What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.17 (and 384.13_8) are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for answering. You are right, but the idea is to share the cases in which they have managed to obtain high speeds on their Wi-Fi networks. The router has so many parameters that it can affect the speed that comparing them with other configurations can solve the problem.

:)

Manually set channel and Channel Bandwith. Turn Off Beam Forming and TX Bursting. There is not much else you need to know or share.

Test each setting, wright it down. Test it again, wright it down. Just like 8th grade science class. Process of elimination.

Other settings, have a specific role, you can google exact information on all of them.

But if your speeds have tanked, then there is a bigger issue. Like corrupted firmware or corrupted setting/s. So you have to redownload the firmware, re-flash, reset, re-flash again. Do it again few more times. Use Firmware recovery tool.

There is no easy answer in some cases.

Reactions: ArC
Suddenly I am getting errors when trying to connect using ssh keys.

Code:
admin@RT-AC68U-DF28:/tmp/home/root# ssh user@192.168.2.XX  -p 23
Sorry, I won't let you use password auth unencrypted.

ssh: Connection to user@192.168.2.XX:23 exited: No auth methods could be used

It was working fine before upgrading to 17. Is there anything changed in 17?

@RMerlin I think there's an issue with one of previous Merlin version fixes from looking at the change log - it basically went to other extreme.
FIXED: Couldn't set http mode to http-only if you previously had WAN access enabled but have since switched to non-router mode.

I have tried going through if statements in Advanced_System_Content.asp, but they are a bit clunky to understand looking for the first time.
Running 384.17 on AX-88U - I used to have WAN access and switched back non-router - tick. What I am observing now is that HTTPS only mode behaves like BOTH mode - keeping both HTTP and HTTPS access to WebGUI. There is no way to have HTTPS access mode only. BTW I also use own certificate that I have uploaded.
Asus.png

@RMerlin
First off, thank you for your great work with the firmware, it's awesome! Now, I have a request for a gui modification. It has happened to me more than once that I have mistankenly clicked "Reboot" instead of "Log out" in the top of the router gui (often when under stress). Maybe it's just me, but would it be possible to separate the buttons to avoid/minimize the risk of these kinds of user errors? Another approach could be to see the logout button as the window-closing "X" in MS Windows. and put it to the far right (where language selection is at the moment). I realize that this may break potential "rules" that the Merlin Firmware should be as close to the original firmware in how it looks and works and I fully understand if you don't want to fiddle around to much with the gui. And also, I have no idea how easy/hard it would be to implement. Just a thought though, nothing more...

Kepp up the great work!

Running 384.17 on AX-88U - I used to have WAN access and switched back non-router - tick. What I am observing now is that HTTPS only mode behaves like BOTH mode - keeping both HTTP and HTTPS access to WebGUI. There is no way to have HTTPS access mode only.

This is normal. This is a technical limitation, enforced by Asus when the router model also supports their AiHome service.

@RMerlin
First off, thank you for your great work with the firmware, it's awesome! Now, I have a request for a gui modification. It has happened to me more than once that I have mistankenly clicked "Reboot" instead of "Log out" in the top of the router gui (often when under stress). Maybe it's just me, but would it be possible to separate the buttons to avoid/minimize the risk of these kinds of user errors? Another approach could be to see the logout button as the window-closing "X" in MS Windows. and put it to the far right (where language selection is at the moment). I realize that this may break potential "rules" that the Merlin Firmware should be as close to the original firmware in how it looks and works and I fully understand if you don't want to fiddle around to much with the gui. And also, I have no idea how easy/hard it would be to implement. Just a thought though, nothing more...

Kepp up the great work!

The Reboot button opens up a requester asking you to confirm it - that should be sufficient to avoid mistakes.

This thread will be closed in the coming days, so make sure to use a separate thread if you are discussing something NOT specific to this release.

The Reboot button opens up a requester asking you to confirm it - that should be sufficient to avoid mistakes.
And so does the Logout (just different text) and if you do not read it...
Happened to me too :oops:

Greetings to all !

While I hardly ever write comments on this forum I do read most of the discussions
and appreciate all the hard work that goes into the creation and maintenance
of this alternate firmware.

Thank you very much Merlin. ( and all other contributors )
Your firmware makes my Ac86u a much better router.

In version 384.16, for the first time, I activated the Wireless Scheduler.
After upgrading to 384.17 the scheduler showed ON but the schedule itself
was not kept. Don't know if this is new to 384.17.
Those using the wifi scheduler may want to check if the settings are as
they were before upgrading...

Cannot upgrade from .15 to .17 on the RT-AC2900 (86U). The sha256 is correct. Rebooted without the USB stick before I tried.

Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again.

Last edited:
Cannot upgrade from .15 to .17 on the RT-AC2900 (86U). The sha256 is correct. Rebooted without the USB stick before I tried.

Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again.
You need to free up some memory before flashing. For instance, I had to unmount my flash drive and disable AiProtection before the flash was successful.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

AC3200 here. Don't know if anyone has experienced the same issue with 384.13.8, but on my system, I just upgraded from the last Merlin version (384.13.6), and 13.8 cuts off IPv6 connectivity. Confirmed this by doing several clean reinstalls (back and forth between the two firmwares). I have confirmed multiple times that 13.6 has fully IPv6 whereas 13.8 has none.

If anyone in a prior message has mentioned this, I apologize, but I just don't have time right now to look through 17 pages of messages.

Hi, AC86U here.
Last month I dirty flashed like I usually do a couple of versions after a long while, and I started noticing frequent internet outages on wifi (both 2.4 or 5ghz) on most of my devices, but could not reproduce a pattern.
Initially I thought it was my internet provider unable to cope with the sudden amount of home office (including me), but it was becoming unacceptable, so I considered the possibility that the router was the problem, perhaps due to the updates.
And indeed going back release by release, it works perfectly as before on 384.13.
Is there any known issue of this kind in newer versions?
I would do a clean flash if it is known, otherwise I would stay on the old version (despite missing security patches).

Roku Wireless

• Connects to VPN
  • Connects to Tethered Cellphone connection
  • Connects to network but says no internet connection on regular 5 or 2.4GhZ

Rebooted router and Roku several times
Reset Roku from simple to adv method
Changed WAN DNS to Google one

Nothing works

@wizin does it work without the VPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!