What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 (and 384.13_6) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You got fiber right to the ONT. Or you still using coax to the modem ?? True fiber connection will have no coax cable. As stated it don't matter if it works it works. :)

You are making a ton of assumptions without knowing anything about the ISP been used. And you are talking to someone that does IT for a living. I have direct Fiber to my unit which is FTTH. This isn't FTTN there is no coax cable coming into my unit.

You will never see someone using a FTTN connection that has coax coming into their unit that has 750mbps uploads. At least not with current Coax technology.

You will also never see 1ms times on a FTTN / Coax connections.

Last edited:
It's kind of off topic but infrastructure (talking strictly as per the context of the discussion here because if you use 10Mbps NICs you'll obviously won't get 100Mbps out of it) has nothing to do with your speeds, it's all set directly on the switch level in your ISP’s NOC. You can have 100Mbps both up or down or you can have 10Mbps up and 100Mbps down or 10Mbps down 100Mbps up, it all depends on how your ISP setup the profile for your link.

I noticed several people in here flashing this new version merlin to their 68u. Is it still recommended to keep Asus stock firmware on 68u when using it as a mesh node?
I've been on stock asus with my 68u for several months while using merlin on my main 86u router. Any benefit to putting both on newest merlin version? I need to flash it to my 86u anyway?

2nd question. I only ask this cause others in here have the newer ax58u. I'm thinking about retiring my 68u mesh node for an AX58u or an AX3000 (although I have no wifi 6 devices) any issues with the AX58U? should I upgrade & if so which should I use as my main node next to my gaming pc the AX58U or keep the AC86U in that location?

Last edited:
I only see possible issues if the main router and the AiMesh node are on different firmware. Not only may wireless drivers be different, but so may be different variables that are passed from the main and node(s) routers too.

With a few months' experiences on 2x RT-AC86U routers used in AiMesh mode, both being on RMerlin firmware from day one, I would suggest both on RMerlin for the best stability and reliability (which is what the customers set up is demonstrating for a while now).

That's part of Trend Micro engine.

Yeah but from your post you were only referring to AiProtection. Some people (like myself) have AiProtection disabled, but Adaptive QoS enabled.

The connection is 1000/750 GPON fiber not Cable.

Its rare to find a cable connection offering more than 50mbps on the upload the bandwidth just isn't there until they release docsis 3.1 on the upload side and that will improve the speeds but still not give you full symmetrical on cable. You have to wait for Full Duplex cable for that which is many years away still.

Yeah I asked the question about your connection because many people in Canada have "Bell Fibe" which can be assymetrical VDSL2 (or something like that) and they think it's fiber :)

Since you have actual GPON fiber I am guessing you live in a condo building in the downtown of a major metro?

Hello, is there any setting or firmware version i need to setup on the router to use the asus router app on android? When i try to login on the app it says "failed". Login via android chrome browser works fine. I am currently using an AX88U router on merlin 384.16 (also tried on version 15,14,and 13 and doesnt work either). I used to have a AC86U on merlin firmware and was fine with the android app. Thank you in advance.

@RMerlin
I am having trouble getting QOS Bandwidth Limiter to work. I turn on the service, choose a device, limit to 0.1 download / 0.1 upload and apply the settings. After that finishes, I test the device using (fast.com) and get speeds in excess of 200mbps. I tried clearing all the settings and retrying, no success.

Device RT-AC68U v384.16

Last edited:
Yeah I asked the question about your connection because many people in Canada have "Bell Fibe" which can be assymetrical VDSL2 (or something like that) and they think it's fiber :)

Since you have actual GPON fiber I am guessing you live in a condo building in the downtown of a major metro?

I live in downtown Toronto so you are correct on that :)

And ya bell's marketing is confusing for none technical people. So you have people on DSL connections that think they are on actual fiber.

You are making a ton of assumptions without knowing anything about the ISP been used. And you are talking to someone that does IT for a living. I have direct Fiber to my unit which is FTTH. This isn't FTTN there is no coax cable coming into my unit.

You will never see someone using a FTTN connection that has coax coming into their unit that has 750mbps uploads. At least not with current Coax technology.

You will also never 1ms times on a FTTN / Coax connections.

Right on @Makaveli you know your stuff. My cable company DOCSIS 3.0 latency is 17 ms. I have 24 download channels but only 4 upload channels (my cable modem is a 24x8 but the cable company only provisions 4 upload channels). So very asymmetrical. It is pretty OK but absolutely fiber has way less latency and typically is provisioned symmetrically or close to it.

Also something I don't use since I'm on a 1Gbps fiber connection.

I'm on a 250mb down/6mbs up cable connection. I'm not a gamer, but do a lot of everyday surfing and and Netflix/YouTube watching. Would you enable QOS on such a connection?

Thanks,
Anton

I would not enable QOS. Unless you have 100 users, I wouldn't bother.

@RMerlin I've noticed since the update that Primary WAN shows as disconnected in WebGUI (but it's up and working just perfect).
It was a dirt update from previous one, and powercycled it but nothing.

-Also on "Security Assessment" it says UPnP is enabled, but on WAN is set as disabled.

-Finally AMTM is unable to check for script updates*

*Could be related to the "Disconnected" on WAN and
Code:
Apr  9 20:35:49 miniupnpd[29255]: ioctl(s, SIOCGIFADDR, ...): Cannot assign requested address
Apr  9 20:35:49 miniupnpd[29255]: ioctl(s, SIOCGIFADDR, ...): Cannot assign requested address
Apr  9 20:35:49 miniupnpd[29255]: Failed to get IP for interface eth0

RT-AC88U
e860b8c9f7a2f35e9eefc7c3417c34ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would not enable QOS. Unless you have 100 users, I wouldn't bother.
If you have NAS continously uploading data or need to use VPN to work, or need good latency while other devices uses your network (gaming, etc), you'll find it VERY useful,

If you have NAS continously uploading data or need to use VPN to work, or need good latency while other devices uses your network (gaming, etc), you'll find it VERY useful,

thank you, yes, I use all of those services and generally have 30+ devices connected and run a few terabytes a month, so QOS is definitely needed but can't seem to get bandwidth limiter to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!