What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. Could you point me towards a recommended model or manufacturer? I haven't seen any $50 switch that will do QoS?

Mikrotik doesn't have an easy/intuitive setup, but reported performance has been stated as 800-940mbps WITH qos.

Important Note: One user said queues (QoS) do not work with fasttrack (mikrotik HW acceleartion)
With that conflicting report I dont know how they are using QoS as those speeds!!!

You will have to do your own research and ask on each manufacturers respective forums what to expect.
Maybe you can track down the follow SNBforum user and ask him what hardware he was using.

https://mikrotik.com/products

Snb reviewed them, but unfortunately they didn't test performance with QoS.

On mikrotik I found this user report
https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=138895&start=50#p714423
45866293.png

On SnB I found this user report
On Youtube I found this user report.

I personally have never used the product firsthand, but if user reports are to be believed it is insanely impressive for the price point. (I do think it was mentioned that only ipv4 is HW accelerated, no idea about ipv6 performance)

--

Additionally ubiquity also has Switches that act as routers with QoS.

https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/

--

NetDuma has routers with QoS.
Razer (lol @HW quality & CS support -- personally will never buy their products) also is prepping a router with QoS

Lots of research that could be done.
Maybe even look into what is happening over the on the DD-WRT / Tomato side regarding QoS on Asus hardware.

Alternatively, single core performance and core count on recent ARM processors used in recent phones is off the charts. Once that trickles down into routers/switches then gigabit may even be handled without HW accleration. So the future looks insane since we are using dated designs.

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HGLVZLY/?tag=snbforums-20

I've not used this particular version (have the unmanaged one at present), but seems to fit the profile - Port and Tos based QOS.
Or unmanaged with QOS, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A128S24/?tag=snbforums-20

Thank you. :)

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/31015-netgear-gs105e-briefly-reviewed

If I'm understanding the graphs properly, it doesn't seem to be able to do 1Gbps though with any feature enabled?

Thank you. :)

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/31015-netgear-gs105e-briefly-reviewed

If I'm understanding the graphs properly, it doesn't seem to be able to do 1Gbps though with any feature enabled?

In that review they tested up to 500mbps with QoS and it hit 500mbps.
Only rate limiting was mentioned so I have no idea what kind of queue they used.

(per device fairness is more ideal then per connection fairness, hopefully it wasn't FIFO)

I have a post awaiting approval aswell. No idea what keyword triggered moderation.

The netgear one also only have outbound limiting which is not ideal.

Mikrotik doesn't have an easy/intuitive setup, but reported performance has been stated as 800-940mbps WITH qos.

Important Note: One user said queues (QoS) do not work with fasttrack (mikrotik HW acceleartion)
With that conflicting report I dont know how they are using QoS as those speeds!!!

You will have to do your own research and ask on each manufacturers respective forums what to expect.
Maybe you can track down the follow SNBforum user and ask him what hardware he was using.

https://mikrotik.com/products

Snb reviewed them, but unfortunately they didn't test performance with QoS.

On mikrotik I found this user report
On SnB I found this user report
On Youtube I found this user report.

I personally have never used the product firsthand, but if user reports are to be believed it is insanely impressive for the price point. (I do think it was mentioned that only ipv4 is HW accelerated, no idea about ipv6 performance)

--

Additionally ubiquity also has Switches that act as routers with QoS.

https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/

--

NetDuma has routers with QoS.
Razer (lol @HW quality & CS support -- personally will never buy their products) also is prepping a router with QoS

Lots of research that could be done.
Maybe even look into what is happening over the on the DD-WRT / Tomato side regarding QoS on Asus hardware.

Alternatively, single core performance and core count on recent ARM processors used in recent phones is off the charts. Once that trickles down into routers/switches then gigabit may even be handled without HW accleration. So the future looks insane since we are using dated designs.

Thank you for the great post! I hope look into this area soon.

I wonder is someone can help me...
I have read like 80% of this thread plus I have read the first page numerous times but I still do not fully understand what I need to do.

The two games I play on my PC still are Quake and Apex Legends, both get classed as General (Unclassified) under app analysis for my PC.

I want to move all the General traffic (I know General will contain more than game data) from just my PC, CIDR of 192.168.1.133/32 into the Games category.
I believe what I am after is the Gaming rule Fresh mentions.

I have my CIDR, I know the app class I want to move (General), I know the category I want to move it into (Games) and I have manually assigned my PC with a static IP within the GUI.
I also believe I found in the config where I need to make changes:

##DOWNLOAD (INCOMMING TRAFFIC) CUSTOM RULES END HERE -- legacy method

if [ "$( echo $gameCIDR | tr -cd '.' | wc -c )" -eq "3" ] ; then
iptables -D POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -d $gameCIDR -m mark --mark 0x80000000/0x8000ffff -p tcp -m multiport ! --sports 80,443 -j MARK --set-mark ${Gaming_mark_down} &> /dev/null #Gaming - (Incoming "Unidentified" TCP traffic, for devices specified, not from WAN source ports 80 & 443 --> Gaming)
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -d $gameCIDR -m mark --mark 0x80000000/0x8000ffff -p tcp -m multiport ! --sports 80,433 -j MARK --set-mark ${Gaming_mark_down}

iptables -D POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -d $gameCIDR -m mark --mark 0x80000000/0x8000ffff -p udp -m multiport ! --sports 80,443 -j MARK --set-mark ${Gaming_mark_down} &> /dev/null #Gaming - (Incoming "Unidentified" UDP traffic, for devices specified, not from WAN source ports 80 & 443 --> Gaming)
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -d $gameCIDR -m mark --mark 0x80000000/0x8000ffff -p udp -m multiport ! --sports 80,443 -j MARK --set-mark ${Gaming_mark_down}

And the corresponding Upload rule.

