What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What is the full model number ?

Is it RT-AC68R or DSL-AC68R ?

It says RT, doesnt have DSL anywhere on the router.
So i guess.. I'm safe?
My question was more pertaining to the hardware rev. i think it's e1, but honestly have no way of confirming since it didn't come in the retail box. nor can i find it anywhere on the router admin page.

It says RT, doesnt have DSL anywhere on the router.
So i guess.. I'm safe?
My question was more pertaining to the hardware rev. i think it's e1, but honestly have no way of confirming since it didn't come in the retail box. nor can i find it anywhere on the router admin page.

Ah, if it is the RT model you will be fine.

I misread your first post and having this week experienced a young neighbour that has totally bricked his new DSL-AC68R by flashing Tomato to it ...... well hence the warning.

Ah, if it is the RT model you will be fine.

I misread your first post and having this week experienced a young neighbour that has totally bricked his new DSL-AC68R by flashing Tomato to it ...... well hence the warning.

Fair enough, haha i would totally freak out too.
So do you reckon i can flash merlin on the e1 hardware version?

Well after flashing to 380.65_4 my router has failed to keep its IPv6 connection to Comcast. I'm really beginning to wonder it the cable modem isn't the culprit.

Well after flashing to 380.65_4 my router has failed to keep its IPv6 connection to Comcast. I'm really beginning to wonder it the cable modem isn't the culprit.

Its the firmware is has been like this for a year or more with both stock and Merlin. Try 858 firmware and your v6 will work every time tested this many times. Something amiss with the 88U and the 3100 with Native v6.

I'll need to re-read the ncp-cipher section in the manual. The NCP documentation is somewhat confusing, due to their attempts at improving compatibility with various fallback scenarios.

Adding ncp-disable to the config when NCP is set to disabled on the webui would probably be a good idea, I'll look into it.
I confirmed this behavior on the OpenVPN Server on ASUS Merlin 380.65_4 release. I had my encryption set as follows:

upload_2017-4-13_11-6-25.png

In my log file, the OpenVPN server is pushing AES-256-GCM. But I have encryption set to AES-128-CBC on the web gui and in my opvn config file on the client (using the OpenVPN 2.4.1client for windows -- released on 2017.03.22) :

Code:
Apr 13 10:14:07 openvpn[7617]: client/x.x.x.x PUSH: Received control message: 'PUSH_REQUEST'
Apr 13 10:14:07 openvpn[7617]: client/x.x.x.x SENT CONTROL [client]: 'PUSH_REPLY,route x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0,dhcp-option DNS x.x.x.x,route-gateway 10.8.0.1,topology subnet,ping 15,ping-restart 60,ifconfig 10.8.0.2 255.255.255.0,peer-id 0,cipher AES-256-GCM' (status=1)
Apr 13 10:14:07 openvpn[7617]: client/x.x.x.x Data Channel Encrypt: Cipher 'AES-256-GCM' initialized with 256 bit key
Apr 13 10:14:07 openvpn[7617]: client/x.x.x.x Data Channel Decrypt: Cipher 'AES-256-GCM' initialized with 256 bit key

Adding the option ncp-disable to Custom Configuration fixed the problem and AES-128-CBC cipher is now being used.

Last edited:
Its the firmware is has been like this for a year or more with both stock and Merlin. Try 858 firmware and your v6 will work every time tested this many times. Something amiss with the 88U and the 3100 with Native v6.
You might be right. I've noticed since flashing to 380.65_4 that my IPv6 connection has been a yoyo of up and down. I have an IP logger that periodically samples my IP address and the router has been dropping and reacquiring its IPv6 address in increments. The stock firmware will drop it and leave it at that. I was about to replace my sb6121 with a cm1000 to see if the behavior changed because this is just plain stupid.

Edit: Today I rolled back to 380.65_2 because of IPv6 issues from _4. The router had an IPv6 address from the modem but it stopped issuing them to clients on the network. I could check the GUI and see all of its information but my pc only had IPv4 to it. Once I reflashed and rebooted it started working again. I'm very close to try using the recovery console method to attempt to roll back to the original Asus 858 firmware.

