What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.10 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

okay so it wouldn't benefit any of the new scripts like stubby?

okay so it wouldn't benefit any of the new scripts like stubby?

I don't know if they require to be able to resolve LAN hostnames, or if having the local resolver use the WAN resolvers would cause any issue - I don't use any of these. You'll have to ask their developers.

oh okay wouldn't
Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS
in theory do the same thing?

thanks for educating me:) and providing an awesome firmware release!

Version 384.10_2 is now available. Changes since 384.10
Is there a proper step by step update procedure to the firmware? Now that I have everything working perfectly, I would rather not risk messing it up by doing a straight up update.

As far as I understand:
1) Unmount the USB drive from the GUI.
2) Run the firmware update.

or do I need to do a factory reset and start all over again from A-Z after updating? :confused:

I do mention the importance of placing the router's IP address in the OpenVPN Client "Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel" section in the OpenVPN Client Setup Guide. But not for the reasons mentioned for your use case. I'll update the instructions for the situation you experienced.
That would be awesome. Thank you.

Actually I think this is a bug that's lined up for a fix, let me see if I can find the source of that thought

Edit: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...10-is-now-available.55742/page-19#post-476800
Code:
 2bc62226a6 rc: reset new firmware notification flag in case update check fails to run post-upgrade
could be it?

An M&M config would solve this, yes, but I think in this case it might not be required

Thank you for the update- I'll be patient for the fix in the next week or two then...

Is there a proper step by step update procedure to the firmware? Now that I have everything working perfectly, I would rather not risk messing it up by doing a straight up update.

As far as I understand:

or do I need to do a factory reset and start all over again from A-Z after updating? :confused:

With the 512MB memory on my 86U I've been risking it and running the firmware update without unmounting my usb drives. I haven't had an issue yet. I think it's more important on the models with less ram.

I haven't factory reset since around 384.8. For the most part if you don't see any issues you're fine without a reset. When oddities crop up that's when it's time to reset and M&M wink @L&LD

As far as I understand:

Try to simply reboot the router (leaving the USB installed) and waiting about 10 minutes after the network comes up.

Flash the (minor) update to the firmware. Let it settle for at least an hour after the network comes up.

Reboot the router one last time and monitor it over the next few hours/days for bugs or glitches. If none show up... all good! :)

With the 512MB memory on my 86U I've been risking it and running the firmware update without unmounting my usb drives. I haven't had an issue yet. I think it's more important on the models with less ram.

I haven't factory reset since around 384.8. For the most part if you don't see any issues you're fine without a reset. When oddities crop up that's when it's time to reset and M&M wink @L&LD
I've had it fail once on my 86U, running multiple scripts (see signature), and having a swap file, but rebooting solved it without removing my USB drive.

Just flashed the 86U and the 68U. Did not do a reset yet. will wait to see if any issues appear. So far so good. Thanks for putting up with us. Don't know how you do it.

Just flashed the 86U and the 68U. Did not do a reset yet. will wait to see if any issues appear. So far so good. Thanks for putting up with us. Don't know how you do it.
yea i flashed my RT-AC5300 from 384.10 to 384.10_2 without any issues. had USB mounted and running scripts.

I've had it fail once on my 86U, running multiple scripts (see signature), and having a swap file, but rebooting solved it without removing my USB drive.
And I just updated directly from 384.9 to 384.10_2 after about 30 days uptime. No reboot, no nothing. Worked as expected.

In my case I have 2 websites with 2 wan, they use all 2 port 80 on IP fix different, netgear does it but I have problems with the current router (srx5308)

ip wan1 -> website 1 -> port 80
ip wan2 -> website 2 -> port 80

You can check the status of the existing Dual-WAN RPDB rules inserted when using the GUI.
Code:
ip rule
..then simply match the rule syntax for the websites.

NOTE: URLs/Domains cannot be used directly, so if there are multiple IPs for each website it will require a rule for each IP to ensure that ALL website traffic is routed appropriately.

e.g. If you already know the static IP of the website that needs to be routed via the Primary WAN
Code:
ip rule add to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx lookup wan0 prio 99
otherwise you will need to use additional scripting to add (without duplicates) ALL of the current IPs associated with the website.

e.g. Send all requests for BBC UK via the Secondary WAN
Code:
#!/bin/sh

for WEBSITE_IP in $(nslookup "www.bbc.co.uk" | grep -woE '([0-9]{1,3}\.){3}[0-9]{1,3}' | awk 'NR>2' | tr '\n' ' ')
    do
       ip rule del to $WEBSITE_IP lookup wan1 prio 99 2>/dev/null
       ip rule add to $WEBSITE_IP lookup wan1 prio 99
 done

If you must redirect only Port 80 traffic to those IPs then you will most likely need to use the Netflix IPSET+dnsmasq technique etc. especially if there are a huge list of multiple IPs for the website as they may change dynamically for each nslookup call.

I suggest you manually test your two sites (initially allowing ANY port) to see if it works, then if required, try and limit the Selective Routing to 'www' traffic if this is vital.

e.g. Untested -but will attempt to exploit Dual-WAN tagging rules for specific ports i.e. 80 and 443 for the site
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Usage:
#    e.g.        p   www.cbs.com
#                2   www.nbc.com

case $1 in
    1|p|primary) WAN_TAGMARK="0x80000000/0xf0000000"            # Primary WAN
        WAN_IF="wan0"
        ;;
    2|s| secondary) WAN_TAGMARK="0x90000000/0xf0000000"         # Secondary WAN
        WAN_IF="wan1"
        ;;
    *)
        echo -e $cBRED"\a\n\t***ERROR arg must be WAN interface for Dual-WAN Selective Routing i.e 1-Primary WAN, 2-Secondary WAN\n"$cRESET
        exit 99
        ;;
esac

for WEBSITE_IP in $(nslookup "$2" | grep -woE '([0-9]{1,3}\.){3}[0-9]{1,3}' | awk 'NR>2' | tr '\n' ' ')
    do
        iptables -t mangle -D PREROUTING -i br0 -d $WEBSITE_IP -p tcp -m multiport --dport 80,443 -j MARK --set-mark $WAN_TAGMARK 2>/dev/null
        iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -d $WEBSITE_IP -p tcp -m multiport --dport 80,443 -j MARK --set-mark $WAN_TAGMARK
    done

iptables -nvL PREROUTING -t mangle --line

Last edited:

All my routers are automatically rebooting after 384.10_2 update.

All good on 87u with 384.10_2
Thanks RMerlin :)

Flashed RT-AC86U from 384.10_1-g9410bcd604 to 384.10_2

Format JFFS partition on next boot, factory reset then manually reconfigured settings

Settings used

VPN client with Express VPN
Enabled Manual Assignment on DHCP Server Page
Traffic Analyzer, Adaptive QoS and AIProtection

All appears to be fine and Bandwidth Monitor now loads properly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try to simply reboot the router (leaving the USB installed) and waiting about 10 minutes after the network comes up.

Flash the (minor) update to the firmware. Let it settle for at least an hour after the network comes up.

Reboot the router one last time and monitor it over the next few hours/days for bugs or glitches. If none show up... all good! :)
Just did that and so far everything still looks great!

Will reboot the router in an hour as suggested but I think all is well with the update.

Thank you very much to everyone :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!