1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7 is now available

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by RMerlin, Oct 7, 2018.

1. timenewton

timenewton New Around Here

"This means Asuswrt-Merlin retains full support for NAT acceleration (sometimes referred to as "hardware acceleration"), enhanced NTFS performance (through the proprietary drivers used by Asus from either Paragon or Tuxera), and the Asus exclusive features such as AiCloud or the Trend Micro-powered AiProtection. New feature addition is very low on the list of priorities for this project."

I did see that, but does that indicate that it still requires an agreement to use said features? Or can I used those features without signing my privacy away?

2. AndreiV

AndreiV Very Senior Member

To use the features you have to agree to share the data. If you withdraw consent for sharing the features mentioned are turned off.

tyspeed42 likes this.
  3. timenewton

4. AndreiV

Tin foil hat time. Nothing in your links relates to ASUS routers.

5. timenewton

How does it not relate to Asus routers? Trend Micro is embedded into the Asus router, so if trend micro does something outside of an asus router it still speaks for the safety of the company.

6. AndreiV

You need to understand that TrendMicro is utilised by businesses all over the world .

The privacy policy is clearly stated, you either accept that or you don't, simple choice.

The apps in question were created by 3rd parties and were corrected when the issue arose.

7. timenewton

I know im just trying to be helpful with using some common sense. That if a company that specializes in security can not keep their own information secure, how does that protect the user. Thanks Andrei for chatting.

I do see your point in how the corrected the issue, but also in my mind if im using a VPN to be secure im trying to dodge data collections not enlist in them, otherwise its not worth even using a VPN if they still know what im doing. IE torrents or something related.

8. AndreiV

If you use anything on the net ..... is it secure , ever?

Do you use a :
    search engine?
    smart phone?
    Facebook?
    Instagram?
    WhatsApp?
    Viber?

If you have any of these your privacy left a long time ago.

9. Morac

Morac Senior Member

Personally I’ve disabled ASUS and Trend on my router since I don’t use any of the features that require them. It seems to have made my router more stable as a side effect.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    SMS786 likes this.
  10. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Just don't enable the Trend Micro features.

There's nothing for me to remove there. They are NOT "collecting info". If you enable the Malicious Website blocking, then your router has to send the URLs to Trend Micro's WRS service to determine the validity of the link. It's how the feature works.

AntonK likes this.
  11. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Senior Member

If you're really concerned you can run Skynet and +ban malware plus start blacklisting TM and anyone else you don't trust. :)

12. wheelq

wheelq Regular Contributor

If they dont collect info, why would they mention "Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS/Game boost/Game IPS, Web history" then ?

13. AndreiV

Read Merlin's last reply again.

Basically they are now covering their backsides because of the GDPR requirements. If data is handled by a 3rd party they need to tell you. It does not mean they record anything.

Try using Kaspersky AV , they now have a privacy agreement like War and Peace and you have to agree and confirm many times over , all because much of their product uses cloud technology.

SMS786 likes this.
  14. wheelq

wheelq Regular Contributor

thanks, but his reply didn't state that that's why I was interested. Thanks for the explanation

15. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

It's a typical EULA. They are always far more wide than reality is, for legal purposes. And notice how you can refuse the EULA, and still be able to use your router, only minus anything from Trend Micro.

16. Marc66

Marc66 Regular Contributor

This AV/privacy discussion is off topic. Can it be moved outside of this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk