What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.67 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AC88U, since updating to 380.67, had 5 GHz wifi issues - connects to extender that uses gigabit ethernet to drive PS4, 4k TV, PS3, DVD and Sky Q ... so need stable connection!

Thought it was the extender crashing - TP-Link RE450 - but only way to get devices to see the Asus router was to reset the router every 24 - 36 hours. Resetting Re450 made no difference.

TV, SKY Q and PS4 all say no internet ... it's due to lost connection of extender to router.
Wifi also seems to get slower and slower before it loses connection.

Slower also affects the PCs ethernetted to the AC88U.

Just now tried the fix from .66 - airtime fairness disable - to see if it makes the connection last longer.
Failing that I'll try .66 again and see if problem continues, if it's something on the devices or locally here.

Once router reset, it's fantastic!

Thanks

PS - this wasn't problem with .66, and no other changes! Hadn't reset router for 6 weeks!

PPS - rebooted after firmware update but not factory reset. Is it OK to use saved settings after factory reset??

Last edited:
I seem to be suffering with Wireless connectivity problems with 380.67 on my AC-87U too. Wifi seems to drop briefly only to return moments later. I often pick up a device to find that it has connected to a nearby open AP as my Asus Wifi had briefly dropped and then returned. I am also seeing a complete loss of connectivity once in a while, that is only fixed by a DHCP release/refresh. Maybe related?

I dont think the entire Wifi subsystem is restarting as it happens too quickly. Maybe a related process is crashing/restarting?

This appears to be a completely new problem - Not had any wifi issues for many previous versions.

[edit]

Reverted to 380.66_6 and problem still exists, looks like it is something else That started around the same time as my 67 update.

Last edited:
Have reverted both my 87U's to 380.65_4.
Reset to factory afterwoulds.

The browser flood remains on the media bridge router when attempting to switch from 2.4ghz to 5ghz on main wireless page.

Hopefully it stops the dropouts though.

Main reason to go back was I thought it was just the 5ghz bridge that was acting up, but I installed a wireless card to my pc and connected to the 2.4ghz in the main router which seemed ok at first, but it started copping the same dropouts as well.
It seems the whole lot temporarily flicks off, which in turn is what is/was breaking the wifi bridge.

Last edited:
I seem to be suffering with Wireless connectivity problems with 380.67 on my AC-87U too. Wifi seems to drop briefly only to return moments later. I often pick up a device to find that it has connected to a nearby open AP as my Asus Wifi had briefly dropped and then returned. I am also seeing a complete loss of connectivity once in a while, that is only fixed by a DHCP release/refresh. Maybe related?

I dont think the entire Wifi subsystem is restarting as it happens too quickly. Maybe a related process is crashing/restarting?

This appears to be a completely new problem - Not had any wifi issues for many previous versions.

[edit]

Reverted to 380.66_6 and problem still exists, looks like it is something else That started around the same time as my 67 update.

I have now gone back to 380.66_4 which is what I was using before I updated to .67, when all was ok All now seems fine, no drops.

I realise that Wifi problems are usually dismissed as no changes have happened within the drivers, but I'm going to keep an eye on this - and lots of other people seem to be reporting drops too.

something in fw change enough to start causing it dont even have to drivers causing it something interfering with function of the drivers and the wifi, for now i sitting use 380.67, really dont want play the revert fw unless no choice in matter, my router has not moved from it spot in all the time i have had it, and never had issue with wifi droping this much that i actual noticed it till this FW i the 1 wireless device i use is less then 3 feet from the router so signal is not issue with that and it is using manual assigned ip , and when it drops it find no wifi at all cause SSID it self is missing not even manual inputting the SSID will connect cause it not there, till router is rebooted,

I know the difference between interface causing the signal to drop, and guess there the possible the wifi on router is self may be on way out too, I have Bluray player that only find wifi when it feels like it, cause wifi antennae is on not working correctly, and this it not it but what i think and what reported is irrelevant less it can be reproduced by person writing the fw

There is reason why i avoid using wireless this is it, sadly there 4 other in house that use only wireless

I do what to try something though.

DHCP Lease is 86,400 I am assuming time is in seconds and 60x60x24=86,400 which is 24 hours

So in theory 86,400x7= 604,800 would be 7 days , my wireless devices should have same ip 1 week which should reset only when my router reset once week?

Providing my math on the lease time i correct and it can go that high in first place?

Last edited:
well i am assuming my math is right as i set lease to 604,800 and all my wireless device show lease time of 7 days now, so if problem is come from renewing leases, it should no longer be issue, cause all device should have same ip for 7 days until the scheduled reboot that happens ever 7 days

I will keep eye on it if issue dont happen in 7 days from now i gona assume it might renewal issue? like another mentioned

If i am using Manual assigned IP for devices that are out side of the DHCP range which is (192.168.1.2~192.168.1.8) why does the DHCP lease page show them as leasing? like devices that in the DHCP range which is (192.168.1.9~192.168.1.50)?

