What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 (and 384.13_6) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Merlin!!

Question for anyone who may know - is it still a good idea to have the 2.4 and 5 networks SSIDs/names be different? Or is that an old-school thing that’s not needed anymore? My router: AC-3100

Thank you Merlin!!

Question for anyone who may know - is it still a good idea to have the 2.4 and 5 networks SSIDs/names be different? Or is that an old-school thing that’s not needed anymore? My router: AC-3100
I would say it's not needed anymore unless you have some very old (and incompatible) devices, but you need different SSIDs for two (or more) routers if they are not in an aimesh relationship.

Last edited:
And for those better use a 2.4 guest-wifi with maybe special settings only for this older clients.

Last edited:
Once you set QoS check in game online to see results, don't check on dslreports, if you are in UK check fast.com at least you will be connected to local servers.

I've run tests using fast.com, results as follows (from the same device, wired connection, no other meaningful network activity). Same behaviour as per dslreports, whereby with Adaptive the latency goes through the roof:

DL UL Unloaded Loaded Max Limit Value
Stock with no QOS 39 10 16 18
Traditional QoS (fq_codel 125%/125%) 37 9.3 16 17 50/16.25
Adaptive QoS (fq_codel 125%/125%) 36 11 16 174 50/16.25
Adaptive QoS (fq_codel 100%/100%) 41 11 16 174 40/13
Adaptive QoS (fq_codel 95%/95%) 40 11 16 177 38/12.35

Thank you Merlin!!

I use one SSID now for 29 clients in the house, with two older legacy 2.4GHz devices (Epson printers) + five 2.4GHz Roost temp/water/humidity monitors. I did need to tweak settings on the Smart Connect panels to make them operational. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...e-tuning-for-epson-837-printer-scanner.62571/

How can you test to see if my router is toast? After updating and doing a fresh reset, my AC88U is losing wifi connections and the guest network just stops working after a few minutes. It worked great up until I hard reset. Even downgrading to version .14 and .15, the guest network no longer works. I tried resetting different ways and only setting up only a wifi name and password. I am using smart connect. Is there a detailed log I can send someone? Thanks.

Don't use smart connect. :)

The link(s) below may help, as will using the defaults suggested in the M&M Config that has worked reliably since the beginning of time (at least as a start). :)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88-packet-loss.62891/#post-563326

https://www.snbforums.com/members/l-ld.24423/#info

I assume 20457 will be in in next release ? Or is it already in this new release ?

There are some interesting changes

- Improved connection stability.
- Optimized CPU utilization.

- Fixed firmware upgrade bugs.
The changelog is linked in post #1. ;)

Fogot about that, my bad.

I assume in next merlin release this new updates from official firmware will be implemented.
It depends on if those changes are in the GPL (source code) that RMerlin uses to compile his firmware. As he has stated many times, it take weeks to months for GPL releases.

What router model?
I have an RT-AC3100.

So, I successfully added my static DHCP entries now. I think the only issue is that sorting by Client Name has that JavaScript error.

The entries are showing up now in the dropdown. I'm thinking the reason they weren't showing up is due to some problem with one or more of the client names as I've updated/changed them. I like how the dropdown shows the online devices and has a link to show the offline devices right there in the dropdown.

Question for anyone who may know - is it still a good idea to have the 2.4 and 5 networks SSIDs/names be different?

A matter of personal preference. Personally I do, for the following reasons:

1) I want to ensure that my "fast" devices stay on the 5 GHz band no matter what, with only slower devices (currently just my Roomba) on the 2.4 GHz band
2) I don't trust every device manufacturers to make the right decision in choosing which band to connect to

I like how the dropdown shows the online devices and has a link to show the offline devices right there in the dropdown.

It's all Asus's code.

I will be closing this thread in the coming days. If you have a general question, I recommend creating a separate thread.

Just an FYI for those using Safari and getting an issue on the AIprotection or the Network Map pages where a translucent Trend Micro User Agreement pop up blocks the screen without any agree/disagree buttons. Just use a different web browser and the user agreement will show correctly. When going back to Safari, those pages can be used.

Updated from version 384.6 with diversion on an RT-AC68P. Unplugged USB drive, updated, rebooted, then plugged USB back in. Everything appears to be working fine except for the issue mentioned above.

Merlin-Thanks for the hard work as this has kept me from throwing out the router these past couple of years!

Don't use smart connect. :)

The link(s) below may help, as will using the defaults suggested in the M&M Config that has worked reliably since the beginning of time (at least as a start). :)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88-packet-loss.62891/#post-563326

https://www.snbforums.com/members/l-ld.24423/#info

I bought another AC88U, once I only set up my main wireless network and then a guest network the problem started again. It's not isolated to my one router but seems to be a problem with the firmware(Asus in general, no fault to Merlin). Seems releases .14-.16 all have the same problem when using Smart Connect and a guest network. I downgraded all the way to .13 and the problem went away. Even the Asus builds exhibited the problem. I will be returning the second AC88U router since its not an isolated issue to my one router. IS there a way I can log/debug the issue so I can report it to Asus?

What can cause this?

Asus left debugging log enabled been talked about for awhile now. Nothing to sweat over ignore it.

So does anyone know how to permanently disable debug logging for these wireless events? A tsunami of WLCEVENTD events from the 86U router are clogging up my Syslog Watcher, making the router logs pretty much useless and unreadable, because there are hundreds of these wireless events being logged over a 24hr period; every STA disassociation, reassociation, authentication, deauthentication + wifi channel changes, et al are logged. Information overload, it's quite ridiculous, really.

I've run tests using fast.com, results as follows (from the same device, wired connection, no other meaningful network activity). Same behaviour as per dslreports, whereby with Adaptive the latency goes through the roof:

DL UL Unloaded Loaded Max Limit Value
Stock with no QOS 39 10 16 18
Traditional QoS (fq_codel 125%/125%) 37 9.3 16 17 50/16.25
Adaptive QoS (fq_codel 125%/125%) 36 11 16 174 50/16.25
Adaptive QoS (fq_codel 100%/100%) 41 11 16 174 40/13
Adaptive QoS (fq_codel 95%/95%) 40 11 16 177 38/12.35
Are you using the fresh jr QoS script with adaptive?

You can also do this via telnet.

1. nvram set log_level=5
2. nvram commit
3. reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!