What's new

[Release 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Since 384.5 alpha 2, this has been really stable for me. My issue on 384.4 with the network map was corrected in a earlier alpha version. My test this time around was testing Traditional QoS, and my testing method was DLS report and general streaming, gaming, and Wi-Fi calling. While I didn't notice anything funky with the QoS, my results went from A, A and -(no grade for bloatware) using Adaptive QoS FreshJR fast v1 script. Using traditional, still no bloatware, but my grade rating went down to D and C for speed & quality. Guessing the fix you provided from the one user has it working correctly, and also worth a mention but I didn't customize my QoS on traditional like I have did on Adaptive.

Anyway's everything is working smoothly, mount's, client list, script's, signature updates, Wi-Fi scheduler, OpenVPN start at boot, and everything else under the sun lol. I have noticed very small, odd, and minor issues here and there, but nothing that kept reoccurring.

Thank's for providing a stable and secure router firmware I can rely on, customize, and tune to my needs :)

I "made the leap" and upgraded my AC87 from 380.70. Working well since updating this morning and I've not suffered any oddities previously reported from 384.x users.

I Agree that is has to do with licenses but remember the TM rebranded version has a custom proprietary firmware that is modified for optimizing the TM Wi-Fi calling feature. This is why they don't want you to change the firmware. They don't want to provide support to someone that changes the firmware. They also want the router returned if you leave and if its modified they can't resell it or put it back out to be used by someone else. I don't remember what software the router came with. I do know the UI looked the same.
Like I said I modified it because they didn't update the firmware. I didn't want to get caught using a router that was as vulnerable because it wasn't up to date.
I didn't know about the optimization for WiFi calling. In my opinion, ASUS isn't likely to care much if you flash your TM-branded router and screw up your own service, they can't be sued for that (well, they CAN, but it would be a hopeless case brought by someone with very shallow pockets), but they can be likely be successfully sued for violating the licensing terms of companies with equal or larger pockets as ASUS'.

It's an interesting legal vs. ethical dilemma; clearly installing firmware with code you haven't properly licensed (because you bought a TM- router instead of an ASUS branded router) is legally no different than installing a copy of Windows that you haven't legally obtained a license for. On the other hand, running router firmware that is hopelessly out of date exposes not only your data, but it is more likely to be compromised and used for DDOS and other nefarious purposes that could potentially harm others.

New sw working just fine have not find some problem so far. :)
This in log:
Code:
Apr 25 07:47:46 lldpd[597]: removal request for address of 5.150.235.87%4, but no knowledge of it
seems that it is a "%4" after 5.150.235.87 don't know if it's probelm just report findings.

Thanks for new program.
@RMerlin

Last edited:
@RMerlin,

Since this release, I have noticed that reboots are not going well with my RT-AC86U. Or there are no lights at all (Delete power adapter is te solution)

Or the internet light turns red and the other white. (but no connections possible)

Saw this in the log about 90 minutes after installing 384.5:

May 15 13:15:01 kernel: nf_conntrack: automatic helper assignment is deprecated and it will be removed soon. Use the iptables CT target to attach helpers instead.

Not sure what it means... any ideas??

Hi,

I have problem with ftp server on router ASUS RT-AC68U with firmware 384.5.
I can't change permissions for users. Admin have R/W access. All others users have no access and can't change it. Any idea's?
Sorry for my English.

Last edited:
So basically after scratching my head and trying to figure out how to get upgraded to 384 branch of code here is what i ended up doing. I replaced all of the repeaters in my network with the newer ac68 that can run the 384 branch of code. Upgraded all of them to 384.5 and built them from scratch.

I purchased a new ac88 to replace my ac3100 and built it from scratch with 384.5. Once i had this setup, even though the SSID and key were the same, i had to reset and completely reconfigure all of my 5ghz devices including completely re-configuring the two new ac68 repeaters using the same exact config as before.

Painful? yes, but not as painful as having to go back to 380 branch of code over and over after failed upgrades.

So far, on 384.5 it seems very stable. My only guess is at this point that the older repeater running 380 branch of code did not co-exist well with new ones running 384.5.

I am still seeing this log in my ac88 over and over, but i was getting that in the stock version of the code as well:

Line 631: May 14 22:21:20 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Line 962: May 15 07:58:06 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Line 969: May 15 08:00:19 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Line 990: May 15 08:16:22 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Line 1017: May 15 09:02:03 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

Line 631: May 14 22:21:20 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Line 962: May 15 07:58:06 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Line 969: May 15 08:00:19 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Line 990: May 15 08:16:22 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Line 1017: May 15 09:02:03 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

Someone else posted this error message.