Last edited:
I just noticed an issue with 380.65_2 and IPv6 in that when running dual WAN and the primary is lost that when its restored and the router switches back to the primary it cannot reestablish an IPv6 address and remains on IPv4.

should i jump to .66 alpha build or go back to .64 firmware? problem is that after upgrading to .65 builds my RT-AC3200 network has slowed down, websites etc. loads very slowly and my raspberry pi server cannot even update apt repos just gives "could not resolve host"

had to change google dns to my samsung smart tv & ps4 also because it didnt connect to internet at all. Weird thing is that i can connect to my RPI server from local and internet example my subsonic server works perfectly.

i have done reset from gui but didnt help, everything was working fine before upgrade to .65 firmwares. I have tried with automatic dns and manually using google dns in wan settings also.

should i jump to .66 alpha build or go back to .64 firmware? problem is that after upgrading to .65 builds my RT-AC3200 network has slowed down, websites etc. loads very slowly and my raspberry pi server cannot even update apt repos just gives "could not resolve host"

had to change google dns to my samsung smart tv & ps4 also because it didnt connect to internet at all. Weird thing is that i can connect to my RPI server from local and internet example my subsonic server works perfectly.

i have done reset from gui but didnt help, everything was working fine before upgrade to .65 firmwares. I have tried with automatic dns and manually using google dns in wan settings also.

Make sure airtime fairness is disabled in .65 and test again. If results are the same upgrade to .66 and make sure airtime fairness is disabled.

didn't help did WPS reset too and updated to .66 firmware. It looks like that clients connecting to router don't get dns from router. Samsung tv connects but says it cannot find dns and check your settings.. Everything is in auto at router and with these settings it has worked before..

clients start to work if i change dns settings by hand in every client.. weird??

airtime fairness is disabled too.

didn't help did WPS reset too and updated to .66 firmware. It looks like that clients connecting to router don't get dns from router. Samsung tv connects but says it cannot find dns and check your settings.. Everything is in auto at router and with these settings it has worked before..

clients start to work if i change dns settings by hand in every client.. weird??

airtime fairness is disabled too.

Just a stretch here. What do you have in LAN-DHCP Server, DNS and WINS Server Setting section? Here are my settings..

upload_2017-4-21_11-26-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-21_11-26-40.png
    upload_2017-4-21_11-26-40.png
    233.6 KB · Views: 851
thanks for the suggestion but didn't help either. I had Advertise router.. setting YES and upstream & dnssec NO but changing them to your settings didn't make a difference :(

ISP says nothing has changed and everything should work normal. Well maybe ill take the router to work and test it in there. If it behaves same there router is broken i guess. Is there any drawbacks or problems if i assing my isp dns to every client manually because it kinda works then but still everything loads slowly and is laggy.

thanks for the suggestion but didn't help either. I had Advertise router.. setting YES and upstream & dnssec NO but changing them to your settings didn't make a difference :(

ISP says nothing has changed and everything should work normal. Well maybe ill take the router to work and test it in there. If it behaves same there router is broken i guess. Is there any drawbacks or problems if i assing my isp dns to every client manually because it kinda works then but still everything loads slowly and is laggy.
I assume you checked that DHCP Server setting is enabled...:rolleyes:
Did you try and give the clients a static IP address to see if that works? Enable manual assignment. You then get a place to enter the mac address, ip address and hostname. Best practice is to assign static ip addresses outside of the dynamic ip address range.

upload_2017-4-21_13-31-46.png

dhcp is enabled i had static routes to nas & rpi and both didnt work. DNS problem is with wifi and lan, i swapped my old router and it works fine every client connects fine and loads websites normally and i dont have to assing dns manually from the client side.

i tested my router at work with other dsl line and same problem occurs in there, i took my rpi server with me and it wont resolv any addresses if i dont assing dns servers in rpi itself.

-> flashed new Asus firmware and everything works perfectly in both locations so problem lies in merlin firmware? i will test 66 beta then i have tested 65.4 / 66 alpha / 66 beta / 64.2. I hope beta works because merlins firmware with openvpn clients is superior to Asus FW.

QoS.PNG
Just got around to install 380.66_beta3 on RT-AC68U.
The first thing that puzzled me (not sure if it's new bug) is that the QoS Bandwidth shows a lot of negative values.
It's setup as Adaptive QoS, Automatic.

View attachment 9186 Just got around to install 380.66_beta3 on RT-AC68U.
The first thing that puzzled me (not sure if it's new bug) is that the QoS Bandwidth shows a lot of negative values.
It's setup as Adaptive QoS, Automatic.
Mine is working fine. Have you tried restarting? Btw, you should post anything related to 380.66 betas in here.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!