What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I enable AiProtection is there anything within the features I should disable.

I have never used it, but thinking of giving it a try, just unsure if it effects router performance with it enabled or if its even best to keep it off altogether.

Do most in here use it?

If I enable AiProtection is there anything within the features I should disable.

I have never used it, but thinking of giving it a try, just unsure if it effects router performance with it enabled or if its even best to keep it off altogether.

Do most in here use it?

You don't need to do anything , just turn AiProtection on and let it do its thing.

I have run it for @ 3 years and never seen any performance issues.

I find it throws up a few bad sites and they have been missed by other security software and most browsers now have malware / bad site protection.

The intrusion protection shows a huge number of nasties doing the rounds and stops them before they hit your firewall.

Having the infected device protection is a must these days, you never know what might get onto a mobile device , guests to your network could be infected with anything.

I have found Ai to be so good I have no need for paid Av's and extra anti-malware tools on my kit.

You don't need to do anything , just turn AiProtection on and let it do its thing.

I have run it for @ 3 years and never seen any performance issues.

I find it throws up a few bad sites and they have been missed by other security software and most browsers now have malware / bad site protection.

The intrusion protection shows a huge number of nasties doing the rounds and stops them before they hit your firewall.

Having the infected device protection is a must these days, you never know what might get onto a mobile device , guests to your network could be infected with anything.

I have found Ai to be so good I have no need for paid Av's and extra anti-malware tools on my kit.

There are some speed problems if you use certain AiProtection function e.g. parental control/ time scheduling...

Last edited:
No problems here, but.. When I flashed the first time around I did not properly followed instructions and had all sorts of problems...
Here is my non-technical trick that made it work solid. Flash, wait until it comes up, then physically switch it off and start again. Did that and all working great.
I have an occasional PIA VPN drop out once a 3 to 4 weeks, but same was in the earlier versions... I really enjoying this build. Looking forward to mesh and IFTTT (even RMerlin says it's not secure) to work in future builds.
So if I am understanding you correctly, you are saying Flash the new firmware, wait until it is fully rebooted and back up and running. Then physically power the unit off and then power it back on and then it is all good, or at this point flash it again?

Thanks, AsusRouterUser

So if I am understanding you correctly, you are saying Flash the new firmware, wait until it is fully rebooted and back up and running. Then physically power the unit off and then power it back on and then it is all good, or at this point flash it again?

Thanks, AsusRouterUser
Yes, you understand me correctly minus re-flashing it at the end. Flash > wait until up and running > physical switch off/on. Again, non-technical, no logical thing that worked for me (I think it was actually suggested by someone else, can't recall). All the best

I see some people are saying that under this version they are having the internet just disappear for no reason after like a week. Can anyone who is using an RT-AC5300 say if they are experiencing this problem?

Thanks, AsusRouterUser
My WIFI SSID is completely disappearing. That could be apart of the issue. I'm on a 5300 as well.

Seems some are having issues upgrading to 384.4.
So, I'm posting my steps because they worked perfectly for me, first time around.
I upgraded my AC68P from 380.70 to 384.4_2
I'm by no means a router guru. I believe all I did was follow the instructions per RMerlin.

1. Flashed new firmware.
2. Cleared browser cache.
3. Reset to factory defaults using the router webui button under Administration/Restore-Save...
... At this point I got a message to unplug the router. I did, waited about 30 seconds, plugged it back in.
4. After it booted I reconfigured all my settings and rebooted (probably a few times along the way).

Works perfectly. Thanks RMerlin!

Hey everyone, I haven't posted in a while, but, got what I think is a common issue around here. I've done some searching but haven't found an exact solution besides downgrading back to 380.xx.

So, I'm using AC1900P(AC-68U firmware) v384.4_2 and i'm having pretty lousy Wifi speeds. I did a factory reset (Initialize) after I flashed 384.4_2. I've tried changing pretty much all wifi related settings and it doesn't help. I'd rather not downgrade either. I've seen the new alpha's out, might try those, but wanted to post here and get everyone's thoughts first.

Is this just a common thing with the new 384.xx firmware, or just specific to the AC-68U hardware? or maybe even more specific to Ac-1900P?
Hi, I faced the same problem (and much more) after flashing V384.2 on my AC68U... so hope all will be fixed on next editions

I actually updated to 384.4 2 today on rt-ac68u and my WiFi speeds are actually significantly better than when I was on stock asuswrt and also legacy 380.70 merlin.
I'm not a router guru nor do I do extensive testings but just general Ookla tests on my devices. I perform 5 tests to get an average and on 384.4 2 merlin I am getting around 10MB better on my vpn clients than on previous firmwares so I'm happy with it [emoji109]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Not sure if it's been mentioned before?

I currently have two LAN ports used (1 and 2)

LAN Port 1 is a 1gbps, but, for some reason it keeps dropping to 100mbps.

A reboot of the router seems to fix the issue.

Usually indicate a cable problem. Ethernet can drop the link rate if there are too many errors.

