What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It didn't work.
So I went to restore everything ready to give up, and I noticed that the channel was again Auto instead of the 36 I selected before reboot.
So I reset everything to auto and tried again the channel on 36 and I am happy to report that you were right.
That channel worked, and some settings are not really saved.

Should I care about not having it in auto mode?
Or only if I notice performance issues?

it is much better having things under control and to know whats going on than everything on auto and hoping it will do right ...

Is it chinese model from gearbest or EU-version?
If in prof-settings very down last point is region setting changeable than its chinese/internat. version. Seems to have more problems than others.
EU-version should not use ch. >149 as they are not allowed here.

I decided to not risk shady resellers and hw, and went for the European version from computeruniverse.

EU-versions dont use ch. 149-165.
But it will use 100-116 and 132-140 and maybe your TV-stick doesnt support this.

I wonder up to which channel the n66u was going.
I already packed it and cannot check :)

One weird thing that I have noticed on my AC86U. If I hit "reboot" in the gui, the router will shutoff. I have to go and manually turn the power button off and on. Not a big deal at all as I very rarely reboot, and other then that, this is the best router I have ever used(in 25+ years). Just mentioning.

One weird thing that I have noticed on my AC86U. If I hit "reboot" in the gui, the router will shutoff. I have to go and manually turn the power button off and on. Not a big deal at all as I very rarely reboot, and other then that, this is the best router I have ever used(in 25+ years). Just mentioning.
Yes I see this on my 68U stock-firm as well sometimes (on 86U cannot remember but maybe too), no GUI no SSH to reboot, have to power cycle on router, all LED blue like working but in true its lost in space.

Any help or sugestions how to diagnose why one of my clients not getting IP address fom DHCP server?
If you have other clients that are getting IP addresses, and only one that isn't, the problem is 99.9999% certain to be with the client that isn't. Probably a mal-configured dhclient on the offending device.

This client has no problem getting IP on previous version of fv. It is an AV receiver from Yamaha. I dont have many config options on this client so I want to diagnose on server side.

I have been noticing this on my 86 as well.

Reboot button.
Scheduled reboot.
Reboot command via SSH.

Every so often it will 'shut off' and requires a power cycle to fix.

Wireless 2.4

Known issue, if you search around you’d have seen tons of reports on this. Fortunately there are some that report the official 384.20942 solved the issue, so theoretically when ASUS drop the GPL code for that (with new drivers that solves the problem), then Merlin can pull those in and have it fixed in the next release.

I know, but nobody here is believing it that 86U doesnt apply WiFi-changes.

we could talk in german too if you like (PM).

But use a Wifi analyzer and you will see: 86U DONT APPLY what you just set!
Change it and make a reboot, then it will work ... or disable/enable one Wifi in prof-settings will do the same or SSH command 'service restart_wireless'
I have noticed the same issue as well on an AC1900 when setting it up as an Access Point for my pfSense appliance a few days ago. I made changes and went to other screens. When I returned to the wireless settings screen, my settings appeared to return to default values. Release 384.5.

Last edited:
Ok, I've mentioned some strange behavior with my more complex setup of using an 86U as the Wireless router, connected to a 68P as media bridge, and now a 3200 as AP (replacing a 66U as of today). I thought that there was possibility of the 66U being on the 380 firmware causing the issue I'm seeing, but think otherwise now having replaced it.

I have ~35 devices connected, most on 5GHz on the (now) 3200 AP, however they will intermittently drop internet for about 10-20 minutes during the day only to restore connection with no user intervention. When this occurs, the router, MB, and AP will show entering and exiting promiscuous mode in the logs and when that stops, the connection is restored. On a Windows 10 client or mobile, I can see the WiFi connection, but the IP address is lost and sometimes the connection disconnects and reconnects several times, but this appears to be dependent on the device (Windows, Android, Amazon Echos, etc.). Again, no restarts are needed and this happens randomly throughout the day, but does seem to be an issue that is no solvable by restarts, factory default and reconfigures (have done so more times than I care to admit) or by eliminating variables, e.g. custom scripts like AB-Solution, Spynet, OpenVPN, dnscrypt, etc.

Is there a general thought that 384 and above have a wireless connection stability issue outside of a single device in router mode or based on number of clients? Any thoughts on how I can help troubleshoot further or help the community with what I've done my best to isolate without success?

Hi Merlin,
just got an AC86U and got back to your FW after being for a while with John's fork on N66U.
All good so far, except my phone and fire tv stick cannot see the 5ghz wifi.
My 2 laptops (mint and win10) can see it and connect seamlessly, since I recreated all as it was in the N66U.

What version of firestick and which phone? Only the newer firesticks support 5ghz.

I have noticed the same issue as well on an AC1900 when setting it up as an Access Point for my pfSense appliance a few days ago. I made changes and went to other screens. When I returned to the wireless settings screen, my settings appeared to return to default values. Release 380.5.
What is your pfsense build look like and what throughput are you getting?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!