What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It has something to do with the firmware I'm pretty sure. When I did my update, I did a factory restore, did the update, factory restore, and a minimal config. I've tried multiple things with no real luck. I've also noticed, if I'm connected to the router wireless and make a network change on the wireless, I get dropped, and it never comes back, so I have to hard reboot, or connect hardline. In general, its very bizarre behavior.
Have you tried Factory Initialize?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Down to 305 MB now after 7 days.
I've been looking at this and it seems (on my router) that the process that continues to grow (in resident memory size) while the others stay pretty constant, is the web server (httpd). Mine started out at 1700kB (after I restarted it) and it's now grown in a few days to 3972kB:

admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root# ps |grep httpd|grep -v grep
483 admin 5296 S httpds -s -i br0 -p 8443
484 admin 6572 S httpd -i br0
admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root# grep VmRSS /proc/484/status
VmRSS: 3972 kB

Reactions: kfp
I upgraded an AC88U from 380.62 (23-Sept-2016) - performance had gotten pretty bad and the known admin login was no longer working. Suspected it had possibly been hacked... so i was sad i could not log in to see.

Anyway just passed 24 hours uptime with no problems on 2.4 or 5ghz so far. Only 3 ethernet clients on the AC88U. I did a factory reset before and after flashing this version. Seems to be no problems so far.

The router is not my own so if i start getting wifi problem complaints i will post about it

Last edited:
I upgraded an AC88U from 380.62 (23-Sept-2016) - performance had gotten pretty bad and the known admin login was no longer working. Suspected it had possibly been hacked... so i was sad i could not log in to see.

Anyway just passed 24 hours uptime with no problems on 2.4 or 5ghz so far. Only 3 ethernet clients on the AC88U. I did a factory reset before and after flashing this version. Seems to be no problems so far.

The router is not my own so if i start getting wifi problem complaints i will post about it
I'm thinking most problems are with IOT devices... do you have any currently running? Seems Lifx lights work....so far.
I bought a ROG GT-AC5300 and it seems nest works with it, but none of my other IOT devices including Lifx. Total bummer...

I've been looking at this and it seems (on my router) that the process that continues to grow (in resident memory size) while the others stay pretty constant, is the web server (httpd). Mine started out at 1700kB (after I restarted it) and it's now grown in a few days to 3972kB:

admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root# ps |grep httpd|grep -v grep
483 admin 5296 S httpds -s -i br0 -p 8443
484 admin 6572 S httpd -i br0
admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root# grep VmRSS /proc/484/status
VmRSS: 3972 kB

All I know is my free memory is dropping by about 2.5 MB a day. It’s down to 295 MB now.

Last edited:
I'm thinking most problems are with IOT devices... do you have any currently running? Seems Lifx lights work....so far.
I bought a ROG GT-AC5300 and it seems nest works with it, but none of my other IOT devices including Lifx. Total bummer...
Nothing IOT, sorry. The closest to IOT is a roku.

All I know is my free memory is dropping by about 2.5 MB a day. It’s done to 295 MB now.
And my free memory is dropping exactly one percent every week .... and I do not know why ....

And my free memory is dropping exactly one percent every week .... and I do not know why ....
I know! Bcs. it's used!!! E.g. for caching purposes - as long as you do not reach >90% used, you are fine! :rolleyes:
Stop worrying about something that is not a problem - it works like it should! :oops:

I know! Bcs. it's used!!! E.g. for caching purposes - as long as you do not reach >90% used, you are fine! [emoji57]
Stop worrying about something that is not a problem - it works like it should! [emoji15]

The reported cached memory is not increasing though.

It’s only not a problem until the router locks up because there’s no free memory left. A few people (including me) have had that happen under 384.5. I’ve never had it happen with 384.4 or earlier.

The reported cached memory is not increasing though.

It’s only not a problem until the router locks up because there’s no free memory left. A few people (including me) have had that happen under 384.5. I’ve never had it happen with 384.4 or earlier.

It happened to me as well this weekend after being up for around 9 days with less than 30MB of free memory remaining. It's hard to pinpoint the exact time or memory free as I was unable to use the GUI or even SSH into it. I was able to surf slowly, but DNS requests were mostly not working when my clients are pointing to the router for name resolution as well.

As of right now it's been up for a little less than 2 days and here's the memory utilization for the web server so far:

admin@RT-AC86U-2A88:/tmp/home/root# ps |grep httpd|grep -v grep
789 admin 12560 S httpd -i br0
admin@RT-AC86U-2A88:/tmp/home/root# grep VmRSS /proc/789/status
VmRSS: 7804 kB

It happened to me as well this weekend after being up for around 9 days with less than 30MB of free memory remaining. It's hard to pinpoint the exact time or memory free as I was unable to use the GUI or even SSH into it. I was able to surf slowly, but DNS requests were mostly not working when my clients are pointing to the router for name resolution as well.

