1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7 is now available

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by RMerlin, Oct 7, 2018.

1. skeal

skeal Part of the Furniture

Diversion and Skynet are saved to the usb drive selected. Nothing you do while upgrading should affect that. Just backup your /jffs directory and reset and reconfigure from screenshots.

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Are you using a T-Mobile router? If so that will be the reason.

3. jsbeddow

jsbeddow Occasional Visitor

Or, try running the firmware update without the USB drive plugged in. I have had mixed results with updates when the drive is still connected: sometimes I have gotten away with leaving it plugged in, but not everytime, so safer to have it unplugged.

4. RUGGNATION

RUGGNATION New Around Here

I'm stuck at 384.5 and haven't been able to update from there, but I am on an ex-Tmo router thats been switched to the ac68u. Does the fact that it was originally a tmo router mean it won't work followinghte 384.5 update or something?

5. Tekneek

Tekneek Regular Contributor

6. SamHNB

SamHNB New Around Here

Nope. It is not T-Mobile. Have upgraded smoothly from previous releases, this time it is a problem.

7. SamHNB

SamHNB New Around Here

I will try this tonight and let you know if it works.

8. SamHNB

SamHNB New Around Here

Ok, I am little confused. I know they stored in USB. When I reconfigure after factory reset, I will at some point install entware using the included setup script in Asuswrt-Merlin. The script says that it will overwrite the previous entware installation. At least I don't know a way to restore/reuse the existing install.

Now, for example, the configuration file for Diversion "/jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf" sources another script which is located in /opt/share/diversion/file/post-conf.div. When entware is replaced the /opt will point to a new entware install and will NOT have file /opt/share/diversion/file/post-conf.div.

To my understanding, I will have to additional steps to restore Divesrion and likewise for Skynet. Am I correct?

9. visortgw

visortgw Senior Member

If you are running scripts such as Diversion, Skynet, etc., temporarily disable them (especially Diversion) while upgrading. I have found that it releases enough available RAM to allow the upgrade to proceed smoothly.

10. loveleeyoungae

loveleeyoungae Regular Contributor

The author thelonelycoder might read this thread. But you can also ask in the Diversion thread, he is very active there, I'm sure you'll get the answer.

11. fbreve

fbreve Occasional Visitor

Is there any workaround to the UPnP double NAT problem? Or do I have to go back to an earlier version?

12. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Wait for 384.8. I reverted that change, after discussing it with the miniupnpd author (and being unable to reach an agreement on how this should be implemented).

fbreve and Kingp1n like this.
  13. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Regular Contributor

I'm having the same problem here. I have been successfully dirty-flashing for at least a year. 384.7_2 hung during the flash, I had to hold down the reset button for 30 seconds for it to complete.
    Upon reboot, it wouldn't mount either of my USB devices. Took several reboots and finally manually mounting via SSH. Now only one my wifi networks is available; I have disabled and re-enabled them with no result, but in a Wifi Analyzer app, only one appears stable; the others cut in and out. I will try rebooting again.
    Edit: I unmounted both USB drives and re-flashed 384.7_2. No errors this time, but I still had this unstable wifi, where the 5GHz networks were okay, but the 2.4GHz ones would disappear if you tried to connect to them, only to reappear a moment later (repeat ad-nauseum.) I was ABOUT to come down and do *another* flash when suddenly everything stabilized and it seems to be working okay now. *knock on wood.*

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018 at 11:10 PM
  14. dennis5pia

dennis5pia New Around Here

Updating DDNS server IP externally is a very good feature I was waiting for. Great job Merlin. Unfortunately I have to live with double NAT, since I'm on a PPPOA ADSL2 connection and bridging modem is not an option (I've heard some expensive modem can do the job, but I won't invest on that). And my public ip changes several times a day due to power loss. We have a inverter, but it doesn't seem to be fast enough to prevent modem from stopping the connection.

Unfortunately, the "Check Every" option is not working. It only seems to work if you click on "Apply" or if the Router reboot/power cycle. :(

15. PolarBear

PolarBear Regular Contributor

Would it work to power your modem and router through an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) ?

When your power supply fails, they would continue to keep running, and so would not ask for a new IP address when the power comes on again.

16. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Regular Contributor

^^ This. I have my modem & router on an UPS for just that reason.