What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Flashed this firmware (384.7) onto my rt-ac68u about a month ago (thanks Merlin), everything's been working fine but as soon as my router hits 20 or more days uptime the second core on the CPU gets stuck at 100%.

Now this has been happening on every Merlin firmware I have used. Sometimes (like today) it's locked me out completely so I can't even access the router via it's gateway address.

I have tried to ssh to it but it doesn't work, it just hangs. I just have the standard stuff running on it (pptp vpn, media share via hdd, ai protection, ai cloud). Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance :)

I just have the standard stuff running on it (pptp vpn, media share via hdd, ai protection, ai cloud). Has anyone had a similar experience?
I wouldn’t be surprised if the media server is getting stuck scanning some of the files on your HDD. Long time ago I used my N66 as a media server (lots of photos and songs) and every so often the router would stop working. Try disabling it for a while and see if it helps. Or check your HDD for corrupt files, or purge any junk on the HDD.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the media server is getting stuck scanning some of the files on your HDD. Long time ago I used my N66 as a media server (lots of photos and songs) and every so often the router would stop working. Try disabling it for a while and see if it helps. Or check your HDD for corrupt files, or purge any junk on the HDD.
Ok I'll give that a go. Thanks

So I'm having the same issue again, of my wifi networks disappearing randomly. I'm going to flash back to 384.6 in hopes that fixes it.
Edit: and very slow responding GUI.

Edit: Actually seems to be bricked. I can't even get it to boot after several 30-30-30 resets. The Internet light comes on briefly, then it switches to the power light, and nothing from there... much less attempting to flash the previous firmware. :(

At least it's Cyber Monday. I pulled an old-butt Cisco-Linksys router out of my basement closet for temporary use.

Last edited:
One question, does QOS applies to clients connected through Ethernet ports too?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Not sure if is related to this firmware version but nothing seems to delete/reset openvpn clients!
Already tried to Restore through the GUI and pressing the reset button in the back but when going to OpenVPN clients, it shows a previous vpn connection I had configured in the past! Pressing "default" also seems to not have any effect other than just deleting the custom config...
Log doesn't show anything.
Am I the only one on this?
Is there an nvram command I can try to run to completely delete this?

Thanks in advance!

You are running a 2+ years old firmware, so hard to remember if there was any bug related to this that long ago. I recommend upgrading first to the latest release.

You are running a 2+ years old firmware, so hard to remember if there was any bug related to this that long ago. I recommend upgrading first to the latest release.
Shame on me, weird but it seems Chrome's cache was messing up somehow! Cleared Chrome's data and the issue disappeared...
Sorry, haven't updated the signature yet, I'm on latest version!

Okay, just this evening I plugged in the RT-AC87U for the first time and installed Merlin 384.7_2.

Everything seems to be going great, except that none of my clients seem to be able to see the Guest network. (I recreated all my old SSIDs so that everything should be able to connect right back how it was with my bricked 3100)... but like I said, the Guest network seems to come and go. The "main" SSID is stable, but that does me no good since I have a lot of "untrusted" devices that I want to run on the Guest network. Any thoughts here? Sometimes the Guest SSID appears, and sometimes a client can connect to it, but only briefly before it's gone again. Dunno.

I recreated all my old SSIDs so that everything should be able to connect right back how it was with my bricked 3100

Did you mean that you used the same SSIDs on the new router, as on the old one ? And left the clients untouched ?

Pehaps there are some very technical settings which are somehow slightly different compared to the old router, and the clients are not handling this very well.

Maybe it would be worth selecting "forget this SSID" on the clients, then reconnecting, to see if this improves things.

Did you mean that you used the same SSIDs on the new router, as on the old one ? And left the clients untouched ?

Pehaps there are some very technical settings which are somehow slightly different compared to the old router, and the clients are not handling this very well.

Maybe it would be worth selecting "forget this SSID" on the clients, then reconnecting, to see if this improves things.
Good thinking. Didn't work though. Further, I noticed it seemed to be all the 2.4GHz networks were offline; I could only see the 5GHz one.
That said, I figured I'd attack the problem tonight after work. Got home and they were on! So... Dunno how to account for that, but I ain't complaining!

Edit: So... strange. When I reboot, again only the 5GHz networks. It takes... well, as long as it takes for me to have dinner (and feed a toddler) for the 2.4GHz networks to come back. Weird. You think I should warranty this thing immediately? Or at least hit up tech support I suppose.

Last edited:
I replaced an RT-AC68P (John's fork) with an RT-AC86U this week. Pretty basic setup with about 24 devices. Not using MESH. Loaded current Asus firmware for a few days and everything was stable. Loaded Merlin's 384.7_2 yesterday and did factory reset. For the most part, very stable. The wireless signal strength in the 86U is much better than the 68P. Only two issues:

1. SOLVED: Time to switch between tabs in UI, or loading network map of all connected devices, is about 5-7 seconds each. Under ASUS firmware it was very quick.
UDATE 11/6/18: Seems to have settled down and switching between tabs in UI is quick now.

2. SOLVED: DHCP - I have 7 manually set IP addresses. Addresses are assigned properly, but the Host Name on the Network Map list, is just the MAC address and not the Host Name I put in in the DHCP table (names are 3-7 letters, not spaces). (I didn't set this up in ASUS stock firmware as I knew I would be rekeying it all in when I installed 384.7_2.).
UPDATE 11/6/18: You change the Host Name in the Network Map Device List.

I haven't found any reference to these issues yet, so apologize if its mentioned somewhere already.

Last edited:
I replaced an RT-AC68P (John's fork) with an RT-AC86U this week. Pretty basic setup with about 24 devices. Not using MESH. Loaded current Asus firmware for a few days and everything was stable. Loaded Merlin's 384.7_2 yesterday and did factory reset. For the most part, very stable. The wireless signal strength in the 86U is much better than the 68P. Only two issues:

1. Time to switch between tabs in UI, or loading network map of all connected devices, is about 5-7 seconds each. Under ASUS firmware it was very quick.

2. DHCP - I have 7 manually set IP addresses. Addresses are assigned properly, but the Host Name on the Network Map list, is just the MAC address and not the Host Name I put in in the DHCP table (names are 3-7 letters, not spaces). (I didn't set this up in ASUS stock firmware as I new I would be rekeying it all in when I installed 384.7_2.).

I haven't found any reference to these issues yet, so apologize if its mentioned somewhere already.

Host names won't show up on Static entries.

device has to be DHCP and manually set the ip from router.

Unless i'm misunderstood what you mean by 7 manually set IP address.

Host names won't show up on Static entries.

device has to be DHCP and manually set the ip from router.

Unless i'm misunderstood what you mean by 7 manually set IP address.
I found a post in 2016 that indicates you change the Host Name in the Network Map Device List.
Thanks all.

Can someone answer these few questions? My concern is privacy related. I love the Asus hardware but hate trend micro and asus collecting data.
Does the merlin software get rid of that information collected? Can I use features within the router such as bandwidth monitor without having to agree to send my info to trend micro? Can I use remote in without agreeing to Asus? If not what firmware takes that away? I just dont want to flash dd-wrt or tomato, I enjoy the stock look. But if I have to I will.

Can someone answer these few questions? My concern is privacy related. I love the Asus hardware but hate trend micro and asus collecting data.
Does the merlin software get rid of that information collected? Can I use features within the router such as bandwidth monitor without having to agree to send my info to trend micro? Can I use remote in without agreeing to Asus? If not what firmware takes that away? I just dont want to flash dd-wrt or tomato, I enjoy the stock look. But if I have to I will.

http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!