What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 384.12 is now available for all supported models. This release merges with new GPL and brings various enhancements.

Also, note that the project now has its own dedicated domain name. The official project website is now https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ . My contact email for anything related to this project has also now changed to merlin <at> asuswrt-merlin <dot> net.

The highlights of changes in 384.12:
  • Merged GPL 384_45717 for non-AX models, with 382_51634/51640 binary blobs for the RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200.
  • Implemented support for WS Discovery. This allows Windows clients without SMBv1 support to discover your router's network shares.
  • Updated components: nano 4.2, OpenSSL-10x to 1.0.2s, OpenSSL11x to 1.1.1c, curl 7.65.1 and miniupnpd 20190604 snapshot.
  • Classification page now shows local clients by their names instead of their IP
  • Reworked handling of up/down events in OpenVPN, resolved a number of issues/limitations.
  • Added firewall to OpenVPN clients, which is enabled by default. This prevents remote servers from accessing your LAN through the VPN tunnel. If you have a site-to-site tunnel, or another setup where you are expecting inbound traffic to be sent to you through the tunnel then you can disable the firewall on the OpenVPN client page.
  • The router will now directly use the WAN-configured DNS for name resolution done on the router itself by default. The option is still configurable under Tools -> Other Settings for those who have a particular need that requires the former default behaviour. This matches how stock firmware works, and this change has zero impact on your LAN clients.
  • SSL certificates generated on the router will now use a random serial number, which might help browsers that don't like having different certificates with the same serial number but a different signature.
  • Network Analysis page on non-HND router now also use the Netool daemon, however they still use the original busybox version of traceroute (the newer version is not compatible with older uclibc versions)
  • Resolved IPv6 connectivity issues on the RT-AX88U (fix backported from other models)

Please review the changelog for the complete list of changes.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
Seems like im the 1st downloading for RT-AC86U...awesome job RMerlin!!!

Next Diversion release has the new Asuswrt-Merlin domain (asuswrt-merlin.net) and its subdomain for firmware updates in the hard-coded whitelist.

flashed, seems to work fine.
activated the DNS-TLS thingy, is it me, or is page loading via cloudfare just a bit slower than my own providers DNS servers?
it seems the latency, before the page loads is higher, not as it being a router performance problem, but more the round trip of the DNS query, or am I imagining this?

It seems to work fine on my router too :)
Are using OpenDNS.
What can I do to upgrade security without downgrade the speed too much?

Just updated my AC5300. I had to stop / start openvpn before it actually ran (gui said running, logging did not show it was started at all), but other than that nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks Eric!

Smooth update from 384.11_2 to 384.12 on the AX88U.
I DO have to set local DNS caching to Yes for my local servers to work in my LAN, just as mentioned in the changelog.

TLS DNS is significantly slower here.
Speedtest.net shows 250Mbit+ with my providers DNS configured, and 138Mbit Max with cloudfare configured. I'll leave TLS off for now

Sorry for the noob question: if I update do I loose all my settings ? Shall I Install amtm and Diversion again ?

On my AC86U Update failed with this file : RT-AC86U_384.12_0_cferom_ubi

Router restarted with 384.11_2

Update: did it again, same file , just a new try and went OK.
Everything OK for the time being.

Last edited:
Smooth flash over 384.11_2, thanks Merlin, script magicians, and all the alpha and beta testers, it's been a real education.

Updated several RT-AC68U's, RT-AC86U's and a few RT-AC3100's to 384.12, no issues. :)

activated the DNS-TLS thingy, is it me, or is page loading via cloudfare just a bit slower than my own providers DNS servers?
it seems the latency, before the page loads is higher, not as it being a router performance problem, but more the round trip of the DNS query, or am I imagining this?

TLS DNS is significantly slower here.
Speedtest.net shows 250Mbit+ with my providers DNS configured, and 138Mbit Max with cloudfare configured. I'll leave TLS off for now
Of course the DNS inquiry is slower (higher latency than providers DNS) over DoT, but it can not affect the speed when the address gets resolved!
Reset to factory defaults...

Updated, all is fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!