What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

this 384.9 is rubbish for the asus rt 88ax for tablets very thing ok untill trend sig update then wifi is slow

I use an RT-AX88U as my primary router and have zero issues. Troubleshoot your configuration instead of instantly blaming the firmware that works perfectly fine for others.

Is it possible to implement for DHCP "dhcp-ignore=tag:!known" then dhcp can only give ip numbers to those found in hosta-dnsmasq. (I know I can put it in dnsmasq-postconf)

Too likely to break previously working network.

i'm afraid to upgrade. last time i did it dirty, it was a mess and i had to do a clean one and start all over again from a factory reset. i have too many fixed lan ip entries and lan qos entries to have to retype them all over again :oops: if anyone has advice on how to do a dirty upgrade please share, like do you first uninstall all the apps, etc. doing the "save router settings" does not work, it always says it's invalid somehow when i try to restore it over the newer firmware.
I wrote a script for backing up files and nvram customizations. Perhaps you can modify and run it for yours.
Change myusbdrive to yours.
Change the backup directory to yours.
Change the list of files.
Change the list of nvram variables.
Make the script executable "chmod 755 mybackup.sh"
Run it "./mybackup.sh"
Code:
# cat mybackup.sh
#!/bin/sh
#
umask 022
myusbdrive="/tmp/mnt/SamsungT5"
mybackupdir=${myusbdrive}/backup
#
for myfile in ${myusbdrive}/entware/etc/stubby/stubby.yml ${myusbdrive}/entware/share/diversion/list/blacklist ${myusbdrive}/entware/share/diversion/list/wc_blacklist ${myusbdrive}/entware/share/diversion/list/whitelist /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf
do
        echo "==============================================================================================="
        ls -la ${myfile}
        cp ${myfile} ${mybackupdir}
        echo "#"
        echo "Copied ${myfile} to ${mybackupdir}"
done
#
for mynvram in custom_clientlist dhcp_staticlist sshd_authkeys
do
        echo "==============================================================================================="
        nvram get ${mynvram}
        nvram get ${mynvram} > ${mybackupdir}/${mynvram}
        echo "#"
        echo "Backed up nvram variable ${mynvram} to ${mybackupdir}/${mynvram}"
done
#
If all goes well, then I can copy the backups to the Samba share directory where I can copy to my Windows laptop.
The syntax to restore an nvram variable is, from the directory of the backup:
Code:
nvram set variable="`cat variablefile`"
nvram commit

I noticed that dcd tainted is occuring more frequently...

Feb 3 11:45:42 kernel: CPU: 1 PID: 30698 Comm: dcd Tainted: P O 4.1.27 #2

It's not crashing the router but printing spamlike lines over and over.

Rt-AC86U 384.9 final

Last edited:
I use an RT-AX88U as my primary router and have zero issues. Troubleshoot your configuration instead of instantly blaming the firmware that works perfectly fine for others.
I do with my cellphone and galaxy tab s2 checked dns setting its ok untill tend sigs get updated then its a slow go i have trouble shoot my configuration happened with alphas was well

I noticed that dcd tainted is occuring more frequently...

Feb 3 11:45:42 kernel: CPU: 1 PID: 30698 Comm: dcd Tainted: P O 4.1.27 #2

It's not crashing the router but printing spamlike lines over and over.

Rt-AC86U 384.9 final
From the changelog....likely related:

• dcd process crashing on RT-AC86U (bug in Trend Micro's code, outside of my control).

for all that have the internet disconnected item, in administration/system there's an option network monitoring (dns query / ping). Select either one of them and then your internet should be connected.
network monitoring.png

just updated my ac5300. It did show internet disconnected, and all scripts did not run on start from jffs. After selecting Network monitoring wan is connected and scripts are executed. Thanks Eric! Looking good so far.

I do with my cellphone and galaxy tab s2 checked dns setting its ok untill tend sigs get updated then its a slow go i have trouble shoot my configuration happened with alphas was well

Trend Micro?

The TrendMicro signatures for AiProtection only get updated @ once a month. I've never seen them more frequent than that.

This firmware has only been out a few hours, how have you seen "updates" affecting anything?

I did a factory reset using Initialize clicked on delete all logs i proection etc put back details etc browsing ok soon as trend sigs update browsing goes slow

Well I can't see how that is even possible.

Merlin doesn't touch anything to do with TrendMicro, the Wifi system has not been changed.

I have no issue with my router and so far I have flashed this latest firmware on 7 different routers for friends / neighbours , none of these have seen any such problem.

So I run a reverse strict dns on my open vpn via pia, to use my local dns server before external, 384.9 update broke the reverse strict setting, anyone know how to fix it without reverting back to 384.2?
Tremendous amount of error logging going on in this update also, other than that working well.

Well I can't see how that is even possible.

Merlin doesn't touch anything to do with TrendMicro, the Wifi system has not been changed.

I have no issue with my router and so far I have flashed this latest firmware on 7 different routers for friends / neighbours , none of these have seen any such problem.
it works ok on my laptop but not on tablet

384.2 and 384.1 did not do this

Last edited:
Router: RT-AC5300

I upgraded to 384.9 from 384.8_2 where none of my wifi connections were showing up in Bandwidth Monitor so I did a Factory default restore (Initialized all the settings...) and now I notice only half of them come up! The internet works fine on all wifi connections but it's just not showing in Bandwidth Monitor now (half of my devices). I tried a cold-reboot on my router many times without any luck!

It will not help. I have the same problem on AC86. Anything you listed does not help. True reset to default, I did not try a lot to tune in a new one. But it was updated from the previous stable firmware of Merlin. So I have exactly the same problem.
Download master is available. Updated from last stable to beta version, then to 384.9
Снимок экрана 2019-02-03 в 23.24.38.png
You can try a clean install, taking into account the previously reported problem with Asus DNS at native forum.

Seems like something is crashing on my AC88U every time I go to the QoS page which causes the firewall to restart. I don’t have QoS on, but that didn’t happen under 384_2. This is what shows up in the log after I go to the QoS page.

Feb 2 23:51:05 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 d32a874
Feb 2 23:51:05 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.18 r3508378
Feb 2 23:51:05 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 192
Feb 2 23:51:05 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Feb 2 23:51:20 rc_service: bwdpi_check 380:notify_rc start_firewall
Feb 2 23:51:20 miniupnpd[946]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Feb 2 23:51:21 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)
Feb 2 23:51:22 miniupnpd[2558]: HTTP listening on port 35131
Feb 2 23:51:22 miniupnpd[2558]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351

For what it's worth, I am getting the same items in my log on my 5300. (went to QoS page - not enabled)

W

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!