What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.17 (and 384.13_8) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean by “another source port”?

By the way, I’ll mention that the TV is not connected directly to the router. It is connected to a multi port switch, which is then bridged to the router over a MOCA connection. From the TV’s perspective though it would think it’s connected to the router.

A PC is connected to that same switch.

One thing I have noticed with the TV is that it frequently makes DHCP requests. It always has. I don’t know what would happen if the router didn’t respond or responded “oddly”. That’s one of the reasons I set up a static DHCP as once I saw the router show 2 different IP addresses for the TV (wifi is disabled).
I was trying to say is use another port from the switch (try swapping the ports used by the TV and your PC).

As a last resort, you can always go back to the 384.16 (temporarily say for a 1 or 2 weeks) and see if your issue returns.

Last edited:
In Traffic Monitor, I still cant change KB/s to Mbps or to MB/s. Same issue in firmware .15 and .16. Router AC68U, firmware 384.17.

Ive mentioned this issue in previous firmware posts.

This can be changed in Fork firmwares.

In Traffic Monitor, I still cant change KB/s to Mbps or to MB/s. Same issue in firmware .15 and .16. Router AC68U, firmware 384.17.

Ive mentioned this issue in previous firmware posts.

This can be changed in Fork firmwares.
Numerous post about that. Have a read...

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r..._8-are-now-available.63636/page-5#post-576375
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...6-are-now-available.63120/page-18#post-570274
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...-13_5-are-available.62699/page-12#post-562143

Reactions: a5m
My Sony Android TV is reporting it’s offline again. It’s showing “Local access: Failed”. When I run a diagnostic test it’s saying “the router function of your router may be be turned off. Turn it on and try again”. It’s only been a few hours since I powered everything off and on again.

I have a RT-AC88U. Any ideas?

So it happened again after about 2 to 3 hours, this time while I was actually streaming a movie from the FandangoNow app on the TV. I suddenly saw the network disconnected message popup. I checked the network status and it still showed an IP address, but said it was not connected.

I decided to try switching to a static IP address since the router is set to a static DHCP anyway. While setting that up I noticed the default DNSes were 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I changed those to the router’s IP address. The moment I finished the TV showed as connected and the network was back up.

As such this seems DNS related, though I’ll have to see if this fixed the issue.

Does the router block DNS requests to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or something? Not that the TV should be using that, but the TV makes a ridiculous number of DHCP refreshes. Sometimes as many as once a minute. I’m wondering if it doesn’t get a response if it reverts to those default DNS servers?

On a completely unrelated note, my rstats file stored on my USB stick got corrupted when I powered my router off so I lost several years worth of data. Is there any reason why rstats can’t be modified to backup the existing rstats file first before overwriting it? That would have allowed me to recover the data instead of losing it all.

And the Ethernet is down again, while streaming and now with a manual IP address set. Switched it back to DHCP and it started working again.

I have no idea what’s wrong, but something is triggering the TV to think the router is no longer routing.

Last edited:
Do you force DNS in DNSFilter? Set to Router? Your Android TV may want it's 8.8.8.8 back.

Nope. DNSFilter is off.

What’s odd is that the TV stops responding to pings when this happens. It basically appears to just drop the IP address and won’t refresh it anymore unless I take an action. Again I don’t know why.

Unrelated, after resetting the traffic analyzer (rstats), the Daily traffic view is populating, but the Monthly says “No data in table”. Any idea why?

I see you had similar issues with this TV on multiple Merlin releases. Sure it's Merlin and not TV itself related?

Possible, the last time I saw it was on 384.9. At that time I went back to 384.8_2 which resolved the issue. I then upgraded to 384.10 and have upgraded to every version that came out since then. I didn’t see the issue again until two days after I installed 384.17, then again 2 days later. Since powering cycling the router today, I’ve seen it 4 times in the last 6 hours.

