What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Before flashing the latest version 384.12 from Merlin on a new RT-AC86U with pre-installed stock firmware, do you need to WPS NVRAM Erase?
Or is it enough to make a factory default reset in the webui of the router?
Which reset is correct if I follow the recommendations of the RMerlin/L&LD? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, flash the firmware you want to use or test. In this case RMerlin 384.12.

Now, follow the M&M Config guide.

On a new router (even one I take the shrink wrap off myself) I would be following the Nuclear Reset guide to ensure that there are no weird inter-firmware interactions at all. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it hasn't been used to test various firmware. ;)

Both the M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides (along with many others) can be found in the link in my signature below.

Why would a reset help here? the performance difference is vey clear when switching back /forth, this has nothing to do with LAN / wifi performance, it's the WAN side that's slower. maybe the test involves multiple resolve requests, I don't know, but it severely affects the test. just go to speedtest.net and see for yourself.

Once resolved, for sustained data rates, it should not matter, but appearantly that's not the way they test and also not what reflects real usage loading and refreshing different pages. So my conclusion is that for real life use scenarios your mileage may vary.

Can't tell you the why, but I can say more than a few have found positive results by doing so. :)

While an M&M Config may be enough, I would lean towards the Nuclear Reset with 'weird' issues like you're experiencing. Only a few minutes longer, but there is literally nothing else to try if followed to the letter, configuration wise. :)

Please see the link in my signature below for both the M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides (along with other helpful links too). :)

Which one has better latency and closeness to you? The results explains the reason.
RMerlin has explained why this makes no difference in the appropriate thread.

384.12 running smooth here. Haven't noticed any issues or problems.

Just because it's new, doesn't mean it hasn't been used to test various firmware.
More often than not the firmware in [insert device here] is old as the box sits on a shelf in a warehouse and you either upgrade it manually or it does so automatically so I agree that it is never a bad idea to ensure a clean configuration. Although, I must admit I haven't had an issue with firmware updates vs configuration in at least a decade, other than with my Asus router.

Flashed 384.12 did factory reset as usual when new firmware flashed. For now everything is working nice and smooth.

Big up for RMerlin and all others that worked on new firmwares.

First, flash the firmware you want to use or test. In this case RMerlin 384.12.
Now, follow the M&M Config guide.
On a new router (even one I take the shrink wrap off myself) I would be following the Nuclear Reset guide to ensure that there are no weird inter-firmware interactions at all. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it hasn't been used to test various firmware. ;)
Both the M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides (along with many others) can be found in the link in my signature below.

Thanks for the answer!
Thus, if I correctly understood the sequence of actions with the new router:
1. Flashing new rt-ac86u from web gui to RMerlin 384.12 firmware. Use ASUS Firmware Restoration for flash RMerlin firmware is not required.
2. Perform Nuclear Reset
3. Perform M&M Config
All right?

Thanks for the answer!
1. Flashing new rt-ac86u from web gui to RMerlin 384.12 firmware. Use ASUS Firmware Restoration for flash RMerlin firmware is not required.
2. Perform Nuclear Reset
3. Perform M&M Config
All right?

You're welcome. :)

1. Asus Firmware Restoration Tool is not required. :)
2. The 'Nuclear Reset' is a superset of the M&M Config. By following the Nuclear Reset, you will also be doing an M&M Config too. :)

Just follow the steps as outlined. Many happy customers! :)

Thanks for the answer!
2. Perform Nuclear Reset
3. Perform M&M Config
All right?
I usually proceed by this mode: Reseto the old firmware. After the resete, I upgrade to the new firmware. After upgrading, I re-reset and restore the settings and jffs. I always do the error checking. For me it works and avoids the work of redoing the settings.

Last edited:
I usually proceed by this mode: Reseto the old firmware. After the resete, I upgrade to the new firmware. After upgrading, I re-reset and restore the settings and jffs. I always do the error checking. For me it works and avoids the work of redoing the settings.

Hope it continues working for you. But using an old backup config file to restore settings is equivalent to not having done a reset to factory defaults at all. :)

Didn't saw nuclear reset word in it, I already read that. But tnx.

I named it 'Nuclear Reset' and it can be found via the link in my signature below.

If that is followed fully to the letter, the probability of inter-firmware interactions and user mis-configurations is virtually nil. :)

I'll go back and edit that post to add the 'Nuclear Reset' title to it. :)

sitting with a brand new AC86U at my living room table right now, can't wait to finally be back on the Merlin train! Thanks!!!

Congrats and welcome back from the dark side (anywhere non-RMerlin is the dark side)! :)

How long have you been away? You may want to have a look at the link in my signature for the M&M Config (or Nuclear Reset, if needed) to have your RT-AC86U working without glitches and you definitely want to have a look at the amtm Step-by-Step guide to get started in the amazing scripts available too (or, just to have a properly formatted USB drive and swap file for your router to use).

:) :) :)

So, I tried to do my usual dirty upgrade on my RT-AC5300. It totally failed to accommodate my 8 TB media drive. It caused all sorts of problems, but ultimately failed to mount. These were the log entries, after I had tried every usual solution:

Jun 22 14:41:26 kernel: b_state=0x00000020, b_size=512
Jun 22 14:41:26 kernel: device blocksize: 512
Jun 22 14:41:26 kernel: __find_get_block_slow() failed. block=4766297888, b_blocknr=471330592
Jun 22 14:41:26 kernel: b_state=0x00000020, b_size=512
Jun 22 14:41:26 kernel: device blocksize: 512

This repeated over and over, tying up all the CPU assets (100%). Memory use peaked at 94%, then after 8 minutes, fell to 44% and stable.
Something about the usb change for Windows problems in reading the drive (in some cases, not mine) seems to have really hosed the operating software.

If I left the media drive unplugged, all was well with the system thumb drive in the usb 2.0 slot. I am going to roll back to see if that solves the problem. More shortly...

So, I rolled back to beta 2. After boot, the media drive showed as having a system error. Upon scanning the drive, this was the error message:
MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might have been created incorrectly.

I repaired the drive, deleted all ASUS router written files/folders, played media from the drive, scanned it again (just to be sure), and all was well. I then tried it again with the software update with the same result and the same endless error message.

Again, the router is fine without the large media drive attached.

Last edited:
How long have you been away? You may want to have a look at the link in my signature for the M&M Config (or Nuclear Reset, if needed) to have your RT-AC86U working without glitches and you definitely want to have a look at the amtm Step-by-Step guide to get started in the amazing scripts available too (or, just to have a properly formatted USB drive and swap file for your router to use). :) :) :)

I mistankely dipped my toes into mesh networking with the google wifi a year or so ago, coming from a single Asus RT-N66U. I did get better coverage with the Google wifi, but port forwarding has never been working. Now I got a chance to get rid of the gwifi and finally can tinker with a Asus router again.

Thanks! Definitely will take a look at that those links. Just flashed 384.12.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!