What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RMerlin I find that when denying internet access to my printer through the connections list (on my AX88U), my network loses internet access entirely. Once I set the device to have access to the internet again the network has access too. This worked fine on 384.12 and for that matter 384.12 alpha and beta versions. The log shows an error when applying NAT rules.
Code:
Aug  2 08:09:59 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0) error!

What is the content of /tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0 after it generated that error?

I have access intranet off as I don’t want people on my guest network accessing devices on my non guest networks. The TV and phones are on the guest network and are able to cast to the TV on 384.12, just not on 384.13.
This is how it is supposed to be! It was probably broken on 384.12, and fixed on 384.13.
Devices on the Guest network are not supposed to see each other or the ones on the main network (unless enabled).

What is the content of /tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0 after it generated that error?
Sorry for wasting your time sir. I just tried again and it now works without NAT Rules error. :eek::eek:o_Oo_O

I've switched over to 384.13 this morning on my primary RT-68U + RT-68U AiMesh node setup, coming from the native ASUS firmware and was wondering:

1. For my AiMesh node, should I also change the firmware over to the Merlin 384.13 or leave it on the native ASUS version? Which is the recommended method and why? I recall reading somewhere in one of the release notes that it recommended leaving the AiMesh node to ASUS's stock firmware instead of the Merlin firmware?

2. Like the ASUS firmware, I noticed some of my wireless clients (in the network map) by the icons have a number and when I highlight my cursor on it, it says "x clients are connecting to RT-AC68U through this device". I don't recall seeing this in the earlier versions of the ASUS firmware and was curious what is the cause of this? For example, two of the clients are printers, and currently no one is printing or connected to the printer yet the network map is stating two clients are connected to the RT-AC68U router through this printer. Same for some of the laptops that are online and P2P aren't enabled on them. Just curious.

Thanks in advance.

I've switched over to 384.13 this morning on my primary RT-68U + RT-68U AiMesh node setup, coming from the native ASUS firmware and was wondering:

1. For my AiMesh node, should I also change the firmware over to the Merlin 384.13 or leave it on the native ASUS version? Which is the recommended method and why? I recall reading somewhere in one of the release notes that it recommended leaving the AiMesh node to ASUS's stock firmware instead of the Merlin firmware?

2. Like the ASUS firmware, I noticed some of my wireless clients (in the network map) by the icons have a number and when I highlight my cursor on it, it says "x clients are connecting to RT-AC68U through this device". I don't recall seeing this in the earlier versions of the ASUS firmware and was curious what is the cause of this? For example, two of the clients are printers, and currently no one is printing or connected to the printer yet the network map is stating two clients are connected to the RT-AC68U router through this printer. Same for some of the laptops that are online and P2P aren't enabled on them. Just curious.

Thanks in advance.
1. no advantage with Merlin on nodes, but easier to update with AsusWRT, thats the reason to leave them on stock.
2. known behavior, dont know what exatly, there are different postings about it.

I had too much trouble with AiMesh, so I went back to a AP. Can anyone tell me if there is any difference to running stock on the AP or, are there any distinct advantages to running Asuswrt-Merlin. Thanks people!!
And the winner is!!!!! Asuswrt-Merlin. Lots of webui enhancements, scripts support to name a few. Was there ever any doubt? :rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool:

Edit: AiMesh is just no fun. Nothing to tinker with...Lol!

Last edited:
1. no advantage with Merlin on nodes, but easier to update with AsusWRT, thats the reason to leave them on stock.
2. known behavior, dont know what exatly, there are different postings about it.

Thanks for the info.

Just noticed there was a tab labeled "Administration - Temperature" which I didn't see in the ASUS firmware. It's reporting my router for:

Current Temperatures: 53 °C - 55 °C - 83 °C

Any cause for concerns? Is this normal?

Gotta say this 384.13 is another homerun. Can't believe how much better my wifi is with aimesh. Retired, so I can't send much, but this is donation worthy stuff, as was 384.12. Please, please keep up the good work.

Thanks for the info.

Just noticed there was a tab labeled "Administration - Temperature" which I didn't see in the ASUS firmware. It's reporting my router for:

Current Temperatures: 53 °C - 55 °C - 83 °C

Any cause for concerns? Is this normal?
No and yes.

