What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the video. I decided to update to Merlin.

Unfortunately, the problem with those game clients causing lag to streaming sites came back. All I have done are just flash Merlin Fw and swap to fq-codel with 0 overhead. Nothing else has changed at all.
Does anyone here have some similar problem?

Did you reinstall the script after flashing ? Try reboot the router.

Pppoe overhead is only 8 try lowering bandwidth to 90%
I think its worked again, I am not quite sure lol
I was playing with the setting, tried limit 90% ---> overhead 8 ----- overhead 0 -----> even disable script (yep obviously even worse haha) -----> enable it back -----> lower to 85 -----> get back to 90.... nothing work then I reset router ----> problem still persisted -----> a little while -----> seem to be better ------> I think its worked now not sure T-T

Hello all,

after basically reading this entire thread, trying dd-wrt instead of merlin, I have to write now (which I should ve done way before as this whole journey took me over 20 h).

Goals and current setup/hardware: A or A+ Rating in Bufferbloat and Quality, main purpose: GAMING, only one game which is CS GO on a very high competitive level. Setup: Asus rt-ac88u (current Merlin Version as FW) with the Speedport in Modem only. I installed the script, tried it with standard setup and the gaming editing. The PC has a cat7 Wire which is around 7m to the router. The PC has a Intel i219-V NIC and a Killer E2500 (results are pretty much the same with both)

THE PROBLEM: I have a PPPoE Connections which should be 25mbs down and 5up with the DTAG (deutsche telekom, t online). The max is kind of 23,5mbs down and 4,5mbs up. I tried every combination of advanced QOS there kinda is. I am pretty sure, the best settings for the Speed is 22 down and 4.1 up. The down bufferbloat is always ok, but the up is just always red spiking to over 1000ms and being constantly around 250-300ms. Now to the weird things: First, SFQ gives often better results than fq_codel, as fq_codel. Also, when I do the dslreports test with my macbook air, it gives back A A A results. Never with the PC. Same with my mobile phone.
I also tried to lower the upload speed, doesnt work at all (went even as low as 1 mbs). Weird thing: With DD-WRT the results were much better... however my router had huge problems with the dhcp server (and my pc couldnt connect anymore and some other stuff) and I like the merlin a lot more, so I would love to get the good results with the merlin FW.

So now I am desperately asking for help from the more advanced user/developers. Please tell me, if you need any screenshots, reports to evaluate the problem.

I would really appreciate it.

Love,

L

Hello all,

after basically reading this entire thread, trying dd-wrt instead of merlin, I have to write now (which I should ve done way before as this whole journey took me over 20 h).

Goals and current setup/hardware: A or A+ Rating in Bufferbloat and Quality, main purpose: GAMING, only one game which is CS GO on a very high competitive level. Setup: Asus rt-ac88u (current Merlin Version as FW) with the Speedport in Modem only. I installed the script, tried it with standard setup and the gaming editing. The PC has a cat7 Wire which is around 7m to the router. The PC has a Intel i219-V NIC and a Killer E2500 (results are pretty much the same with both)

THE PROBLEM: I have a PPPoE Connections which should be 25mbs down and 5up with the DTAG (deutsche telekom, t online). The max is kind of 23,5mbs down and 4,5mbs up. I tried every combination of advanced QOS there kinda is. I am pretty sure, the best settings for the Speed is 22 down and 4.1 up. The down bufferbloat is always ok, but the up is just always red spiking to over 1000ms and being constantly around 250-300ms. Now to the weird things: First, SFQ gives often better results than fq_codel, as fq_codel. Also, when I do the dslreports test with my macbook air, it gives back A A A results. Never with the PC. Same with my mobile phone.
I also tried to lower the upload speed, doesnt work at all (went even as low as 1 mbs). Weird thing: With DD-WRT the results were much better... however my router had huge problems with the dhcp server (and my pc couldnt connect anymore and some other stuff) and I like the merlin a lot more, so I would love to get the good results with the merlin FW.

So now I am desperately asking for help from the more advanced user/developers. Please tell me, if you need any screenshots, reports to evaluate the problem.

Love,

L
I get constant A+/A/A+ rating with defaults on 86U/68U routers in AP-mode, all done on my Fritz-Modemrouter 7582. So maybe the better choice for you to get a good modemrouter to solve your issues instead of trying with all those bugs from Asus.
If you could get one only for testing on your line would be the best option I think as they are quite expensive and I cannot tell for sure on your line to work like for me.

Hello all,

Love,

L
DSL or cable

Hello all,

Love,

L
Lower your ul considerably. Im in remote location on 10/2 cell hub. Can achieve 4ish on ul but the ping starts climbing drastically after about 1.2mbs ul. I set it at that and it almost doesnt budge now. Try at 2 maybe and see if theres improvement. If there is, lower more until your satisfied

Last edited:
QOS + VPN Client fix via custom rules.

Tunneled VPN traffic when the router is acting as a VPN client does not appear on the upload/download portions of QOS correctly.