I want to update my AC-3100 to the newest 384_4 as I have been having some stability issues lately. I'm wondering what the best practice is for conducting the upgrade. I don't want to lose all of my configuration options and assigned IP addresses etc.

Is it recommended to create a backup of the router settings, flash new firmware to router, factory reset the device, then restore from the backup? Or must I manually reconfigure everything after the firmware update?
This blog post shows the steps required to have a successful upgrade experience.
https://x3mtek.com/asuswrt-merlin-firmware-upgrade/

Last edited:
This is new to me at least. Started in the syslog overnight, maybe 50 entries since 01:00 hours.
I searched SNB Forums and got no results using the below text and only parts of it.
AC86U with 384.4_2
Code:
Apr 23 02:49:17 kernel: ^[[0m
Apr 23 02:49:34 kernel: ^[[0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow net_p=ffffffc008f9c380  dir=0 old_key=0x600031ad new_key=0xa00014fb
Apr 23 02:49:34 kernel: ^[[0m
Apr 23 02:50:26 kernel: ^[[0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when deleting flowfor net_p=ffffffc002b4cdd0 
Apr 23 02:50:26 kernel: ^[[0m
Apr 23 02:51:55 kernel: ^[[0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when deleting flowfor net_p=ffffffc008f9c380 
Apr 23 02:51:55 kernel: ^[[0m
Apr 23 02:54:23 kernel: ^[[0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow net_p=ffffffc009004380  dir=0 old_key=0x20001ff9 new_key=0x2000017c
Apr 23 02:54:23 kernel: ^[[0m
Apr 23 02:58:39 kernel: ^[[0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when deleting flowfor net_p=ffffffc009004380 
Apr 23 02:58:39 kernel: ^[[0m

On my AC3200 applying changes to WiFi settings seems to kill WiFi and it does not return until I power-cycle the device. I did do a factory reset and manual reconfigure after upgrading.

2.4Ghz stops working for some devices as well (Pixel 2 XL in this case) and it refuses to connect. Again, a power cycle of the router resolves it until it happens again.

Also noticed that after factory reset (via initialize option) wifi does not when configuration is complete. Only after power cycle.

Finally, after the initial config the CPU load graph looks super odd with the two core utilization plots mirroring each other in the graph.

Edit: I've reproed all of these with the latest AsusWRT bits. SMH. Argh. Attached is an image of the CPU plot. Nice picture, if only it didn't indicate the borked device.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 653
Last edited:
Not sure if it's been mentioned before?

I currently have two LAN ports used (1 and 2)

A reboot of the router seems to fix the issue.
Had the same issue with one of my computers, had to re-crimp the ends to fix the issue.

I can no longer access my router on https://192.168.1.1:8443 wireless using my laptop and latest firefox? All other browsers are ok but with firefox it just hangs with "performing a TLS handshake..." in lower left corner to finally time out. I've cleared cookies, tempfiles etc and also deleted certificate exception but no go. Any ideas?

On my AC3200 applying changes to WiFi settings seems to kill WiFi and it does not return until I power-cycle the device. I did do a factory reset and manual reconfigure after upgrading.

2.4Ghz stops working for some devices as well (Pixel 2 XL in this case) and it refuses to connect. Again, a power cycle of the router resolves it until it happens again.

Also noticed that after factory reset (via initialize option) wifi does not when configuration is complete. Only after power cycle.

Finally, after the initial config the CPU load graph looks super odd with the two core utilization plots mirroring each other in the graph.

Edit: I've reproed all of these with the latest AsusWRT bits. SMH. Argh. Attached is an image of the CPU plot. Nice picture, if only it didn't indicate the borked device.

Had the same.. 384.5 alpha seems much better..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the same.. 384.5 alpha seems much better..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll give that a try. Right now WiFi is pretty much unusable. The natives are pissed, my sons Xboxes are on WiFi and they're displeased.

Edit: latest alpha build seems to have done it. Thanks for the pointer!

Edit 2: It appears that the issue is only partly mitigated. It just takes longer to manifest. Right now my 2.4Ghz network is down for most devices, it just went poof. Devices try to connect repeatedly but fail until the router is power cycled.

Is there a way to roll back to 380.X? The built in UX does not allow it.

Last edited:
I recently updated my AC1900P to 384.4_2 and noticed that when wireless clients are connected to one of my guest networks using WiFi, the connection is shown as Ethernet in the network map. I can still tell which clients are using WiFi as it shows a connection time while actual devices connected using Ethernet do not. I did not have this issue in prior versions.

Further details is that all connecting devices have static IPs issued by the router, policy routing is used for most connecting devices, and some devices use one of the three VPN tunnels while others use the WAN. This router is used exclusively for IoT devices and house guests. All IoT and guest connections are restiricted to Internet access only and there is no access to Intranet.

No issues with clients connected to my regular (non-guest) WiFi. The network map then correctly shows if a device is using the 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!