What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.66 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I noticed that the sharpening attacks seemed to imply that I was in some way berating Merlin which I never did as I appreciate his work. I posted my issues in hopes of determining causation and arriving at a solution. I wasn't the only person to experience issues with the 5ghz radio dropping out, a first for me on the 67 alpha2 as was the core 1 maxing out at 100%. The stock 7627 firmware is working fine for me and that's all I care about right now.
The third AC88U I purchased had a defective 5Ghz radio. Shortly after the first reboot, the LED indicator light went off. The gui failed to display the dropdown of valid channels and there were other issues with the wifi web gui. This was stock FW too. Changing between stock and Merlin FW did not fix the issue as well as factory resets via gui, erasing nvram and holding down the WPS button upon power on. The google searches I did led me to believe there is a bad batch of AC88U's that must have gotten shipped based on what I saw being posted on the net. I did a RMA and had no issues with the replacement.

The only issues I've ever had is slow vpn client performance after performing a Firmware upgrade. A factory reset and restore using the NVRAM backup and restore utility fixes it every time. And....turning off air time fairness so my wifi printer plays nice with the other clients.

Last edited:
I would like to add my name to the list of names who have had CPU 1 sitting at 100% on my RT-AC68U. All had been running fine on 380.66_4 for around 2 weeks and then I noticed a serious performance issue. I managed to get logged in to the GUI and see the CPU values but couldn't do much else so resorted to pulling the power.

Hi Everyone.

Thanks Merlin for your great work!

I don't post very often but I am on here regularly seeing what's new.

Just wanted to chime in that I have 2 x RT-AC87Us running the original 380.65 with an uptime of 120 days 3 hours 25 minute(s) 12 seconds. They have been rock solid. Never loose wireless, they don't reboot themselves mysteriously, and everything is working great!

Thank you Merlin!

There are a large number of UDP ports added by UPNP being forwarded to my iPhone. I'm guessing an app (I have an idea which one) added them, which makes no sense since apps can't listen to those ports when they aren't running. They have no expiration date.

Is there a way to delete old UPNP mappings without rebooting the router?

Edit:

I found an app that lists UPNP port mapping on a router and allows deleting them so I removed the ports that way.

Last edited:
My RT-N66U is running in repeater mode and I wanted to switch off both bands during night hours but for some reason the following command does not work.

Code:
# wl -i eth1 off
wl: Unsupported

What am I doing wrong? Never tried it on older firmware versions.

Why are there so many public facing open ports? Can these be restricted to LAN only if required for traffic stats or anything of the sort? There are no ports forwarded, or otherwise open by UPnP.

Code:
Scanned at 2017-06-13 19:42:44 EEST for 706s

Not shown: 65530 closed ports
PORT      STATE SERVICE
3394/tcp  open  unknown
5473/tcp  open  unknown
9998/tcp  open  distinct32
18017/tcp open  unknown
56430/tcp open  unknown

Why are there so many public facing open ports? Can these be restricted to LAN only if required for traffic stats or anything of the sort? There are no ports forwarded, or otherwise open by UPnP.

Code:
Scanned at 2017-06-13 19:42:44 EEST for 706s

Not shown: 65530 closed ports
PORT      STATE SERVICE
3394/tcp  open  unknown
5473/tcp  open  unknown
9998/tcp  open  distinct32
18017/tcp open  unknown
56430/tcp open  unknown
Your scanning method must be wrong, as there are no ports at all open on the Wan by default.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Your scanning method must be wrong, as there are no ports at all open on the Wan by default.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

I scanned the WAN IP from a LAN device. The ports are indeed filtered remotely when checked, but the services are still bound to 0.0.0.0. Where can I find some details on what these services are? Can they be changed to only listen on the LAN IP and not bound to 0.0.0.0 with WAN filtering?

I scanned the WAN IP from a LAN device. The ports are indeed filtered remotely when checked, but the services are still bound to 0.0.0.0. Where can I find some details on what these services are? Can they be changed to only listen on the LAN IP and not bound to 0.0.0.0 with WAN filtering?

Do a search on "18017", one of the ports you list. You will see many posts discussing this already.

Thank you very much for 380.66. Nice paint on the website also ;)
Feature Request regarding the following fix in 380.66: FIXED: New outbound connections weren't logged if firewall logging was enabled.
Request: option to exclude logging of new outbound connections if firewall logging is enabled.

After a little research:

1) List the iptables rules of the FORWARD chain, with line numbers:
iptables -vL FORWARD --line-numbers

2) Take a look at the last rule, it should read:
"logaccept all -- br0 any anywhere anywhere"
Take a note of the rule number: #

3) In versions prior to 380.66 this rule was:
"ACCEPT all -- br0 any anywhere anywhere"

4) To change logaccept back to ACCEPT:
iptables -R FORWARD # -i br0 -j ACCEPT

Hm... or simply:
iptables -A FORWARD -i br0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -D FORWARD -i br0 -j logaccept
:rolleyes:

Ever since May 31, the day my AC88U locked up and I needed to hard boot it, the traffic analyzer page has been treating downloaded traffic as both downloaded and uploaded traffic. For example if I download 5 GB and upload 5 GB, the received traffic will show as 5 GB, but the uploaded will show as 10 GB. Since I use the analyzer to estimate traffic, the fact that it's doubling most traffic makes it useless.

Is there some way to fix this?

348a18fc265394a31a26c3e8c301f852.jpg

Is there some way to fix this?

Works correctly for me. Don't forget to disable NAT acceleration if you need accurate results.

Works correctly for me. Don't forget to disable NAT acceleration if you need accurate results.

I keep it enabled because my download speeds are slightly higher than 200 Mbps. I also don't need 100% accuracy, but not having it effectively double the count would be nice.

As I mentioned it used to work until I last hard rebooted so I know it can work, but I'm not sure how to get it working again.

What's interesting is that the ASUS iOS app seems to measure bandwidth correctly. Not only that, it can measure on a per device basis without having to disable NAT acceleration.

Last edited:
What's interesting is that the ASUS iOS app seems to measure bandwidth correctly. Not only that, it can measure on a per device basis without having to disable NAT acceleration.

On my RT-AC68U I used to keep NAT acceleration enabled and it would be goofed up like depending if just CTF or CTF+FA acceleration was enabled. Sometimes turning off acceleration and then enabling it again would toggle it one way or the other if it got switched during a firmware update or reboot. Anyway, since I started using the Trend Micro statistics, I've just left it disabled. I still get 180Mbps down with my 150/10 plan.

It uses Trend Micro's proprietary DPI engine, which can work with CTF enabled. My IPTraffic implementation cannot, since it relies on iptables.

Recently I have seen wifi drop on mt RT-N66U. I use it as a 2.4 gHZ access point, and since the previous update the wifi sometimes simply disappears. This happens a couple of times per week, I haven't been able to find a pattern. When it drops none of my devices can see the network, even though the router itself claims it is up, and the logs show nothing out of the ordinary. A power cycle (or if I feel patient simply re-submitting the wifi settings) solves this. Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Or am I looking at hardware issues :(
(Now at 380.67_alpha2 with the same problem)
[edit] I do have the power settings low- but still have plenty of signal when it works [/edit]

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!