You have to understand the difference between a router acting as a VPN Server or acting as a VPN Client before using this rule.

The router has the ability to act as a VPN Client on behalf of specific LAN devices.

This means that:

1) Local devices connect to the router as normal
2) A portion of these devices (depending on configuration) will have their entire communications forwarded to a private VPN Server **typically paid**
3) The VPN server will fetch/receive data from the destination/website that the local device wanted to communicate with
4) The VPN server will return the data, in encrypted form, to the local device.

This configuration is typically used when you dont want your ISP to snoop on the contents/destination of your traffic.
The router also has the ability to act as a VPN Server

This is the reverse of the above situation:

1) You are on a work/public WiFi network and you dont want your work/public network admin to spy on you.
2) Instead of paying for a private VPN Server, you can have your router host one for you, and tunnel your traffic via your local ISP
3) Your traffic will remain private from whatever network you are connected too.
4) As an added bonus, when connecting to your own hosted VPN, you can access your LAN devices just as if you never left your network.

This configuration is typically used when you want to access LAN devices or maintain privacy on a network away from your own.​

Custom Rules for when Router is acting as a VPN Client
These custom rules fix tunneled traffic from being zero-rated (whitelisted) or have traffic in the wrong section (reversed) when using QOS.

Code:
Download:
iptables -D POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -d 192.168.2.100/32 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000  &> /dev/null
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -d 192.168.2.100/32 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000

"Incoming/download" traffic is being whitelisted/reversed on the download interface since Asus is marking "download" traffic with an "upload" mark.
The rule above switches the "upload" mark back into a "download" mark.
Since the original mark is preserved, download traffic will remain correctly identified by traffic type.

192.168.2.100/32 should be changed to match the iprange of your tunneled devices

Code:
Upload:
iptables -D OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan ! -s 192.168.2.1 -p udp --dport 25000 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up} &> /dev/null
iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan ! -s 192.168.2.1 -p udp --dport 25000 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up}

The upload mark assigned to upload traffic is completely lost after entering the VPN tunnel.
As a result, we have to lump ALL upload vpn traffic into a fixed user defined category.

192.168.2.1 should be changed to the IP of your router

-p udp --dport 25000 should be changed to the protocol and port of your VPN host/provider.

Enjoy!

Custom Rules for when Router is acting as a VPN Server
No solution here :confused:

This might not be possible to fix because download traffic in this configuration is never forwarded to the br0 interface.
Traffic has to transverse the br0 interface to have its download limited via QOS.

You can read this post of mine for a detailed explanation.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/just-a-quick-question-about-qos.47220/

If someone has ideas how to fix this via routing changes, please go right ahead!
That area is beyond my skill level.

So if I ssh into my 86U and run;

Code:
Download:
iptables -D POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -d 192.168.2.100/32 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000  &> /dev/null
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -d 192.168.2.100/32 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000

and (with my router's IP and VPN's protocol and port number) run:

Code:
Upload:
iptables -D OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan ! -s 192.168.2.1 -p udp --dport 25000 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up} &> /dev/null
iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan ! -s 192.168.2.1 -p udp --dport 25000 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up}

This will make QOS work while I've got the VPN Client running? I want to keep Streaming a priority over everything else.

So if I ssh into my 86U and run;

Code:
Download:

and (with my router's IP and VPN's protocol and port number) run:

Code:
Upload:

This will make QOS work while I've got the VPN Client running? I want to keep Streaming a priority over everything else.

Read Page one again - until you get it right

Will do, I'm fairly new to this stuff.

They need to be entered in download and upload custom rule section of the QOS script you are running and change port and ipaddresses to your own

I get constant A+/A/A+ rating with defaults on 86U/68U routers in AP-mode, all done on my Fritz-Modemrouter 7582. So maybe the better choice for you to get a good modemrouter to solve your issues instead of trying with all those bugs from Asus.
If you could get one only for testing on your line would be the best option I think as they are quite expensive and I cannot tell for sure on your line to work like for me.
So you think it s the modem in bridge mode which is causing this mess? I ordered now a DSL ac68u and a ac86u , and will test out, whether it s the modem or not.

DSL or cable
DSL

Lower your ul considerably. Im in remote location on 10/2 cell hub. Can achieve 4ish on ul but the ping starts climbing drastically after about 1.2mbs ul. I set it at that and it almost doesnt budge now. Try at 2 maybe and see if theres improvement. If there is, lower more until your satisfied
I already tried... even down to 1 mbs on the upload. The bufferbloat was a lot worse at 1mbs than on 4mbs

Last edited:
So you think it s the modem in bridge mode which is causing this mess? I ordered now a DSL ac68u and a ac86u , and will test out, whether it s the modem or not.

DSL

I already tried... even down to 1 mbs on the upload. The bufferbloat was a lot worse at 1mbs than on 4mbs

Only the upload

try replacing

Code:
burst ${UpBurst0} cburst ${UpCburst0}

with

Code:
 burst 1600b cburst 1600b

On the 8 lines within the script under "custom_rates" intended for "eth0".