Also when lease ends does the router right then and there release and renew even if device doing something?

Last edited:
So far no issues now that I'm back to 380.65_4.

Even with my odd setup...

Main router is bridging telco supplied modem/router, also running 2.4ghz for the house.

Secondary router is running media bridge mode, so my NAS is accessible via 5ghz bridge between the 2 routers.

Everything else connecting over 2.4ghz to main router.

Not ideal, but I don't have data ports in this new house we moved into.

Last night I'm playing a game online, partner is streaming Netflix, son is using PlayStation 4 to run Plex on my NAS, as well as his pc playing something, and 4 mobiles all in use and not one hiccup.

I'll leave it up a week and see how it fares...

Just received my brand new RT-AC68U and flashed Merlin 380.67. So far, so good! Rock solid!!

Just one doubt: is there any special settings for Airplay?

Thanks Merlin! And congratulations for your great work!! :)

Almost 19 days up running 380.67 on my ac68u - rock solid (basic user). No issues with around 10 devices for both wireless bands and lan.
Thanks Merlin !

I have now gone back to 380.66_4 which is what I was using before I updated to .67, when all was ok All now seems fine, no drops.

I realise that Wifi problems are usually dismissed as no changes have happened within the drivers, but I'm going to keep an eye on this - and lots of other people seem to be reporting drops too.

Nearly 24 hours back on 380.66_4 with no drops noticed on my AC-87U. For me, it appears something broke between 380.66_4 and 380.66_6, which carried through onto 380.67 too.

No problem with 380.67 on AC87R running about couple weeks. All 2.4, 5 GHz and wired connections are rock solid.
I have active cooling so my temps are : 42C, 49C, 53C.

@Andyf66 - what is average temperature of your AC87 router?

No problem with 380.67 on AC87R running about couple weeks. All 2.4, 5 GHz and wired connections are rock solid.
I have active cooling so my temps are : 42C, 49C, 53C.

@Andyf66 - what is average temperature of your AC87 router?

Temps without the ambient temp is kinda of pointless.

If one of you lives in Alaska and the other in Texas it will be very different.

Temps without the ambient temp is kinda of pointless.

If one of you lives in Alaska and the other in Texas it will be very different.

Well, relation ambient <--> router components temps is indicator of how well your cooling solution works.

For internal router components matter its current temperature. If your CPU has 100C - it is hot no matter of it's location Texas or Alaska....

Just for curiosity - my house AC settings is 77F or 25C.

Well, relation ambient <--> router components temps is indicator of how well your cooling solution works.

For internal router components matter its current temperature. If your CPU has 100C - it is hot no matter of it's location Texas or Alaska....

Just for curiosity - my house AC settings is 77F or 25C.

And don't you think the guy living in texas with a ambient temp of 35c will have a higher chance of his router running close to 100c than the guy in Alaska with an ambient temp of 15c both with stock cooling. The temp outside and your room temp will play a direct roll on component temp regardless of cooling solution.

And don't you think the guy living in texas with a ambient temp of 35c will have a higher chance of his router running close to 100c than the guy in Alaska with an ambient temp of 15c both with stock cooling. The temp outside and your room temp will play a direct roll on component temp regardless of cooling solution.

I don't argue that to cool CPU in Alaska would be easier then in Texas. If we were discussing cooling solutions then yes, one should provide an ambient temperature in order to proper compare cooling methods either stock one or extra fan or liquid nitrogen...

BUT we are talking about CPU stability - once CPU reaches high temps it become less stable no matter what is used for cooling or where router is located - 100C is 100C everywhere. Hence I was asking guy - what is his router temperature to see if instability could be attributed to high temps.

I don't argue that to cool CPU in Alaska would be easier then in Texas. If we were discussing cooling solutions then yes, one should provide an ambient temperature in order to proper compare cooling methods either stock one or extra fan or liquid nitrogen...

BUT we are talking about CPU stability - once CPU reaches high temps it become less stable no matter what is used for cooling or where router is located - 100C is 100C everywhere. Hence I was asking guy - what is his router temperature to see if instability could be attributed to high temps.

I have been referring to cooling only.

Just one doubt: is there any special settings for Airplay?

Not as far as I'm aware of, I have no issues with Airplay.

One thing that might be helpful: If you have limited bandwith available and you use Airplay to stream HD movies for example to an Airplay capable device, you might have to tinker with QoS to make sure streaming content gets priority over other network traffic. If the 'default' implementation of @RMerlin doesn't completely suits your needs, the Adaptive QoS script by @FreshJR will give you even more options to finetune the network traffic in addition to the QoS settings in the WebUI.

Reactions: LHF
MarCoMLXXV,

Thanks for your reply! I will check this out!

i wouldnt know what temp my cpu is I know my router only shows 2.4ghz (57c) and 5ghz (63c) which what they normally are so far it been 2 days since i changes my dhcp lease to 7 days to to match my 7 day reboot cycle, as far as i can tell there isnt any drops happening

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!