What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why would a reset help here? the performance difference is vey clear when switching back /forth, this has nothing to do with LAN / wifi performance, it's the WAN side that's slower. maybe the test involves multiple resolve requests, I don't know, but it severely affects the test. just go to speedtest.net and see for yourself.

Yes - I myself, and many others, have been using DNS-over-TLS since it was first introduced in one of the Asuswrt-Merlin BETA's - with ZERO impact to performance as measured by:

- speedtest.net
- dslreports.com Speed Test
- FAST.COM (Netflix speed test)

Therefore there's something unique to your setup / ISP / geographic location* which is causing the anomaly.

*Note: it's possible the speed issue you saw has nothing to do with DoT, but is related to Cloudflare DNS vs your ISP DNS.
Perhaps when you use your ISP DNS, you are directed to a speedtest.net site which is very close to you.
And when you use Cloudflare DNS, you are directed to a speedtest.net site which is farther away (i.e. slower).
So, that may be a fault of using Cloudflare, not using DoT.

Yes I'm running all scripts from amtm except for YazFi and ntpMerlin. I'm also running FreshJR script as well to include xentrk
Do you use Diversion? run the command : top
and check what process is eating your cpu. I had some issues with diversion before, where even with diversion shell history disabled, after flashing a FW , the process of shell history was eating CPU.
Run the command top and kill the process . (kill -9 PID_NUMBER)
PID_NUMBER = the process number on the first column that corresponds to the process you want to kill)

UPDATE: On this router AX88U the time server I was using was "time.cloudflare.com." Everything I tried failed to correct the problem of getting an early time sync in the reboot process. As soon as I changed the time server from "time.cloudflare.com" to "pool.ntp.org" ...Boom it all works. This is not a firmware issue it would seem. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I have re-flashed, reset and M&M still the "time.cloudflare.com" doesn't play well early in the boot with NTP Server enabled. Disable NTP Server and "time.cloudflare.com" works, as server.

UPDATE: So is there a reason that "time.cloudflare.com" works as a basic time source but not as a NTPD source?
Did you add the port number at the end or just the site?

Mabye you have to try it with the port number Also the full url.
"time.cloudflare.com" works as a basic time server, it's when you add the check mark for NTP Server and NTP intercept. That's what seems to break things somehow.

"time.cloudflare.com" works as a basic time server, it's when you add the check mark for NTP Server and NTP intercept. That's what seems to break things somehow.
So far it seems to work for me so far try Theis

time.cloudflare.com:1234
roughtime.cloudflare.com:2002

So far it seems to work for me so far try Theis

time.cloudflare.com:1234
roughtime.cloudflare.com:2002
The first one syncs time but doesn't fix the boot process. The second one doesn't work at all.

That’s a good point and makes sense, I’ll check

Yes - I myself, and many others, have been using DNS-over-TLS since it was first introduced in one of the Asuswrt-Merlin BETA's - with ZERO impact to performance as measured by:

- speedtest.net
- dslreports.com Speed Test
- FAST.COM (Netflix speed test)

Therefore there's something unique to your setup / ISP / geographic location* which is causing the anomaly.

*Note: it's possible the speed issue you saw has nothing to do with DoT, but is related to Cloudflare DNS vs your ISP DNS.
Perhaps when you use your ISP DNS, you are directed to a speedtest.net site which is very close to you.
And when you use Cloudflare DNS, you are directed to a speedtest.net site which is farther away (i.e. slower).
So, that may be a fault of using Cloudflare, not using DoT.

Just updated with new 384.12 and it working fine so far,
Uptime 0 days 0 hours 18 minute(s) 49 seconds

# Samba page working fine with GUI.

Thank you RMerlin!

Last edited:
The first one syncs time but doesn't fix the boot process. The second one doesn't work at all.
Do you rely on dnsmasq customization for pool.ntp.org/1.1.1.1 ? Shouldn’t matter if you are using the new 384.12 default resolver setting, but if not you might need something similar for time.cloudflare.com.

Folks, what's wrong with using XXX.pool.ntp.org ?

What's the benefit of using Cloudflare's time service? Is there an actual benefit, or is Cloudflare attempting to keep their name in the news by "reinventing" all of the legacy Internet services on a regular basis? :)

Do you rely on dnsmasq customization for pool.ntp.org/1.1.1.1 ? Shouldn’t matter if you are using the new 384.12 default resolver setting, but if not you might need something similar for time.cloudflare.com.
Good catch!!! I will test later. Thanks @dave14305

Any scripts, USB drives, did you clear JFFS partition? Basically you need to start from scratch.

Could try double flash, first.

Could you fill out your "Signature", in account settings.
Im good. Try to reinstall and have no USB connected during that.. I alway doubleflash with reboots in between.
upload_2019-6-22_18-6-58.png

Folks, what's wrong with using XXX.pool.ntp.org ?

What's the benefit of using Cloudflare's time service? Is there an actual benefit, or is Cloudflare attempting to keep their name in the news by "reinventing" all of the legacy Internet services on a regular basis? :)
Do a traceroute of Cloudflare compared to pool.ntp.org. Which one has better latency and closeness to you? The results explains the reason.;)

Network Analysis page on non-HND router now also use the Netool daemon, however they still use the original busybox version of traceroute (the newer version is not compatible with older uclibc versions)
Minor cosmetic issue on the new page. The "Ping (Continuous)" dropdown shows the text for nslookup. All the other options change the text to match the chosen function. This is on AC68U.

Ping (Continuous) with nslookup description
upload_2019-6-22_12-33-45.png

Ping with expected ICMP description
upload_2019-6-22_12-34-4.png

TLS DNS is significantly slower here.
Speedtest.net shows 250Mbit+ with my providers DNS configured, and 138Mbit Max with cloudfare configured. I'll leave TLS off for now

A DNS has nothing to do with network throughput performance. You were probably testing from two different servers.

Before flashing the latest version 384.12 from Merlin on a new RT-AC86U with pre-installed stock firmware, do you need to WPS NVRAM Erase?
Or is it enough to make a factory default reset in the webui of the router?
Which reset is correct if I follow the recommendations of the RMerlin/L&LD? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!