I was on the alpha, then beta, but now on 384.13 I've noticed a lot of "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address" entries in the General Log on my Aimesh setup using 3 RT-AC68U's with the 2 nodes on ethernet. At one point, both nodes went offline but automatically recovered after a few minutes.

After some search's I tried deleting my "Guest Network" to no avail. Then I noticed the wireless MAC's of the nodes showing up on the Main's "Wireless Log". The 2.4 MAC's seem to drop off after some time, but the 5G's persist usually showing <unknown> as the IP. However occasionally at least one of the 5G MAC's shows the same IP I manually assigned the LAN (Ethernet) MAC node (outside the DHCP range but on same IP range). Is it possible this is the cause of the above entry in the General Log?

I deleted the manual IP assignments of the nodes rebooted everything and let DHCP assign the nodes LAN IP . So far the entry has not re-occurred. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

RT-AC86U updated from 384.12 to 384.13 with no issues. :cool:

I never reset anything if it's not needed. Flash on top via the WebUI over WiFi and with USB drive plugged in, as always.

I've learned so much in the short time I've perused this site. The information is so invaluable and empowering. I'm still finding interesting ways to tweak and fiddle around with my Asus RT-AC68U routers settings/features.

I've copied and pasted the link/URL at the upper right side of the browser window under "Support SNBForums" to my password manager. So now, every time I click to visit amazon.com from Lastpass, it is via your link so you guys get the small commission for my purchases. I just set it and forget it!

That's the least thing I could do to start supporting such an outstanding effort from some very dedicated and knowledgeable technophiles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-03 [Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384 13 is now available.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-03 [Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384 13 is now available.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 327
Here is my current test setup:
Master ==(Wireless)== Node--(cable)--Laptop.

When I SSH'ed into the Master and ran tcpdump command to check if DoT was working or not, the terminal didn't show anything and the laptop couldn't reach the internet. Press Ctrl+C to stop the command and everything would work normally. Don't know if this is a bug?

As I just want to do some testing, so all routers were reset to defaults, everything were setup from scratch, etc. Only Diversion, pixelserv-tls, tcpdump and OpenVPN Server 1 were installed/enabled on Master.

Updated my AC86u from 384.11_2 to 384.13, did a reset as well.

No issues to report.

Just one thing I'm unsure if I should disable

Under USB Application , Network Place (Samba) share, I have enable share on by default, is this something I should disable?

Not quite sure what it does, by the way I do not use the USB ports on the router so if its only for this side of things I presume its best to disable, can someone confirm please?

Thanks

Failing to upgrade here. Tried upgrading my RT-AC5300 from 384.12 to this 384.13 and it's not working. I've tried a straight upgrade from 384.12, then a factory reset and then upgrade using the firmware recovery tool to upload it including a NVRAM erase. Each time the install says "Applying settings" but no matter how long I leave it the upgrade doesn't take, I eventually give up and hard reboot and I'm back to 384.12 still.

Don't know why I'm having this issue, others with the AC5300 seem to have succeeded. I am running in AP mode if that makes any difference.

Found a couple of remarks about the RT-AX88U about increased cpu temperature.
My router is a RT-AC88U, so I was afraid it would show the same symptoms after upgrading.
I checked the cpu temperature before upgrading (384.12) and after upgrading (384.13). In both cases cpu temperature is around 73 degrees Celsius.

No problems found with the new firmware.

Are RT-AC88U and RT-AX88U the same?

Edit: Fixed typo.

Last edited:
My RT-AX88U temp with 384.13 in a 23c room. 2.4 GHz: 52°C - 5 GHz: 49°C - CPU: 80°C The Thermal spec for the "armv8 cortex-a53 4-way" processor is -40c to +105c from a distributor (NXP) website of the chip.

Found a couple of remarks about the RT-AX88U about increased cpu temperature.
My router is a RT-AC88U, so I was afraid it would show the same symptoms after upgrading.
I checked the cpu temperature before upgrading (384.12) and after upgrading (384.13). In both cases cpu temperature is around 73 degrees Celsius.

No problems found with the new firmware.

Are RT-AX88U and RT-AX88U the same?
It's only ax88u problem.

Merlin.nodes can operate user scripts if end user feels so inclined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!