What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks RMerlin (and everyone involved). Good release. One minor issue - I am running a 68U upgrading from 380.70. The router doesn't recognize the USB 2.0 thumb drive. I have rebooted, removed and replaced in both ports... Nothing. I have seen a couple of posts with similar issues but no resolution reported that I can find...

The router doesn't recognize the USB 2.0 thumb drive. I have rebooted, removed and replaced in both ports...
Make sure the drive is usable in a computer, just to exclude drive errors. If it works out, attach the drive to the router and check the output of dmesg | grep sda. Any error shown there would help with the troubleshooting process.

Thanks RMerlin (and everyone involved). Good release. One minor issue - I am running a 68U upgrading from 380.70. The router doesn't recognize the USB 2.0 thumb drive. I have rebooted, removed and replaced in both ports... Nothing. I have seen a couple of posts with similar issues but no resolution reported that I can find...
DId you try toggling the reducing USB 3.o interference setting on your router? It’s worked for a couple of us here with similar problems.

“I had the same issue until I disabled "Reducing USB 3.0 interference" under Wireless ->Professional (2.4 GHz). After that my flash drive automatically mounted after hard reboots. This, strangely enough, sounds like the exact opposite of what @Blind@Spot did to fix his issue. Maybe just toggling that setting will work?”

short question: is git already tagged for 384.5?
After doing git pull, git tag -l I don't see this version on my local rep .........

I have tried different thumb drives (both 2.0 and 3.0) and none work. I have also tried the toggle "Reducing USB 3.0 interference" trick and no change. What is stumping me is that the hardware (the router itself) sees the thumb drive when inserted ("dmesg | grep sda" sees the drives and the blue light on the front of the router is on) BUT on the top of the ASUS screen the USB icon is grayed ("No USB disk detected" message when hovered over the icon) and FTP doesn't work (can't setup users properly).

I have tried this on two 68U routers - same issues. I have a third still on 380.70 and that one works...

@nbdwt73
what's in the log - also what is free RAM & NVRAM
then restart while inserted and check log again, RAM, NVRAM
has the router been reset after upgrade ?

I have tried different thumb drives (both 2.0 and 3.0) and none work. I have also tried the toggle "Reducing USB 3.0 interference" trick and no change. What is stumping me is that the hardware (the router itself) sees the thumb drive when inserted ("dmesg | grep sda" sees the drives and the blue light on the front of the router is on) BUT on the top of the ASUS screen the USB icon is grayed ("No USB disk detected" message when hovered over the icon) and FTP doesn't work (can't setup users properly).

I have tried this on two 68U routers - same issues. I have a third still on 380.70 and that one works...

Did you factory reset after updating to the 384 codebase? 99% of the time using the "initialize" function will fix common issues.

UPDATE - I tried something different - when I use the toggle trick with a USB 3.0 and a reboot, the drive shows up and works fine. Cannot remove and replace - must reboot after every removal. Cannot get a 2.0 to work at all (tried as many permutations as I could stand...).

Did you factory reset after updating to the 384 codebase? 99% of the time using the "initialize" function will fix common issues.
absolutely...

short question: is git already tagged for 384.5?
After doing git pull, git tag -l I don't see this version on my local rep .........

I had it tagged locally, but forgot to push the tags upstream. Done.

Same on me!
I got it working only with formating on USB2.0 port, tested it before on router with health scanner all ok but tried to use it will hang, then formated on router and now working.
If I take the stick and put it from 86U on 68U to use it there for download master it doesnt work again ...

Last edited:
The new "Traditional QOS" is working out just fine. It does struggle with VPN traffic being classified as low when I have it set to highest. This is a problem Asus's QOS has had for ages though. All this being said I have to say the "Bufferbloat" score is excellent and all traffic with priority is unaffected by other network traffic. I see this as a measured success by the member that fixed it for sure. I recommend it to anyone.

This not related with this topic but I just wanted to share this;

Screenshot_1.jpg

My router attacked itself :(

The new "Traditional QOS" is working out just fine. It does struggle with VPN traffic being classified as low when I have it set to highest. This is a problem Asus's QOS has had for ages though. All this being said I have to say the "Bufferbloat" score is excellent and all traffic with priority is unaffected by other network traffic. I see this as a measured success by the member that fixed it for sure. I recommend it to anyone.
I justed playing with Adaptive QoS, are you saying Traditional might be a better option?

I guess it would depend on your situation. I only really need bandwidth priority. Traditional QOS does that very well. If you want more granular settings I would go with FreshJR_QOS it is excellent! FreshJR_QOS can be found here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ements-custom-rules-and-inner-workings.36836/
I'm basically looking for what would be bandwidth priority as well, I want to make sure my streaming devices and/or a specific device gets priority over other bandwidth needs throughout the LAN so I'm guessing AQoS or TQoS would probably take care of those needs.

I'll take a look at FreshJR's postings though I'm a near novice when it comes to implementing scripts like that, I have done very minor things but that looks a bit more involved.

Thanks!

UPDATE - I tried something different - when I use the toggle trick with a USB 3.0 and a reboot, the drive shows up and works fine. Cannot remove and replace - must reboot after every removal. Cannot get a 2.0 to work at all (tried as many permutations as I could stand...).
What filesystem is it formatted in, and did you try different filesystems? Could be an obscure bug in a filesystem driver?

I'm basically looking for what would be bandwidth priority as well, I want to make sure my streaming devices and/or a specific device gets priority over other bandwidth needs throughout the LAN so I'm guessing AQoS or TQoS would probably take care of those needs.

I'll take a look at FreshJR's postings though I'm a near novice when it comes to implementing scripts like that, I have done very minor things but that looks a bit more involved.

Thanks!
That is all I do as well. Stream all the time. Easy to set a priority for a device like say a Roku with TQoS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!