What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.61 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I wouldn't care if i didn't had to rollback, but i did.

But you are suggesting me to download and modify a firmware thats causing issues for me, just so i can downgrade from it? Makes no sense.
You should be yupping your complains to ASUS. Merlin is providing his customized firmware for free, if ever, you should be grateful to him cause he's sharing. If you hate it, don't use it, simple as that.

I wouldn't care if i didn't had to rollback, but i did.

But you are suggesting me to download and modify a firmware thats causing issues for me, just so i can downgrade from it? Makes no sense.

Stick to ASUS firmware, only im sure they wont have issue either, custom firmware is more the person that willing to deal with issue imo, and you dont seem to be one them. And just because it worked with older firmware with the Samsung shirtty programing and lack of following standards dont mean it will work when it actual has to follow standards

But why do a custom firmware has to follow this rule?

Because if my firmware could be used to bypass regulations, it would mean lawyers would quickly get involved. The day there's any legal threat to me will be the day this project will instantly shut down, no if's or but's.

How come it works perfectly with 58.0 then?

Hacks that fixed your scenario, but broke others. I got tired of the cat and mouse game, so I reverted the code back to native minidlna code, and ain't devoting any further time on this. I have more faith in Justin's code than Samsung's.

Merlin any ideas on this one?

USB support has always been somewhat quirky, due to many different factors. First problem being that a device with 256 MB of RAM can't really deal well with modern multi terabyte HDDs.

It's all firmware that must adhere to FCC regulations, custom or not.

And Asus, as the hardware manufacturer, is legally reponsible for what third parties do with their products. If their products aren't sufficiently locked down and third parties can bypass restrictions, then the FCC will tell Asus to lock things down, which will lead to signed bootloaders and ZERO third party firmwares.

This has already been debated to death for the past 18 months...

Does anyone know how best to look into this? I have an RT-N66U running Merlins latest 380.61 release. Does the router log DLNA activity?

iTunes and DLNA are two different things. iTunes uses a proprietary protocol, which has to be reverse-engineered as Apple doesn't care about third party developers. It's a miracle that mt-daapd still works at all with recent iTunes versions, as mt-daapd development was stopped many years ago.

By the rescue mode : Same method for all models
First you need the Restoration Tool from asus(asus site https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTN66U/HelpDesk_Download/) , install it
after you need to put the router in RESCUE MODE

Follow these steps its for Ac66(but work for all models). You need to do all the steps from the link below

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000814/

*How to enter in RESCUE mode:
Power off the router: Hold RESET button and power on router,keep holding RESET til led begin flashing slowy, release RESET button and you are now in rescue mode

** This is the last time i post the steps for downgrading :).Peoples dont read **
Thank you very much.

Stick to ASUS firmware, only im sure they wont have issue either, custom firmware is more the person that willing to deal with issue imo, and you dont seem to be one them. And just because it worked with older firmware with the Samsung shirtty programing and lack of following standards dont mean it will work when it actual has to follow standards

Well I'm deeply sorry that i reported a damn bug, now I'm gonna throw out my 5 grand TV just because I wasn't grateful enough. And every other Samsung user should just die too. I guess it takes a miracle in the 21th century to send data between 2 IP addresses, I'll just wait for the next lifetime then.

Last edited:
You should be yupping your complains to ASUS. Merlin is providing his customized firmware for free, if ever, you should be grateful to him cause he's sharing. If you hate it, don't use it, simple as that.
So i should be happy even if it's not working for me just because it's free. Okay. Also I fail to see any hate here. I raised my concerns and I got jumped on for no reason.

Last edited:
So i should be happy even if it's not working for me just because it's free. Okay. Also I fail to see any hate here. I raised my concerns and I got jumped on for no reason.
My 9000-series Samsung working great with DLNA from every device like Synology DS212+ and DS716+II (with 8gigs of ram :)). I would suspect your problem to be at the source not Asus nor the Samsung.
Try configuring profiles or use different DLNA client.

On N66U, the settings for "WAN packet overhead" do not appear to stick after hitting apply. It always resets to "0-None". Not a big deal, but I do use a bridged modem with PPPoE and wanted to try it out.

Screenshot from 2016-08-07 14-04-50.png

My 9000-series Samsung working great with DLNA from every device like Synology DS212+ and DS716+II (with 8gigs of ram :)). I would suspect your problem to be at the source not Asus nor the Samsung.
Try configuring profiles or use different DLNA client.

I doubt it, since I was having this issues since a long time even with the stock firmware just not that frequently, then i used custom firmware and everything was fine untill 59.0 then something changed to the minidlna and I'm having issues with any 58+ firmware again.

The only related changes I see is:
- minidlna now supports refreshing an existing database, so the Tweak setting was updated accordingly
- various stability issues with minidlna (reverted some of Asus's customizations)

Another great update from Merlin. My RT-AC87R went from 59 to 61 with no issues. All my settings and JFFS stated in place and all my customization for DNSCrypt and Entware software is still working.

I doubt it, since I was having this issues since a long time even with the stock firmware just not that frequently, then i used custom firmware and everything was fine untill 59.0 then something changed to the minidlna and I'm having issues with any 58+ firmware again.

The only related changes I see is:
- minidlna now supports refreshing an existing database, so the Tweak setting was updated accordingly
- various stability issues with minidlna (reverted some of Asus's customizations)
Ok, but why does my Samsung tv work then? Another tip: turn off transcoding.

p
I'm not sure, but since mine is a 7500 series, it could be totally different.
I doubt Samsung is using different code in this matter. Further you seem to be the only one with this problem? Please check your DLNA source again. Delete profiles or manually change them. Turn off transcoding. What are your DLNA source (s)?

Good luck.

p

I doubt Samsung is using different code in this matter. Further you seem to be the only one with this problem? Please check your DLNA source again. Delete profiles or manually change them. Turn off transcoding. What are your DLNA source (s)?

Good luck.
Since I'm using Samsung AllShare my options are kinda limited. I'm not saying that my dlna is perfect, I'm just stating that 58.0 is handling that "broken" dlna perfectly and anything newer is not.

iTunes and DLNA are two different things. iTunes uses a proprietary protocol, which has to be reverse-engineered as Apple doesn't care about third party developers. It's a miracle that mt-daapd still works at all with recent iTunes versions, as mt-daapd development was stopped many years ago.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Think it might be time to look into forked-daapd :/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!