What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.17 (and 384.13_8) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a completely unrelated note, my rstats file stored on my USB stick got corrupted when I powered my router off so I lost several years worth of data. Is there any reason why rstats can’t be modified to backup the existing rstats file first before overwriting it? That would have allowed me to recover the data instead of losing it all.

@Morac I learned the hard way as well. I lost a weeks data when my USB key unmounted one time. I changed the location of where the rstat file is stored to the /jffs/ partition.

I also make a copy of the rstat each day and store on the USB key via a cron script at 0300 each day. I backup the file unzipped so I can import the contents into an MS Excel file every so often. Note also that the Rstat file keeps only the last 61 days and 24 months of data.

For good measure, I also backup the USB key and the jffs partition nightly to my NAS (keeping the last 31 days backup).

GUI Interface locked up 3 times since installing 384.17 beta + release, using firefox when viewing client list from the Network Map. I'm not positive, but I think that's the only place it has locked up. I know it has twice, can't remember for sure about the third. I close firefox and I can't log back in until I power off/ on. It may not be related, but seems suspicious. Don't think it has happened before this release.

RT-AC86U w/ 384.17, RT-AC68U Aimesh node w/ same, Diversion, UiDivstats, Skynet, AiProtection, Scribe, UiScribe, Conmon, SpdMerlin, ScMerlin, Nsrum, NtpMerlin, OpenVPN selective clients
As @Butterfly Bones suggested enable SSH and restart the GUI. Our RT-AC86U has done this a few times on 384.13. I think it's one of this router's 'quirks'.

I connect now my PC to LAN 1 and now it's showing that it is connected at 1Gbps. Only LAN 1 and LAN 2(DiskStation that was unplugged for few days because of HDD change) are now occupied, others ports are empty. Could it be that I need to connect it in order or something ?

Anyone have issue like this ?
Probably it comes from your PC (drivers, ARP, DNS cache..?) and not from the router side...

Because LAN speeds (100 mbps) are fast enough to stream 4K

As someone who owns two Bravias the ethernet ports should be avoided, speed issues aside. If you read the Sony forums you'll find all sorts of post where the devices start to flood routers and take them offline. It sounds like this is the case for you and you mentioned seem a lot of requests in the logs.

FWIW, I can stream 4k/HDR files from my plex server, amazon prime and netflix just fine using the TVs wifi. There is plenty of bandwidth headroom.

I got lucky then. I don't know if @RMerlin has control over httpd service.
https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/changelog-382
I found 13 references to httpd there. Below are two that affect this. I have a cron to restart httpd every 8 hours as a preventive measure.

Under 384.9 (2-Feb-2019)
Code:
- FIXED: httpd crashes on RT-AC86U (themiron)
Under 384.7_2 (21-Oct-2018)
Code:
  - FIXED: Potential buffer overrun in httpd

Do you have SSH access to the rouiter? Open and SSH terminal and enter this, then hit Enter.
Code:
service restart_httpd
That will restart the router GUI and you should be able to log in without rebooting the router.

I will try that next time, I didn't know what to do but power cycle, and I don't like to do that.
thanks a bunch,
jts

Probably it comes from your PC (drivers, ARP, DNS cache..?) and not from the router side...

I will monitor now. For now everything is working OK since I reconnect cable from LAN 8 to LAN 1. If same thing happen again on this port then I really don't know. If it's something coming from router or my PC and how to eliminate the problem.

I will monitor now. For now everything is working OK since I reconnect cable from LAN 8 to LAN 1. If same thing happen again on this port then I really don't know. If it's something coming from router or my PC and how to eliminate the problem.
AC88U I take it? Mine never showed the status of ports 5-8. I guess as ports 5-8 are on a Realtek switch internally the status can't be got hold of easily.

Okay just bought my new AX88U and loaded .17 firmware. I have two questions that i can not find any definitive answers to in my searching...

Q1 - Is there or are there any issues with the 'ethernet ports' monitor? No matter which of the first 3 ports I use to plug in my client it always shows port 1 - 100 Mbps and ports 2 and 3 unplugged. While my client shows 1.0 Gbps and connected regardless of what port I am plugged into.

Q2 - Below are my Internet Connection settings. If I dont set 'Validate DNCSSEC replies' to NO I get random not found in DNS errors. Can some help me optimize and get a working set of options here?

upload_2020-5-3_17-17-12.png

Dirty upgrade from 384.15 on my ax88u as main, and ac86u as mesh nodes. Been running for almost 36 hours with no issues.

@MoonPie2000 after flashing the RMerlin firmware, did you do a full reset/Initialize all settings, including formatting the JFFS partition too? What firmware was flashed on the new 'AX88U you bought? The differences between what it sold with and what you flashed could be the cause of the issues you're seeing. :)

Hello.

The only issue i have, since few times, is small deconnexions, that i don't have with the material which is connected directly to my box. Only the router is deconnecting few seconds the materials connected on it.

Thanks for this great work done on this great firmware.

Hi everybody.

Just retired my RT-N66U after 7 years faithful service running Merlins firmware, now using RT-AX56U flashed with 384.17. Did a full reset and initialise including formatting the JFFS partition and followed the very helpful guides to apply setup including installing FreshJR QoS script.

What I've noticed is that when using any form of QoS I never seem to get any stats showing on the Traffic classification screen, I see the classes for upload/download but all values show as zero for Total, Rate and Packet rate and no pie graph is drawn. There are tracked connections showing further down the screen though which do reflect active connections, sometimes I have seen a count for the tracked connections but currently it's not showing a number. Have done numerous reboots and power off restarts but can't seem to change this behaviour.

Happy to accept this is some user error on my part but could do with a prod in the right direction to try and resolve this, thanks for reading.

three of these showed up in the AC86U log this morning:

[JFFS2 DBG] (936) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -971​

the 86U is running Asuswrt-Merlin v384.17 in WAP mode, upgraded from Asus stock firmware.

any ideas?

PS - as others have been reporting, the web GUI is unstable also, it freezes up from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Fulch58 what are your ISP connection speeds? Any plans to upgrade them in the near future?

You may need to turn off HW acceleration to get the stats to show. But this will also limit your maximum routing speeds too.

Btw, keep that RT-N66U handy. Install @john9527's latest firmware on it (an excellent fork of RMerlins firmware for older routers) and use it in Media Bridge mode for any wired devices that don't have a built-in card, or, don't have the throughput that the 'N66U can offer (up to 450Mbps when connected to another 3x3:3 or 4x4:4 router).

@Fulch58 what are your ISP connection speeds? Any plans to upgrade them in the near future?

D/L 30Mbps
U/L 4.5Mbps and no upgrade planned in the near future due to lack of choice in my location.

With Adaptive QoS selected Sysinfo shows HW acceleration Runner: Disabled (QoS) - Flow Cache: Enabled
With Traditional QoS selected Sysinfo shows HW acceleration Runner: Disabled (QoS) - Flow Cache: Disabled (QoS)

Same result in either mode, no data displayed in any class. Is there a method to totally turn off HW acceleration or is it automatically managed?

Thanks for info on the RT-N66U, I was not aware of the alternative firmware and may well make use of it.

@Fulch58 - Same here, Adaptive QoS in use - AX56U @ 384.17.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!