What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Of course the DNS inquiry is slower (higher latency than providers DNS) over DoT, but it can not affect the speed when the address gets resolved!
Reset to factory defaults...
Why would a reset help here? the performance difference is vey clear when switching back /forth, this has nothing to do with LAN / wifi performance, it's the WAN side that's slower. maybe the test involves multiple resolve requests, I don't know, but it severely affects the test. just go to speedtest.net and see for yourself.

Once resolved, for sustained data rates, it should not matter, but appearantly that's not the way they test and also not what reflects real usage loading and refreshing different pages. So my conclusion is that for real life use scenarios your mileage may vary.

Of course the DNS inquiry is slower (higher latency than providers DNS) over DoT, but it can not affect the speed when the address gets resolved!
Reset to factory defaults...

It doesn't affect speed. But I've been thinking maybe some dns send you to further cdn servers. I know that's a big issue they're trying to solve.

Tweak on TCP sysctl is well adjusted. Dnsmasq and DoT well adjusted. Excellent job. No problem with the update. Restore settings without any complications. @RMerlin @themiron

Why would a reset help here? the performance difference is vey clear when switching back /forth, this has nothing to do with LAN / wifi performance, it's the WAN side that's slower. maybe the test involves multiple resolve requests, I don't know, but it severely affects the test. just go to speedtest.net and see for yourself.

Once resolved, for sustained data rates, it should not matter, but appearantly that's not the way they test and also not what reflects real usage loading and refreshing different pages. So my conclusion is that for real life use scenarios your mileage may vary.
Reset in case you have problems that do not resolve by settings, thus the "...".
From my region, I do not have that, same speed no mater the resolver.

It doesn't affect speed. But I've been thinking maybe some dns send you to further cdn servers. I know that's a big issue they're trying to solve.
Probably because of this, from your region that is.
The point being, nothing to do with DoT itself.

So tried to pick the server manually on speedtest.net? Same speed then?

Updated to Final 12. All good. Even the app connected directly. Fully use from "outside".
Thanks Merlin.

AX88U having trouble after flash with NTP again. I had to disable the NTP Server function or the NTP Sync during reboot takes forever....minutes at least. Anyone else? I disabled the NTP Server and boom it boots clean and fast again.

Smooth flash over beta2 on my AC88U. Thanks RMerlin!

Question...after updating to latest FW, I'm seeing both my CPUs stay at 95-96% constantly. Is this normal?

Question...after updating to latest FW, I'm seeing both my CPUs stay at 95-96% constantly. Is this normal?

Any scripts, USB drives, did you clear JFFS partition? Basically you need to start from scratch.

Could try double flash, first.

Could you fill out your "Signature", in account settings.

No. It is not normal. Use the command 'top' in ssh and see what process consumes high cpu usage and kill it. Do you have any scripts running?

No. It is not normal. Use the command 'top' in ssh and see what process consumes high cpu usage and kill it. Do you have any scripts running?

Yes I'm running all scripts from amtm except for YazFi and ntpMerlin. I'm also running FreshJR script as well to include xentrk

AX88U having trouble after flash with NTP again. I had to disable the NTP Server function or the NTP Sync during reboot takes forever....minutes at least. Anyone else? I disabled the NTP Server and boom it boots clean and fast again.

UPDATE: On this router AX88U the time server I was using was "time.cloudflare.com." Everything I tried failed to correct the problem of getting an early time sync in the reboot process. As soon as I changed the time server from "time.cloudflare.com" to "pool.ntp.org" ...Boom it all works. This is not a firmware issue it would seem. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I have re-flashed, reset and M&M still the "time.cloudflare.com" doesn't play well early in the boot with NTP Server enabled. Disable NTP Server and "time.cloudflare.com" works, as server.

UPDATE: So is there a reason that "time.cloudflare.com" works as a basic time source but not as a NTPD source?

Last edited:
Again, why would want change time svr? Can someone qualify “speed” (as in relevant for a one time pulse) and security (what’s patched) ?

Again, why would want change time svr? Can someone qualify “speed” (as in relevant for a one time pulse) and security (what’s patched) ?
You have asked the same question in another area. My answer is why not! When your ISP plays games with anycast addresses you look for the best solution.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

To test, to improve, to resolve, for me that's what its all about. :D

Flashed RT-AC86 from 384.12_beta2 to 384.12

Format JFFS partition at next boot, factory reset & manually reconfigured settings

Settings used

DHCP Server
VPN client using ExpressVPN
DoT / Quad9
Traffic Analyzer
Adaptive QoS

Various scripts, thank you, you clever people [emoji4]

My thanks to RMerlin for the excellent firmware [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!