What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

"This means Asuswrt-Merlin retains full support for NAT acceleration (sometimes referred to as "hardware acceleration"), enhanced NTFS performance (through the proprietary drivers used by Asus from either Paragon or Tuxera), and the Asus exclusive features such as AiCloud or the Trend Micro-powered AiProtection. New feature addition is very low on the list of priorities for this project."

I did see that, but does that indicate that it still requires an agreement to use said features? Or can I used those features without signing my privacy away?

To use the features you have to agree to share the data. If you withdraw consent for sharing the features mentioned are turned off.

Tin foil hat time. Nothing in your links relates to ASUS routers.
How does it not relate to Asus routers? Trend Micro is embedded into the Asus router, so if trend micro does something outside of an asus router it still speaks for the safety of the company.

How does it not relate to Asus routers? Trend Micro is embedded into the Asus router, so if trend micro does something outside of an asus router it still speaks for the safety of the company.

You need to understand that TrendMicro is utilised by businesses all over the world .

The privacy policy is clearly stated, you either accept that or you don't, simple choice.

The apps in question were created by 3rd parties and were corrected when the issue arose.

I know im just trying to be helpful with using some common sense. That if a company that specializes in security can not keep their own information secure, how does that protect the user. Thanks Andrei for chatting.

I do see your point in how the corrected the issue, but also in my mind if im using a VPN to be secure im trying to dodge data collections not enlist in them, otherwise its not worth even using a VPN if they still know what im doing. IE torrents or something related.

I know im just trying to be helpful with using some common sense. That if a company that specializes in security can not keep their own information secure, how does that protect the user. Thanks Andrei for chatting.

If you use anything on the net ..... is it secure , ever?

Do you use a :
search engine?
smart phone?
Facebook?
Instagram?
WhatsApp?
Viber?

If you have any of these your privacy left a long time ago.

Personally I’ve disabled ASUS and Trend on my router since I don’t use any of the features that require them. It seems to have made my router more stable as a side effect.

Last edited:
Can someone answer these few questions? My concern is privacy related. I love the Asus hardware but hate trend micro and asus collecting data.
Does the merlin software get rid of that information collected? Can I use features within the router such as bandwidth monitor without having to agree to send my info to trend micro? Can I use remote in without agreeing to Asus? If not what firmware takes that away? I just dont want to flash dd-wrt or tomato, I enjoy the stock look. But if I have to I will.

Just don't enable the Trend Micro features.

There's nothing for me to remove there. They are NOT "collecting info". If you enable the Malicious Website blocking, then your router has to send the URLs to Trend Micro's WRS service to determine the validity of the link. It's how the feature works.

I do see your point in how the corrected the issue, but also in my mind if im using a VPN to be secure im trying to dodge data collections not enlist in them, otherwise its not worth even using a VPN if they still know what im doing. IE torrents or something related.
If you're really concerned you can run Skynet and +ban malware plus start blacklisting TM and anyone else you don't trust. :)

If they dont collect info, why would they mention "Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS/Game boost/Game IPS, Web history" then ?

If they dont collect info, why would they mention "Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS/Game boost/Game IPS, Web history" then ?

Read Merlin's last reply again.

Basically they are now covering their backsides because of the GDPR requirements. If data is handled by a 3rd party they need to tell you. It does not mean they record anything.

Try using Kaspersky AV , they now have a privacy agreement like War and Peace and you have to agree and confirm many times over , all because much of their product uses cloud technology.

Read Merlin's last reply again.

Basically they are now covering their backsides because of the GDPR requirements. If data is handled by a 3rd party they need to tell you. It does not mean they record anything.

Try using Kaspersky AV , they now have a privacy agreement like War and Peace and you have to agree and confirm many times over , all because much of their product uses cloud technology.
thanks, but his reply didn't state that that's why I was interested. Thanks for the explanation

thanks, but his reply didn't state that that's why I was interested. Thanks for the explanation

It's a typical EULA. They are always far more wide than reality is, for legal purposes. And notice how you can refuse the EULA, and still be able to use your router, only minus anything from Trend Micro.

This AV/privacy discussion is off topic. Can it be moved outside of this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!