Also is QOS working on your upload portion. Eg are you speeds limited to what you input?

DSL

Hmm that is strange if its worse at 1mbs. There shud be no buffer whatsoever cuz upload is completely controlled and held back by your router. Unless your somehow maxing out the router cpu or some otherway lagging it out i cant imagine how its possible.

Is it possible some devices are connecting directly to your modem bypassing the router? I have a situation like that. My lil brother likes connecting to the modem directly cuz he thinks its better cuz hes the least technical person on this planet lol. So what happens is when he googles or youtubea etc he maxes out the connection full bandwidth lagging us all out. Then he blames my router for it haha. Jus thought id throw that out there incase you have similar situation.

Last edited:
Only the upload

try replacing

Code:
burst ${UpBurst0} cburst ${UpCburst0}

with

Code:
 burst 1600b cburst 1600b

On the 8 lines within the script under "custom_rates" intended for "eth0".

Also is QOS working on your upload portion. Eg are you speeds limited to what you input?

Hey JR,

thanks for the reply. The QOS ist working on the upload as it restricts the upload bandwidth (if it is working CORRECTLY... I dont know and I kinda doubt it) Maaybe some more Info: I have to use VLAN7 Tag on Internet in the IPTV section as my ISP (T-Online) requires it.

I tried replacing it and uploading again, but it didnt change anything. Did I upload it correct? Here s what comes with the debug command:

adaptive QOS: Undf Prio: 2
adaptive QOS: Undf FlowID: 1:17
adaptive QOS: Classes Present: 8
adaptive QOS: Down Band: 22528
adaptive QOS: Up Band : 4198
adaptive QOS: ***********
adaptive QOS: Net = 1:10
adaptive QOS: VOIP = 1:14
adaptive QOS: Gaming = 1:11
adaptive QOS: Others = 1:12
adaptive QOS: Web = 1:15
adaptive QOS: Streaming = 1:13
adaptive QOS: Downloads = 1:16
adaptive QOS: Defaults = 1:17
adaptive QOS: Downrates -- 1126, 3379, 2252, 6758, 4505, 2252, 1126, 1126
adaptive QOS: Downbursts -- 3199b, 4799b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 319 9b
adaptive QOS: DownCbursts -- 27196b, 27196b, 27196b, 27196b, 27196b, 27196b, 271 96b, 27196b
adaptive QOS: Uprates -- 209, 629, 1259, 419, 839, 419, 209, 209
adaptive QOS: Upbursts -- 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 3200b, 3199b, 3200b, 3200b
adaptive QOS: UpCbursts -- 4799b, 4799b, 4799b, 4799b, 4799b, 4799b, 4799b, 4799 b

Furthermore some findings: It is definitly not the modem, as I tried a different one today. I also tried it with a dsl68u , however, without merlin on it as it doenst support it.

I also tried a different network adapter and a wireless connection from this specific PC. THe weird thing is, that with my macbook air I get AAA grades....

So I am still looking for some help : ( If you need any more information please let me know

Last edited:
Hey JR,

thanks for the reply. The QOS ist working on the upload as it restricts the upload bandwidth (if it is working CORRECTLY... I dont know and I kinda doubt it)

I tried replacing it and uploading again, but it didnt change anything. Did I upload it correct? Here s what coimes with the debug command:

adaptive QOS: Undf Prio: 2
adaptive QOS: Undf FlowID: 1:17
adaptive QOS: Classes Present: 8
adaptive QOS: Down Band: 22528
adaptive QOS: Up Band : 4198
adaptive QOS: Net = 1:10
adaptive QOS: VOIP = 1:14
adaptive QOS: Gaming = 1:11
adaptive QOS: Others = 1:12
adaptive QOS: Web = 1:15
adaptive QOS: Streaming = 1:13
adaptive QOS: Downloads = 1:16
adaptive QOS: Defaults = 1:17
adaptive QOS: Downrates -- 1126, 3379, 2252, 6758, 4505, 2252, 1126, 1126
adaptive QOS: Downbursts -- 3199b, 4799b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 319 9b
adaptive QOS: DownCbursts -- 27196b, 27196b, 27196b, 27196b, 27196b, 27196b, 271 96b, 27196b
adaptive QOS: Uprates -- 209, 629, 1259, 419, 839, 419, 209, 209
adaptive QOS: Upbursts -- 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 3199b, 3200b, 3199b, 3200b, 3200b
adaptive QOS: UpCbursts -- 4799b, 4799b, 4799b, 4799b, 4799b, 4799b, 4799b, 4799 b

Furthermore some findings: It is definitly not the modem, as I tried a different one today. I also tried it with a dsl68u , however, without merlin on it as it doenst support it.

I also tried a different network adapter and a wireless connection from this specific PC. THe weird thing is, that with my macbook air I get AAA grades....

So I am still looking for some help : ( If you need any more information please let me know
When you set you UL to 1mbs is it capping at that in speed tests?

When you set you UL to 1mbs is it capping at that in speed tests?
Yes it is. See:
39169459.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!