Something about the Guest network and the 5Ghz network both using the same MAC address I believe.

if you ssh to the router and run this command

nvram show | grep "macaddr" or ifconfig

you should be able to see the addresses.

Last edited:

Something about the Guest network and the 5Ghz network both using the same MAC address I believe.

I fixed this issue with a hard reboot, if that helps

I see that, but my guest network is disabled and my other routers are sharing the same mac on eth0 and br0 and don't get that error. Which brings up another issue....shouldn't enabling jumbo frame increase the mtu size? I have jumbo frames enabled, but the mtu is still set to 1500.

br0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 2C:4D:54:21:17:F0
inet addr:192.168.1.1 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING ALLMULTI MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 2C:4D:54:21:17:F0
inet addr:23.242.44.106 Bcast:23.242.47.255 Mask:255.255.240.0
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 2C:4D:54:21:17:F0
eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 2C:4D:54:21:17:F4
fwd1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC ALLMULTI MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
vlan1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 2C:4D:54:21:17:F0

I've power cycled this router a few times since its new and i was getting it setup. I assume that's what you mean when you say hard reboot?
Hey yeah a power cycle by physically powering the device off is what i meant by a hard reboot.

Also, To bring in another message that I get now after i fixed the own source address error is this one.

May 15 13:58:13 kernel: [tdts_shell_ioctl_stat:256] Recv ioctl req with op 2

It seems to happen every hour if that can help hunt down the issue.

Update is working great on 87u, 56u and 3100.

Code:
NEW: Added USB HID modules (for use with devices such
          as UPS)

Does this mean we'll be able to control a UPS via the router?

I didn't know about the optimization for WiFi calling. In my opinion, ASUS isn't likely to care much if you flash your TM-branded router and screw up your own service, they can't be sued for that (well, they CAN, but it would be a hopeless case brought by someone with very shallow pockets), but they can be likely be successfully sued for violating the licensing terms of companies with equal or larger pockets as ASUS'.

It's an interesting legal vs. ethical dilemma; clearly installing firmware with code you haven't properly licensed (because you bought a TM- router instead of an ASUS branded router) is legally no different than installing a copy of Windows that you haven't legally obtained a license for. On the other hand, running router firmware that is hopelessly out of date exposes not only your data, but it is more likely to be compromised and used for DDOS and other nefarious purposes that could potentially harm others.

That's why I upgraded to the RT-AC5300. The TM router showed me what I wanted to see as far as what I wanted and needed for my network. It showed me that my main requirement was that the new router had to be able to use Merlin's software. I needed what he had to offer in his software as well as how he keeps it up to date. You also have a large pool of very experienced people here to assist when you have a O-SH-T. I had issues when I first got the TM router and called them and got nowhere and began looking around. That's how I ended up here. The rest is history. Now it's just an AP and that's all. Its days of being my main router are done. I'm very happy with the RT-AC5300 and all it has to offer using Merlin's software.:)

Yep, the pattern continues. After each 4 Gig of download, get a upload spike equaling 4 Gig in a couple mins on my RT-AC68U. My ISP's data meter more or less matches the daily download values. So for now, I can dismiss roughly 4 gig of upload a day per every 4 gig of download that day. So, yeah these aren't random spikes but something occurring programmatically.

jDoX4eK.png

N6YmmxW.png

I guess that's all I'll report on this issue until the next firmware release.

I guess that's all I'll report on this issue until the next firmware release.

Harassing me with the same reports on a daily basis is certainly not going to help beside pissing me off. I already said what I had to said about this issue.

so...... this will be my first update of firmware since I moved to merlin. I am on 384.4_2. I read your post and it said to check the changelog to see if I need to do a factory reset. I could not see that mentioned in there. You message also suggests as I am going one dot release that this may not be required, but mentions the reasons it may be required, so I am not sure one way or another. I have a load of config, machine naming etc etc, I dont want to re-key unless I really really have to. Thanks in ignorance......
your router will not blow up your configs if you do not factory default reset, especially moving one dot release. This is locally known as a "dirty flash", "dirty update", dirty something, etc... and you will probably be fine.

It's just that, and this is important, PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR HELP IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE AT LEAST THE MINIMUM amount of troubleshooting, it just clogs up the thread, and also because (usually) the first question people reply is "did you factory default reset?", or at the very least, "did you restart the router?"

That's all, I think you will be fine (probably) without a default reset moving one or two or three dot releases, but if you notice weird problems, random problems, then you know what you have to do. It sucks and everybody hates it, but at a really low level some things just need to be reinitialized sometimes, and they are all closed-source and control different things, and are out of Merlins hands.

Update all OK on AC86U & AC87U (AP) from Beta 2 to GA 384.5. Same with a friends AC87U. Excellent work, thks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!