What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read first post until you figure out how to upload modified version of script.

After uploading you have to restart QOS and wait 5 min before running debug.

I do it like this or? I think I do know how to do it. I dont know why it does not update :(

You will need putty and pscp, as well as the script.

1) In putty (Skip this step if runing RMerlin firmware)
Code:
mkdir /jffs/scripts/

2) In command prompt
Code:
cd C:\putty\
pscp -scp C:\Putty\FreshJR_QOS.sh admin@192.168.1.1:/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS

3) In putty
Code:
dos2unix /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS
sh /jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS -install

4) turn ON qos or restart router as instructed

I think I just did the debug too early:

adaptive QOS: Undf Prio: 2
adaptive QOS: Undf FlowID: 1:12
adaptive QOS: Classes Present: 8
adaptive QOS: Down Band: 20480
adaptive QOS: Up Band : 4096
adaptive QOS: ***********
adaptive QOS: Net = 1:10
adaptive QOS: VOIP = 1:14
adaptive QOS: Gaming = 1:11
adaptive QOS: Others = 1:12
adaptive QOS: Web = 1:15
adaptive QOS: Streaming = 1:13
adaptive QOS: Downloads = 1:16
adaptive QOS: Defaults = 1:17
adaptive QOS: Downrates -- 1024, 3072, 2048, 6144, 4096, 2048, 1024, 1024
adaptive QOS: Downbursts -- 3200b, 4798b, 3198b, 3198b, 3198b, 3198b, 3198b, 3200b
adaptive QOS: DownCbursts -- 25Kb, 25Kb, 25Kb, 25Kb, 25Kb, 25Kb, 25Kb, 25Kb
adaptive QOS: Uprates -- 204, 614, 1228, 409, 819, 409, 204, 204
adaptive QOS: Upbursts -- 1599b, 1599b, 1599b, 1599b, 1599b, 1599b, 1599b, 1599b
adaptive QOS: UpCbursts -- 1599b, 1599b, 1599b, 1599b, 1599b, 1599b, 1599b, 1599b

---

So it has the new rates... still same problem

@lezzi

The lowered bursts took effect. No idea why upload is weird.

Try 0 bytes, but going underneath 1500 usually has poor results.

If the laptop has good results, I have no idea what would be causing issues between your nic and router. Could it be an issue with your pc itself?

Last edited:
GT-AC5300 run firmware stock

after entering the commands with putty and cmd, in the last step I get this message in putty window:

- dos2unix: not found

@lezzi

The lowered bursts took effect. No idea why upload is weird.

Try 0 bytes, but going underneath 1500 usually has poor results.

If the laptop has good results, I have no idea what would be causing issues between your nic and router. Could it be an issue with your pc itself?

Thank you. Im think Im getting rid of the 88u and keep the 86u iunstead. the 86u was working good with your script yesterday, then I treid the 88u again and when I plugged in the 86u today the script was not functioning again (or better the entire QOS) as the bandwidth limits didnt work. Also, when I changed something in the QOS settings, the script begins to loop with this message:
Sep 21 11:01:06 kernel: ERR[ioctl_iqos_op_config:3592] parse qos_conf error!!
Sep 21 11:01:06 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_config() fail!
Sep 21 11:01:06 kernel: ERR[qos_start:3344] QoS is already started!
Sep 21 11:01:06 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_switch(1) fail!

(it comes for a thousand times, but would be too much for this message...)

Also I noticed that a lot of the times this notification comes:
Sep 21 11:00:51 kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full
Sep 21 11:00:52 kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full

Do you know what it means? Do you think I can fix the problems stated above? Otherwise I am slowly done here and switching router brands :(

I am currently using the 'fast' script
##FreshJR_QOS f384 (Fast Method) released 03/19/2018

I read that this is now discontinued as some users had issues. It seems to work fine for me (thanks).
Is this script still fairly 'current' or should I uninstall and replace with the regular version
It seems to me both scripts have around the same functionality for now

##FreshJR_QOS f384 (Fast Method) released 03/19/2018

I read that this is now discontinued as some users had issues. It seems to work fine for me (thanks).
Is this script still fairly 'current' or should I uninstall and replace with the regular version
It seems to me both scripts have around the same functionality for now
Someone here reported there was a glitch on the fast script...let me see if i can find it.

There have been a couple bug fixes that affected users with non typical internet connections. Gaming rules have been improved if you happen to use them. A parsing issue with the appdb command was fixed where it would fail if a space was present. Nothing too critical.

(it comes for a thousand times, but would be too much for this message...)

That message looping is not normal. Restart the router see if it helps.

If it doesn’t, then uninstall the script. A non valid user modification must have been made.

- dos2unix: not found

No issues if you are running the script as download. If you are wanting to make modifation, I will have to add a note how to manually covert windows new line charters into Linux new line characters. Dos2unix simply performed that conversion.

I will update that step when I get some time

Last edited:
I recently upgraded the firmware on my AiMesh router and nodes, and haven't yet gotten around to re-installing the script. I have discovered in the intervening week that my RT-AC86U router, which was regularly going offline, is not going offline any more. I THEN discovered that there is a known issue with scheduled reboots taking this model of router (and I think the RT-AC68U) offline every couple of days.