I still have that issue under Ethernet Ports section is showing that LAN 8 is unplugged, and I'm connected with my PC and normally using interenet and all other stuff through that port.
I tried to unplug cable from PC and plug it back again, same, reboot router still same. I have static IP set on my PC don't know if that has to do anything with it. Only my WAN port is showing that it is connected at 1Gpbs

@RMerlin Tiny issue whenever i save any type of settings i have noticed it turns off the vpn service when its active

Possible, the last time I saw it was on 384.9. At that time I went back to 384.8_2 which resolved the issue. I then upgraded to 384.10 and have upgraded to every version that came out since then. I didn’t see the issue again until two days after I installed 384.17, then again 2 days later. Since powering cycling the router today, I’ve seen it 4 times in the last 6 hours.
Might just be the switch, or MoC-a? Why not try a direct LAN cable to router just to be sure...
And maybe, enabling the 2 Multicast options under LAN - IPTV.

Might just be the switch, or MoC-a? Why not try a direct LAN cable to router just to be sure...
And maybe, enabling the 2 Multicast options under LAN - IPTV.

I doubt it’s either the switch or moca since neither of those changed. I don’t use IPTV so I doubt it’s that either.

I’ll mention, I rebooted the router again last night and then reboot my TV twice and so far it hasn’t freaked out yet.

I’m leaning heavily to this being related to DHCP someone (despite it still happening when I switched to manual), since the TV hasn’t made a DHCP request in about 6.5 hours now. Every time it does so it causes it to reconnect to a bunch of servers.

I doubt it’s either the switch or moca since neither of those changed. I don’t use IPTV so I doubt it’s that either.

I’ll mention, I rebooted the router again last night and then reboot my TV twice and so far it hasn’t freaked out yet.

I’m leaning heavily to this being related to DHCP someone (despite it still happening when I switched to manual), since the TV hasn’t made a DHCP request in about 6.5 hours now. Every time it does so it causes it to reconnect to a bunch of servers.
It doesn't hurt to try as debugging, because such configuration can mess with DHCP.
And those 2 settings are not just for IPTV...

Dirty flash to .17 for AX88U (Router) and 2 AC86U's (AP). Working great for 6+days.

Reactions: a5m
@Morac
I doubt it’s either the switch or moca since neither of those changed.
The perception that neither of those things changed doesn't mean that neither of those things changed :). There are here several suggestions - i.e. swapping ports, Ethernet cables, maybe sharing the Internet connection (depending on the OS) on the PC that works well on the same switch.
And since it worked on the previous firmware that may be a suitable solution for now. I know it's frustrating to keep on rebooting the router and/or resetting the TV... so the solution may lie in any of the above. Good luck!

anyone else having issue with the OpenVPN? I have PureVPN and have been getting 30Mbit/s till recently where it dropped to 5Mbits. If i by-pass my AX88U and use their OpenVPN setting it works great on a direct machine... 35-40Mbit+ But as soon as I bring back the host into the OpenVPN on the AX88U, it drops to a crawl. Tested the same on Android phone using their app

Hi, great work as usual. AX88U. Dirty upgrade from 384.15
1 small issue. In traffic Analyzer | Traffic Monitor| Wired Tab. The traffic graph does not seem to reflect what is actually happening on my wired network. (see below). Do you think a factory reset followed by a restore configuration is in order?
Thanks
View attachment 23196
I think maybe if you disable NAT Acceleration under LAN>Switch Control you'll see a more accurate representation of the traffic passing through your wired network. Don't forget to re-enable it after testing.

So it happened again after about 2 to 3 hours, this time while I was actually streaming a movie from the FandangoNow app on the TV. I suddenly saw the network disconnected message popup. I checked the network status and it still showed an IP address, but said it was not connected.

I decided to try switching to a static IP address since the router is set to a static DHCP anyway. While setting that up I noticed the default DNSes were 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I changed those to the router’s IP address. The moment I finished the TV showed as connected and the network was back up.

As such this seems DNS related, though I’ll have to see if this fixed the issue.

Does the router block DNS requests to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or something? Not that the TV should be using that, but the TV makes a ridiculous number of DHCP refreshes. Sometimes as many as once a minute. I’m wondering if it doesn’t get a response if it reverts to those default DNS servers?

On a completely unrelated note, my rstats file stored on my USB stick got corrupted when I powered my router off so I lost several years worth of data. Is there any reason why rstats can’t be modified to backup the existing rstats file first before overwriting it? That would have allowed me to recover the data instead of losing it all.

Why use LAN? TV Lan speed is fked anyways, better to use 5GHZ Wifi

Test it with speed test app on it, you will see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!