Those are the exact same symptoms I had. I though my ISP was having issues since it kind of worked, but I got horrendous packet loss and DNS mostly failing. I could use the GUI, but SSH didn't work at all because processes wouldn't fork do to lack of memory.

It took about 24 days for that to happen though. I wasn't watching the free memory before that, but I'm watching it now and it's slowly dropping. It's not dropping fast enough to explain how I was out of memory though. Something triggered the cached memory size to increase and the router ran out of free memory.

Reading through this thread it looks like there are some rumours of memory leaks and possibly other issues. Is 384_5 safe to upgrade to? I'm currently happy on 384_4.2 (from memory.)

Reading through this thread it looks like there are some rumours of memory leaks and possibly other issues. Is 384_5 safe to upgrade to? I'm currently happy on 384_4.2 (from memory.)

The leaks seems to be highly dependent on the environment/configuration. I’ve personally not observed any leaks.

And what’s your definition for “safe”? 384.5 fixed a lot of security issues and updated a lot of components, IMHO you should update to be more “safe”.

Hello,

Can someone tell me where is the "config" files for the drive that mount at the start up..

For unknown reason I have

/dev/sdb5 14.3G 3.3G 10.3G 24% /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution
/dev/sda1 3.6T 2.9T 706.0G 81% /tmp/mnt/sdb1
devtmpfs 251.4M 4.0K 251.4M 0% /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/ent ware/debian/dev
/dev/sda1 3.6T 2.9T 706.0G 81% /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/ent

I need to remove the Bold one.

Thanks

Hello,

Can someone tell me where is the "config" files for the drive that mount at the start up..

For unknown reason I have

/dev/sdb5 14.3G 3.3G 10.3G 24% /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution
/dev/sda1 3.6T 2.9T 706.0G 81% /tmp/mnt/sdb1
devtmpfs 251.4M 4.0K 251.4M 0% /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/ent ware/debian/dev
/dev/sda1 3.6T 2.9T 706.0G 81% /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/ent

I need to remove the Bold one.

Thanks

You can't remove the drive path as any drive connected to your router will be mounted somewhere.

Just either format the drive mounted on /dev/sda1 (4TB one) or remove the AB-Solution folder from it.

You can't remove the drive path as any drive connected to your router will be mounted somewhere.

Just either format the drive mounted on /dev/sda1 (4TB one) or remove the AB-Solution folder from it.

Hello,

there is no AB-Solution Folder on this drive .

If i do Fdisk -l

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/root 36.8M 36.8M 0 100% /

devtmpfs 251.4M 4.0K 251.4M 0% /dev

tmpfs 251.6M 4.3M 247.2M 2% /tmp

/dev/mtdblock4 64.0M 15.6M 48.4M 24% /jffs

/dev/mtdblock4 64.0M 15.6M 48.4M 24% /usr/sbin/tc

/dev/sdb5 14.3G 3.3G 10.2G 25% /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution

/dev/sda1 3.6T 3.0T 700.5G 81% /tmp/mnt/sdb1

devtmpfs 251.4M 4.0K 251.4M 0% /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/entware/debian/dev

/dev/sda1 3.6T 3.0T 700.5G 81% /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/entware/debian/mnt

This is causing me trouble with AB-Soluton

Hello,

there is no AB-Solution Folder on this drive .

If i do Fdisk -l

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/root 36.8M 36.8M 0 100% /

devtmpfs 251.4M 4.0K 251.4M 0% /dev

tmpfs 251.6M 4.3M 247.2M 2% /tmp

/dev/mtdblock4 64.0M 15.6M 48.4M 24% /jffs

/dev/mtdblock4 64.0M 15.6M 48.4M 24% /usr/sbin/tc

/dev/sdb5 14.3G 3.3G 10.2G 25% /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution

/dev/sda1 3.6T 3.0T 700.5G 81% /tmp/mnt/sdb1

devtmpfs 251.4M 4.0K 251.4M 0% /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/entware/debian/dev

/dev/sda1 3.6T 3.0T 700.5G 81% /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/entware/debian/mnt

This is causing me trouble with AB-Soluton

The folder might be hidden.

Can't you format that drive?

Why will i format my second drive? its probably mounting somewhere .. i can do a umount, so for sure its moungting somewhere this is what i need to find

Off course it's mounted on /dev/sda1 but the AB-SOLUTION folders on it is questionable.

Remove the drive, reboot the router and run fdisk -l again to check if you still see that path.

Also check the services-start and services-stop scripts in /jffs/scripts folder for any rouge entries.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!