What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 (and 384.13_6) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
The focus of this release was the addition of two new models, the RT-AX58U (and it's RT-AX3000 cousin) and the RT-AX56U.

I am also formally announcing that as of now, the RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200 are on limited support, (which has already been the case for the last two releases, I'm just making it official now). The main reason is these two models are no longer based on the same code as their other recent models, and that older code is no longer compatible with mine, making it impossible for me to compile my latest GPL code for these two models. If eventually Asus decides to bring them back on the same codebase as the other main models, then I will be able to bring them back into full support mode. However if it doesn't happen in the near future, then I will eventually be forced to completely drop these two models. For now I just backported a few fixes to them, see the 384.13_6 changelog for details.

The highlights of this release:
  • Added support for the RT-AX58U, RT-AX3000 and RT-AX56U.
  • Merged GPL 384_8253 (for AX models).
  • Merged 384_7977 binary blobs for the RT-AX88U.
  • Merged 384_81352 binary blobs for the RT-AC86U.
  • Updated components: Tor (0.4.2.6), curl (7.68.0), nano (4.8), inadyn (2.6), getdns (1.6.0), stubby (0.3.0), amtm (3.1.6), openssl-1.1 (1.1.1f), dnsmasq (2.81rc4-33-g7558f2b)
  • The Wireless Log page will now show Guest clients separately from the regular ones.
  • Added traffic meter to the main status page. To save space, I removed the mostly useless RAM chart (but it will still report usage itself)
  • Fixed VPN clients being unable to use the router as their DNS server.
  • Fixed miniupnpd refusing to work if WAN IP was a private IP (was only partly fixed in the past)
  • And a few other minor fixes to the webui

Please keep discussions to this specific release. This thread will get locked down after a few weeks once the release-specific feedback will have died down.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Downloading now! Hope my VOIP stays up.

<edit> Dirty flashed from 384.15 with no issues using multiple 4k streams, VOIP, and work & PIA VPNs running without a hiccup...wouldn't expect anything less:

Thanks Merlin!

Last edited:
Thank you.
Regular question for all new releases, can we just flash without factory reset? I'm currently on .14 version and would like to dirty flash .16
If not, then I need to do it when I have at least 1 hour to poke around it.

Read the release notes on the download location.
It specifies if you would need to reset or not.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Regular question for all new releases, can we just flash without factory reset? I'm currently on .14 version and would like to dirty flash .16

That will be fine, they are close enough.

Thanks RMerlin :)
Smooth update on 87u

Just upgraded now and everything looks great thank you boss.

Update without a hitch for both machines!
Thanks!

Upgrade RT-AX88U & RT-AC3100 from V384.16_beta3 to V384.16 Final via dirty firmware upgrade. 30+ devices (includes gaming, streaming, downloads, etc.) and all appears to be working for main AX88U & backup AC3100 routers.

Hi Merlin,
Strangely, I'm getting a rejection of upgrade firmware on my 88U.
I was testing stock Asus fw yesterday and now it's refusing to allow flashing your fw...

I just flashed my 68U and no problem at all.. It also had stock Asus.

I've done this many times without issues but for now I keep getting the error message on the 88U......

Dirty update, all is well.

Thank's RMerlin ;)
Especially for the "Fixed miniupnpd refusing to work if WAN IP was a private IP (was only partly fixed in the past)" I am afraid that is what awaits me with my ISP if I want full speed (modem only with 8 channels, HG for 24 is mandatory), and of course no bridge-mode just DMZ... :(

88U. AX or AC? Make sure you have downloaded the correct FW for your device.

upgraded rt-ax88u (router) and rt-ax58u (aimesh node) both from 384.16 beta 3. Now i'm seeing that my wifi is restarting multiple times

Code:
Apr  5 16:12:20 rc_service: cfg_server 1281:notify_rc restart_wireless
Apr  5 16:12:20 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart wireless)
Apr  5 16:13:06 rc_service: cfg_server 1281:notify_rc restart_wireless
Apr  5 16:13:06 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart wireless)
Apr  5 16:14:46 rc_service: cfg_server 1281:notify_rc restart_wireless
Apr  5 16:14:46 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart wireless)
Apr  5 16:14:50 rc_service: cfg_server 1281:notify_rc restart_wireless
Apr  5 16:14:50 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart wireless)

88U. AX or AC? Make sure you have downloaded the correct FW for your device.
AC88U and checked correct version

5992ed1d8cc43b62d8681bc5ef0c4b49.jpg

Last edited:
Curious that it allowed me to update my AC68U in mesh mode without issue
be6298eb5ae8292f32a9815db3eced3c.jpg

@pablo11 do you have any USB devices plugged in? Safely remove them via the GUI and try flashing again (no need to remove them physically).

Otherwise, physically remove all USB devices and reboot the router, wait for 5 to 10 minutes for it to settle down and flash then.

@pablo11 do you have any USB devices plugged in? Safely remove them via the GUI and try flashing again (no need to remove them physically).

Otherwise, physically remove all USB devices and reboot the router, wait for 5 to 10 minutes for it to settle down and flash then.
No USB.
I can force it but I think it's better to see if anyone else has this issue.
Might just be a signature issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!