Using either scheduled wireless, or scheduled reboot, results in intermittent power downs for me. IMHO, scheduling is ‘broken’, & I no longer bother using it/them.

So, @FreshJR, my question: can I disable the scheduled reboot on this script? If so, how? I would really like to get the script up and running again, but I'm pretty sure the scheduled reboot was periodically shutting down my router. ☹️

3) I recommend the following QOS traffic priority list.
VoIP
Gaming
Others
Web Surfing
Video and Audio Streaming
File Transfers

Also, this has been answered by others, on a different thread, but I just want to confirm: is this the recommended order even if nobody in my house EVER does any kind of gaming? My impulse is to move "Gaming" to the bottom of the list, and I don't quite understand why I should keep it high...?

Script should relaunch after reboot if you leave a usb device connected to the router. Can you explain the reboot script issue a little more? My script isn’t rebooting the router if that’s what you are asking.

If no one does gaming it still doesn’t hurt to keep it high. The category will be unused and if someone happens to launch a rare game they will have priority.

Okay, I will keep it high. Visitors will be happy!

The reboot issue: many users with RT-AC86U report that scheduled reboots don't work consistently. Every couple-few days the router powers off instead of rebooting, and only a manual power cycle brings the router back online. Essentially you wake up to no internet (assuming that you schedule the reboot in the early morning or middle of the night) and have to unplug, replug the router (possibly the power button will work too).

I was experiencing this morning blackout every three or four days and not knowing why. Since installing the new firmware it hasn't happened. I assumed that you had programmed a daily reboot into the script somehow, but I now see that I was mis-reading your instructions-- I thought the 3:30 "daily check" for stock firmware users was a "daily reboot." Sorry!!

The reboot issue: many users with RT-AC86U report that scheduled reboots don't work consistently. Every couple-few days the router powers off instead of rebooting, and only a manual power cycle brings the router back online. Essentially you wake up to no internet (assuming that you schedule the reboot in the early morning or middle of the night) and have to unplug, replug the router (possibly the power button will work too).

I was experiencing this morning blackout every three or four days and not knowing why. Since installing the new firmware it hasn't happened. I assumed that you had programmed a daily reboot into the script somehow, but I now see that I was mis-reading your instructions-- I thought the 3:30 "daily check" for stock firmware users was a "daily reboot." Sorry!!
You are correct, had this issue too sometimes in the past after a manual reboot!
But did not see it since maybe 2 months with newer firmwares, hope they fixed it now.

It is exactly the same to unplug (on device side, not power plug from wall) or use power button on the unit.

Only the upload

try replacing

Code:
burst ${UpBurst0} cburst ${UpCburst0} [/
with

[code] burst 1600b cburst 1600b

On the 8 lines within the script under "custom_rates" intended for "eth0".

Also is QOS working on your upload portion. Eg are you speeds limited to what you input?
Only the upload

try replacing

Code:
burst ${UpBurst0} cburst ${UpCburst0}

with

Code:
 burst 1600b cburst 1600b

On the 8 lines within the script under "custom_rates" intended for "eth0".

Also is QOS working on your upload portion. Eg are you speeds limited to what you input?
Im curious is there a formula for calculating the burst of a particular connection type.

Im curious is there a formula for calculating the burst of a particular connection type.

Burst should be a function of your internet speed.

Asus uses a formula for burst but it wasn’t working for my connection.

Upload was fine but my download had a bufferbloat spike at the beggining of network saturation.

I kept bursts high for net control, voip, and gaming. Medium burst for web. Minimum burst (1600b) for streaming, file downloads, defaults.

If you get bufferbloat at BEGGINING of network saturation, you can try lowering bursts. Do not go under 1500b or whatever your MTU value your internet uses. You can use 1600b to be safe.

Burst should be a function of your internet speed.

Asus uses a formula for burst but it wasn’t working for my connection.

Upload was fine but my download had a bufferbloat spike at the beggining of network saturation.

I kept bursts high for net control, voip, and gaming. Medium burst for web. Minimum burst (1600b) for streaming, file downloads, defaults.

If you get bufferbloat at BEGGINING of network saturation, you can try lowering bursts. Do not go under 1500b or whatever your MTU value your internet uses. You can use 1600b to be safe.
Thank my MTU is 1500 due to ipoe (dhcp on the ISP end)
safe to set burst for both down and upload or just upload, thanks for the advice but my vdsl2 connection is just horrible in general lol.

Last edited:
Nice score eh?
39642429.png

@Testscript

Just keep the default https rules. Those two entire categories I redirected get many hits under different names when transferring https traffic instead of just that one entry you have listed.

@skeal

Lowered bursts? Or router change?

Last edited:
Hello all! I have a quick question. I'm going back to Merlin firmware on my router setup-- I have rt-ac86U as the router, rt-ac68U as an access point, and one as a repeater. Do I need to install the script on all three routers, or just the main router? I can't seem to find the answer. THANK you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!