I cant see where the $gameCIDR is referenced in the script and I am assuming I just do not change '$gameCIDR' for my CIDR IP?

I thought I could enter values for this in the UI but I don't believe I can.

This has probably been asked 1000 times, I have searched and I have tinkered but to know avail.

Thanks Gazza

@smooth

Just first three posts was enough (It tells you to stop reading at the third post)

There is now lots of now dated/legacy information at beginning of the thread. The script has changed/evolved a lot over time.

Just put your gaming IP/CIDR range in the outlined location, click apply, wait 5 minutes, enjoy.

here.png

That line can be translated as follows

If traffic

-is interacting with USER DEFINED local CIDR ip range
-is UDP or TCP
-is NOT interacting with server ports 80 or 443
-is unindentified/untracked​

then

-redirect into gaming
--

Why cant you use the UI?

Alternatively, the interactive mode is used as follows.

here.png

It is invoked by

/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS

or simply

FreshJR_QOS

Last edited:

FreshJR, may I respectfully ask if integration with amtm is a possibility for the FreshJR QOS script?

Sorry to bother, it would just make things complete. :)

FreshJR, may I respectfully ask if integration with amtm is a possibility for the FreshJR QOS script?

Sorry to bother, it would just make things complete. :)

Its ready anytime, but Lonelycoder wants to remove the code responsible for clearing scrollback before considering integration. I personally have no issues entertaining that request. It is a simple change, but it hasn't been implemented and tested if it would introduce any bugs.

The scroll-back behavior was a design behavior based on my preferences. I personally clear the screen+scroll-back almost every other command when using terminal for anything. I have it bound to a hotkey

That scroll-back change is held off for next release, or potentially shelved if it introduces glitches. Glitches may be present since I choose the harder route of modifying cursor position and overwriting relevant portions of the screen for quick terminal responsiveness.

The reference to cursor position has a chance to get messed if the screen is scrolled (untested).
The screen cannot be scrolled if a scrollbar is NOT present as happens when clearing scrollback ;).

The script also resizes the terminal && disables line wrap. (I don't think this is an issue, but I will not be changing this behavior if Lonelycoder doesn't like forced modifications to terminal sessions)

--

I have a list of things to finish up (in order of current priority)

-ipv6 support
-structural changes so certain traffic **gamedownloads** CANNOT get whitelisted if started during/prior to the 5 minute wait
-burst settings
-UI controls related to burst
-terminal controls related to burst
-minor bug fixes
-scrollback testing
-misc

Its on hold right now, since I am busy, but there is a chunk of advancments to be made, which will require a chunk of time coding and testing.

Last edited:
@smooth

Just first three posts was enough (It tells you to stop reading at the third post)

There is now lots of now dated/legacy information at beginning of the thread. The script has changed/evolved a lot over time.

Just put your gaming IP/CIDR range in the outlined location, click apply, wait 5 minutes, enjoy.

here.png

That line can be translated as follows

If traffic

-is interacting with USER DEFINED local CIDR ip range
-is UDP or TCP
-is NOT interacting with server ports 80 or 443
-is unindentified/untracked​

then

-redirect into gaming
--

Why cant you use the UI?

Alternatively, the interactive mode is used as follows.

here.png

It is invoked by

/jffs/scripts/FreshJR_QOS

or simply

FreshJR_QOS

Works a charm! Thank You

Lonelycoder wants to remove the code responsible for clearing scrollback. I have no issues entertaining that request. It is a simple change, but it hasn't been implemented and tested if it would introduce any bugs.

That change is held off for next release, or possibly shelved if it introduces glitches. I choose the harder route of modify cursor position for quick terminal responsiveness when using the interactive mode. The reference to cursor position has a change to get messed up while scrolling if a scrollbar is present (untested).

The script also resizes the terminal && disables line wrap. (I don't think this is an issue, but I will not be changing this behavior)

--

I have a list of things to finish up (in order of current priority)

-ipv6 support
-structural changes so certain traffic **gamedownloads** CANNOT get whitelisted if started during/prior to the 5 minute wait
-burst settings
-UI controls related to burst
-terminal controls related to burst
-minor bug fixes
-scrollback testing
-misc

Its on hold right now, since I am busy, but there is a chunk of advancments to be made.

Thank you for such a complete and detailed answer! :)

Hello, sucreb's mask has to be in the range 255.255.255.252 as seen in the image ???

thump_9893872screenshot20190411-r.png

So far this AX88U alpha is breaking FreshJR_QOS. I have tried some basic rules in the webui using cidr notation and my rules don't work. :confused:o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!