when installing merlin firmware.

I did update as usual with nothing being different this time than any other time.

Firs update appeared to have worked, was showing 384.4_2 in web-gui but...

1) DDNS was not showing as connected.

2) Router was showing external IP and showing connected but could not access internet (resolving host...)

3) kept getting loads of 'Mar 25 10:38:19 ntp: start NTP update', so time was wrong and could not update.

4) Tried reverting back to previous version 384.4 and it failed 3 times, then seemed to have worked.

5) Once i did revert back to previous firmware DDNS still not connecting and still no internet access even though router web-gui showing external ip and showing connected.

6) Tried restoring backup of jffs and settings.cfg and still same problem

7) Sometimes i could access the web-gui and othertimes it would not connect to the web-gui

Only thing i could now do was a full factory reset to solve the issue (initialize...) in my case then choose manual setup and reload settings file.

Everything was working flawlessly until i updated to 384.4_2. Not got a clue what had happened as all first appeared to be ok for a few seconds. Never had an update cause me an issue before.

Now back on 384.4.

You are not alone bud.

I upgraded to 384.4_02 and the Dual Wan function when enabled disables the USB ports for some odd reason...which in my case makes Dual Wan/JFFS scripts impossible.

How does one revert to a prior firmware without have to reset up the entire router, I have never had to go back a revision until now.

Thanks !

**EDIT** Do not worry, erasing router and going again at 384.4 to see if the Dual Wan Issue is persistent on my AC88U

Last edited:
ok also just noticed when restoring settings.cfg after factory reset (initialize...) all is ok again but as soon as i restore jffs from backup which i did just before update and which was working problems come back.

Gonna have to do a manual recovery and some quirky things going on still.

Updated to 384.4_2 working very well so far.

Correct, that workaround seems to work most of the time. Still would love to know what's the real underlying issue, since Chrome also suffers from problems (albeit slightly different ones).

My problem with Firefox 59.0.1 was solved by generating a new persistent certificate on asuswrt-merlin. Then open certificate manager in Firefox, delete all old stuff related to asuswrt-merlin and import the new certificate.
(....And then, of course, make a permanent exception when going to the login page.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!