What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am trying to upgrade from 384.6 to 384.7_2 using the UI.

When I upload the firmware from Administration > Firmware Upgrade, it hangs on "Please wait, Applying Settings..." and never updates anything.

I have configured the router quite a bit and it is frustrating to do it all over after doing a factory rest. I have Diversion and Skynet with lot custom whitelists.

Can i flash the firmware from SSH using mtd-write2?
Diversion and Skynet are saved to the usb drive selected. Nothing you do while upgrading should affect that. Just backup your /jffs directory and reset and reconfigure from screenshots.

When I upload the firmware from Administration > Firmware Upgrade, it hangs on "Please wait, Applying Settings..." and never updates anything.
Are you using a T-Mobile router? If so that will be the reason.

Or, try running the firmware update without the USB drive plugged in. I have had mixed results with updates when the drive is still connected: sometimes I have gotten away with leaving it plugged in, but not everytime, so safer to have it unplugged.

Are you using a T-Mobile router? If so that will be the reason.
I'm stuck at 384.5 and haven't been able to update from there, but I am on an ex-Tmo router thats been switched to the ac68u. Does the fact that it was originally a tmo router mean it won't work followinghte 384.5 update or something?

Or, try running the firmware update without the USB drive plugged in. I have had mixed results with updates when the drive is still connected: sometimes I have gotten away with leaving it plugged in, but not everytime, so safer to have it unplugged.

I will try this tonight and let you know if it works.

Diversion and Skynet are saved to the usb drive selected. Nothing you do while upgrading should affect that. Just backup your /jffs directory and reset and reconfigure from screenshots.

Ok, I am little confused. I know they stored in USB. When I reconfigure after factory reset, I will at some point install entware using the included setup script in Asuswrt-Merlin. The script says that it will overwrite the previous entware installation. At least I don't know a way to restore/reuse the existing install.

Now, for example, the configuration file for Diversion "/jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf" sources another script which is located in /opt/share/diversion/file/post-conf.div. When entware is replaced the /opt will point to a new entware install and will NOT have file /opt/share/diversion/file/post-conf.div.

To my understanding, I will have to additional steps to restore Divesrion and likewise for Skynet. Am I correct?

Nope. It is not T-Mobile. Have upgraded smoothly from previous releases, this time it is a problem.
If you are running scripts such as Diversion, Skynet, etc., temporarily disable them (especially Diversion) while upgrading. I have found that it releases enough available RAM to allow the upgrade to proceed smoothly.

To my understanding, I will have to additional steps to restore Divesrion and likewise for Skynet. Am I correct?

The author thelonelycoder might read this thread. But you can also ask in the Diversion thread, he is very active there, I'm sure you'll get the answer.

Is there any workaround to the UPnP double NAT problem? Or do I have to go back to an earlier version?

Is there any workaround to the UPnP double NAT problem? Or do I have to go back to an earlier version?

Wait for 384.8. I reverted that change, after discussing it with the miniupnpd author (and being unable to reach an agreement on how this should be implemented).

I have configured the router quite a bit and it is frustrating to do it all over after doing a factory rest. I have Diversion and Skynet with lot custom whitelists.

Can i flash the firmware from SSH using mtd-write2?
I'm having the same problem here. I have been successfully dirty-flashing for at least a year. 384.7_2 hung during the flash, I had to hold down the reset button for 30 seconds for it to complete.
Upon reboot, it wouldn't mount either of my USB devices. Took several reboots and finally manually mounting via SSH. Now only one my wifi networks is available; I have disabled and re-enabled them with no result, but in a Wifi Analyzer app, only one appears stable; the others cut in and out. I will try rebooting again.
Edit: I unmounted both USB drives and re-flashed 384.7_2. No errors this time, but I still had this unstable wifi, where the 5GHz networks were okay, but the 2.4GHz ones would disappear if you tried to connect to them, only to reappear a moment later (repeat ad-nauseum.) I was ABOUT to come down and do *another* flash when suddenly everything stabilized and it seems to be working okay now. *knock on wood.*

Last edited:
Updating DDNS server IP externally is a very good feature I was waiting for. Great job Merlin. Unfortunately I have to live with double NAT, since I'm on a PPPOA ADSL2 connection and bridging modem is not an option (I've heard some expensive modem can do the job, but I won't invest on that). And my public ip changes several times a day due to power loss. We have a inverter, but it doesn't seem to be fast enough to prevent modem from stopping the connection.

Unfortunately, the "Check Every" option is not working. It only seems to work if you click on "Apply" or if the Router reboot/power cycle. :(

my public ip changes several times a day due to power loss. We have a inverter, but it doesn't seem to be fast enough to prevent modem from stopping the connection.

Would it work to power your modem and router through an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) ?

When your power supply fails, they would continue to keep running, and so would not ask for a new IP address when the power comes on again.

^^ This. I have my modem & router on an UPS for just that reason.

Been noticing lately being hammered with dns 5081 requests
AC86U router 384.7_2 firmware from aae-spweb-vx.asuscloud.com found that it is linked to the Asus cloud 2.0 section of the router gui under Sync Server tab, now that I have blacklisted it, Sync Server for it shows failed to enable the sync server appears on the tab, but I have never enabled this at all, so something triggered this cause I never use it and it just started happening in the last few days i have noticed the dns log. Not sure if this could be a huge security risk or not.

Been noticing lately being hammered with dns 5081 requests
AC86U router 384.7_2 firmware from aae-spweb-vx.asuscloud.com found that it is linked to the Asus cloud 2.0 section of the router gui under Sync Server tab, now that I have blacklisted it, Sync Server for it shows failed to enable the sync server appears on the tab, but I have never enabled this at all, so something triggered this cause I never use it and it just started happening in the last few days i have noticed the dns log. Not sure if this could be a huge security risk or not.

After Messing with the router and tried various setting, now I found were the cause, although I has set this to not share when I set up the router, I enabled Withdrawl again and the hammering of dns queries stopped.

So if anyone else noticing this issue, this fixes that.

i'm still struggling with this bug.
i reinstalled merlin 384.7 (losing all settings)
i reformatted my usb3 (so no apps loading)
and i can't fracking solve this problem.
http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Asus/RT-AC3100_-_Asuswrt-Merlin/Guest_Network.jpg
NOTICE DIFFERENCE IN 3RD GUEST FIRMWARE LABEL
https://i.imgur.com/pVsgojm.jpg
i still see alexa bullcrap on my 3rd guest
and every time i make any guest ssid,
i can't later edit it, only enable disable.
wtheck is going on here, anyone? please!!!

must i go back to asus stock to fix this?
search for guest alexa ifttt, there are other posts here from last 2 weeks where this has been solved, but dont want to search for you for the next hour :p

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!