What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I should cross post but I'm using an 86U, I installed the latest 384.14_beta3 along with FreshJR_QOS and under Tools>Sys.info HW acceleration is showing both Runner and Cache Enabled. It was the same way with beta2

Where does email fall into the scheme of things? It looks like it's considered "web surfing" but doesn't appear to actually show in the totals. For example I'm downloading my entire gmail into thunderbird. My pc shows connections from 2-5megabit per second. The qos classification page is showing 11kb/s web surfing. That's it. All other sections show 0kb/s. The one line I saw below the pie was an imap4 over tls connection in web surfing.

Will it degrade my performance to enable Adaptive QOS? The hardware acceleration is the only reason that I had turned it off. I would like to take advantage of FreshJR Adaptive QOS script if it doesn't take away my flow cache. I may have misread about this. I do know it is easier to turn HW acceleration off than it is to get it back on.

Should have stated: RT-AC86U w/ Merlin 384.14, RT-AC68U Aimesh Node, current Asus stock, ethernet priority, Windscribe VPN on OpenVPN, Diversion & Skynet scripts.

Last edited:
Will it degrade my performance to enable Adaptive QOS? The hardware acceleration is the only reason that I had turned it off. I would like to take advantage of FreshJR Adaptive QOS script if it doesn't take away my flow cache. I may have misread about this. I do know it is easier to turn HW acceleration off than it is to get it back on.

Should have stated: RT-AC86U w/ Merlin 384.14, RT-AC68U Aimesh Node, current Asus stock, ethernet priority, Windscribe VPN on OpenVPN, Diversion & Skynet scripts.

It does have an impact on maximum thruput due to the cpu overhead of the QoS. So it really depends on your hardware and what speed your internet pkg is. That router has one of the fastest cpu's so as long as you have under 1gb internet pkg you should be fine with QoS enabled.

Thanks. Home networking is so much more complex than I even imagined. I have a 250/10 internet cable, so it should be OK, although the two Fire/Roku TV's are through the router vpn all the time, and they don't get as much juice. I am brave enough to turn it on now.
thanks again,
jts

Thanks. Home networking is so much more complex than I even imagined. I have a 250/10 internet cable, so it should be OK, although the two Fire/Roku TV's are through the router vpn all the time, and they don't get as much juice. I am brave enough to turn it on now.
thanks again,
jts
vpn is harder on cpu that QoS. I forget the number but pretty sure with that router with qos and vpn 350ish is the cap so yur fine.. jus make sure to set the qos at approx. 10% below your upstream/downstream speed test results that you get with qos off. and then see how that goes.. the idea is that your qos is to be the bottleneck not your connection.

Hi all,

My son was complaining that his Fortnite was lagging so I looked for the Xbox one in the QOS filter list, when he’s playing it. It has fortnite in the game downloads category and there were 2-3 untracked. Do I just need to identify the traffic and create a rule to get it picked up as game traffic.

Hi all,

My son was complaining that his Fortnite was lagging so I looked for the Xbox one in the QOS filter list, when he’s playing it. It has fortnite in the game downloads category and there were 2-3 untracked. Do I just need to identify the traffic and create a rule to get it picked up as game traffic.
Yes, and put gaming traffic in a higher QOS category if you prefer as well.

Hi all,

it may have unidentified traffic as well id suggest changing the priorities to something like:
Others
Voip
Gaming
Web
streaming
file transferring

and see how that goes

Just start using FreshJR's QoS script. And have a question:
I have my Guest WiFi connect to separate bridge "br1", and allocated in different subnet (192.168.37.0/24 , for example). I want to limit bandwidth on this IP range by create a separate category for it. But find category list is hardcoded. Is there anyway I can create my own QoS category?

Has anyone been able to get the AppDB section to work? I saw some people have issues with it while it works fine for others.

What does work is adding a IP entry without any IP address, but I'm not sure if this is the way to go, or if this may break something.

it may have unidentified traffic as well id suggest changing the priorities to something like:
Others
Voip
Gaming
Web
streaming
file transferring

and see how that goes

Would putting VOIP in middle make a difference for those whose priorities are gaming, similar to:

Others
Gaming
Voip
Web
streaming
file transferring

I am struggling and need your help. My son is killing my internet connection (70/20mb). When I am watching IPTV it is really stuttering when he is downloading and when I check he is using all the bandwidth even though I say use a max 60%.

I am sure there is something obvious I have missed. I am using 192.168.50.0/24 network

upload_2019-12-18_18-20-23.png

I have configured the download settings with the below %

upload_2019-12-18_18-22-15.png

My QoS settings are

upload_2019-12-18_18-23-14.png

Any help is well appreciated.

thanks

I am struggling and need your help. My son is killing my internet connection (70/20mb). When I am watching IPTV it is really stuttering when he is downloading and when I check he is using all the bandwidth even though I say use a max 60%.

I am sure there is something obvious I have missed. I am using 192.168.50.0/24 network

View attachment 20353

View attachment 20354

My QoS settings are

View attachment 20355

thanks

Are you using FreshJR script? Also, change the bandwidth setting from automatic to manual setting and set the upload/download to "19/65 mbps" (roughly 95% of your actual bandwidth). Also, I would reset the download min/max bandwidth settings. I left mine as default settings. What are you settings inside the QoS tab below? It's recommended you use customize mode, and set traffic from highest to lowest in this order:
voip
gaming
others
web
stream
file transfer

Last edited:
Well I haven't used wireshark, But I tested making a rule for UDP 3074, one for local, and one for remote. Remote really didn't do much in terms of traffic being passed, while in a match. However when I used UDP with local port of 3074. Whenever, in a lobby, and a match being played. Data was being passed on the priority I set it to. Once matches are over, data rates drop, and when I back out of a lobby. Data being passed over the rule I created, is nothing.

So that tells me for at least COD for me, on PS4, UDP with local port set to 3074. Is the perfect rule to give in game traffic, the best possible priority. As server IP's, and such change to much, to try to narrow down a IP range to only give priority for game traffic.

EDIT: I also rerouted the couple things within my home network, that passes traffic over FreshJR's top priority Net Control Packets, to another priority. I ended up putting the COD rule I made into Net Control Packets, so that priority is totally empty, and only traffic from the rule I created, will be passed over it. For me, it made it much easier to know if the rule was working properly while in game, without any other traffic being merged with it.

Do you mind sharing your QoS script via pastebin ?

I'm seeking in doing the same with only leaving 3074 as the main net control port

Would putting VOIP in middle make a difference for those whose priorities are gaming, similar to:

Others
Gaming
Voip
Web
streaming
file transferring

wouldn't make a huge diff cuz few things actually use the voip but the things that do need good ping to work at all. If the category isn't being used then being higher priority doesn't matter cuz the other will use it up instead.

View attachment 20353

View attachment 20354

My QoS settings are

View attachment 20355

thanks

with the settings I see there.. it should be impossible for downloads to affect your streaming unless you have your upload/download setting too high.. your max needs to be below yur current connection speed for qos to work at all.. the very second your internet speed drops below your setting it basically renders qos useless. try bringing them down a bit like another 10%. some peoples internet fluctuates like mine during busy hours so you u need to set it based on that.

Others
Gaming
Voip
Web
streaming
file transferring
Put gaming at the top it would work better for gaming as a priority, considering that some undefined traffic goes in to others.

I use:

Gaming
Streaming
Web
VoIP
Others
File transfer

for my needs, it works great. I have little use for VoIP and streaming is higher up as I'm the only one using the network - if bandwidth was being shared I would place it below Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!