What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes github command needs to be updated. But I’ll actually upgrade the script so original command works.

Was reported last page.
@FreshJR it seems you're working on alot of different things for the new script, will it be a simple command to install from the menu or 2 different scripts to choose from the download section?

Does using a VPN service change anything in Qos set-up?

I'm going to do a ExpressVPN trial and do I adjust the manual download/upload settings in the Qos menu from 85-90% of the ISP max speed to the max reduced speed while using a VPN service - or keep it based on the ISP max speed?

I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

Does using a VPN service change anything in Qos set-up?

I'm going to do a ExpressVPN trial and do I adjust the manual download/upload settings in the Qos menu from 85-90% of the ISP max speed to the max reduced speed while using a VPN service - or keep it based on the ISP max speed?

I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

I would not change anything in your working QoS setup for your ISP.

The VPN 'service' is a variable that has too many options that are not in our control to try to optimize for.

Installed the new Alpha for the AX88U. Seems QOS has an issue starting. After a reboot you have to click the apply button on the QOS page to get the graphs to start. Then it seems for the most part ok. I have stumbled across it having issues showing the graphs but cannot say if t was preceded by something I did. Again clicking apply on the QOS page works to get things displaying again. No cause for alarm it's only an alpha build. ;):)

@FreshJR, you have mentioned before that you don't recommend enabling QoS for 1Gbps ISP connections.

Is there anything else I can do with regards to QoS on my RT-AC86U?

Maybe you have something coming down the pipe that may address this issue? :)

So just run the script from a local drive?

Do I need to do anything to the USB?

How often do I need to hard reboot? or by GUI?

No, you need to have SSH enabled on your router, use PuTTY or the equivalent to SSH into the router with your user name and password (the same one for the web GUI login).

Then, paste the curl installer command there.

A reboot is not required, but you need to set up QoS as per the details on post 2. :)

little more information

-On RMerlin firmware both a router reboot or USB drive is NOT needed.
(only a QoS restart is required (if the installer instructs you to do so).
The installer also gives you an option for it to restart QoS if it detects a restart is needed)​

-On stock AsusWRT firmware both a USB drive and a reboot IS needed.
(functionality on stock firmware hasn't been tested for a while)
Additionally, to clear up confusion, the script resides on the router itself.
The easy-install command fetches a copy of the script from github.com and places it onto the routers flash storage area /jffs.
The manual-install command uploads a copy of the script from your computer onto the router using pscp.

After the script is installed && QoS is restarted, there is no maintenance or reboots required. The script will always trigger itself when enabling adpativeQos. The script also checks if the modifications are persistent daily at 3:30am (re-enabling itself if required).

--

This was all explained in the first two posts . Re-read them again !

Last edited:
@FreshJR I need todo more testing but it appears the xbox in the house here is being properly moved into the game transferring for downloads.. but uploads are still in gaming.. noticed this when it was the only device doing anything and the numbers were way off.

What I mean to say is while its downloading properly in "gaming transfering" its replying its received packets etc thru "gaming" on the uploads side.

possibly spelling error line 406 in freshjr qos ststs.asp. missing an "r" in transferring. still trying to make sense of it all here

Last edited:
that's all I can see anywhere that might be related.. corrected it n testing now.

k seems no change with that fix.. more advanced issue hidden sumplace :)

ok so it looks as though the data is being detected with appdb as "XBOX" and being routed to "gaming" but the gaming rules are also moving the download portion to "game transferring" I think is whats going on here.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have two questions.
  1. Using this script is there anyway to limit bandwidth to certain devices on my network?
    1. The only option I see regarding this is by using the 'Bandwidth Limiter' QoS type instead of Adaptive, which is a pain as I want to keep this script.
  2. Is there a way to delete/refresh the 'Tracked Connections' stats under the classification tab?
    1. Or at least sort them by date/time?
Thanks Gazza

Limiting bandwidth is a waste if QoS is working properly.

No bufferbloat should be present even if the network is saturated and any users using high bandwidth should be slowed when new connections are started.
You can move all traffic from a specific user to the last category, typically {file downloads}, to in effect depriotize them. Additionally you can change the max allowed bandwidth of file downloads to 90% instead of a 100%, but again that is a waste.

If you manually edit the script you can create a category below file downloads and place users into that category limitingnit to whatever bandwidth cap you desire (but again why).

No time stamps available but old connections disappear after a few moments of inactivity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.