What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only just found this thread. Can anyone tell me if this QoS modification needs to re-installed after a firmware update?

Should I be thinking about adding specific rules to ensure streaming from my NAS to my Amazon Fire TV runs smoothly or will that type of streaming to recognised and prioritised by the default settings? Also, although downloading updates to my TomTom GO 6200 and Go Camper doesn't need to be high priority, I do need to ensure that they get sufficient bandwidth to complete map updates, because if the updates fail, they can cause the devices to malfunction.

Hello everybody.
I've just installed this script.

I have a problem: under QoS configuration, I set QoS Adaptive, I manually insert download and upload speed.
My connection maximum speed is 60/20. Under those fields, I insert 58/18.
Upload speed gets limited properly, while download one is cut to 18.
Why?? Any suggestion?

Best regards

Hello everybody.

I have a problem: under QoS configuration, I set QoS Adaptive, I manually insert download and upload speed.
Why?? Any suggestion?

Best regards
Check the field labels again -- you have them backwards (I know from experience).

Hello everybody.

Why?? Any suggestion?

Best regards
Id double check to make sure that you entered the values Into the right fields

Is there an issue with custom rules on this script and 384.14? It seems the custom rules no longer work correctly. I first noticed that existing rules based on the local port stopped working after upgrading from 384.13 to 384.14 but existing rules based on the local IP of the device still worked. If I added a new rule it would not work regardless. I removed the script and reinstalled it to try and get the port based rules working but now no custom rules work at all.

Essentially I had 2 custom rules set up, one based on an IP range making all my Ring devices come under VOIP traffic, and another making Plex traffic from port 32000 come under streaming. Now when I try to apply these rules or make any modification via the custom rule gui they don't seem to take effect. The traffic under the device section no longer displays 'Rule x' as the category indicating it's not applied my custom rule. Furthermore in the system log it reports that no modifications are necessary every time I edit these rules.

I'd like to avoid a factory reset if possible, but will do so if required. I just wanted to check if anyone else is having the above problem before I waste my time resetting it.

Edit - Managed to resolve it via the following (in case anyone else has the same problem):

1) Stop QOS, uninstall Freshjr script.

2) Downgraded back to 384.13 and then upgraded again back to 384.14

3) Install Freshjr script, reactivate QOS and recreate all rules.

Last edited:
Hi, first time poster! BSEE from University of Illinois.

Setup: Comcast (300/10 Mbps) cable via a ARRIS SB6183 (DOCSIS 3.0). Wired Gigabit Ethernet through an Asus RT-88U running Merlin 384.14 and the FreshJR script.

I recently became aware of bufferbloat and started testing my network. On my wired gaming PC, I was seeing mediocre bufferbloat results (55-60 ms up, 85-90 ms down) on my WRT1900AC, so I upgraded to an RT-AC88U. Tested bufferbloat last night via DSLreports, and scores improved marginally (2-5 ms). This morning, I installed Merlin 384.14 and retested. Nothing changed. Subsequently tested the following QoS permutations using DSLreports:

- All three QoS modes (bandwidth, traditional, and adaptive)
- Automatic and manual bandwidth limiting (95% of actual)
- ATM enabled and disabled

Nothing changed.

Next I installed the FreshJR's script, tested immediately (was I supposed to wait 5 minutes?), and nothing changed. Figuring I missed something, I carefully followed the instructions and discovered a problem. Instead of an inverse relationship between bandwidth limit and bufferbloat, I found a *direct* relationship between upstream bandwidth limit and bufferbloat. If I, for example, drop my upstream limit from 500 Mbps (unlimited dummy value) to 4 Mbps (1/3 my actual bandwidth), my bufferbloat average goes from 80-85 ms to 240-265 ms. That's an interesting result--mathematically exact relationship. What gives? Meanwhile, lowering the downstream bandwidth limit *does* lower bufferbloat in the downstream direction.

Any explanation that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Hi, first time poster! BSEE from University of Illinois.

Setup: Comcast (300/10 Mbps) cable via a ARRIS SB6183 (DOCSIS 3.0). Wired Gigabit Ethernet through an Asus RT-88U running Merlin 384.14 and the FreshJR script.

I recently became aware of bufferbloat and started testing my network. On my wired gaming PC, I was seeing mediocre bufferbloat results (55-60 ms up, 85-90 ms down) on my WRT1900AC, so I upgraded to an RT-AC88U. Tested bufferbloat last night via DSLreports, and scores improved marginally (2-5 ms). This morning, I installed Merlin 384.14 and retested. Nothing changed. Subsequently tested the following QoS permutations using DSLreports:

- All three QoS modes (bandwidth, traditional, and adaptive)
- Automatic and manual bandwidth limiting (95% of actual)
- ATM enabled and disabled

Nothing changed.

Next I installed the FreshJR's script, tested immediately (was I supposed to wait 5 minutes?), and nothing changed. Figuring I missed something, I carefully followed the instructions and discovered a problem. Instead of an inverse relationship between bandwidth limit and bufferbloat, I found a *direct* relationship between upstream bandwidth limit and bufferbloat. If I, for example, drop my upstream limit from 500 Mbps (unlimited dummy value) to 4 Mbps (1/3 my actual bandwidth), my bufferbloat average goes from 80-85 ms to 240-265 ms. That's an interesting result--mathematically exact relationship. What gives? Meanwhile, lowering the downstream bandwidth limit *does* lower bufferbloat in the downstream direction.

Any explanation that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas!
Atm only applies to ADSL connections, don't forget to set your per packet overhead value 18 for cable, make sure that 95% of both bandwidth values is set.

Also don't use automatically bandwidth that's for 10gb connections if I remember correctly, use manual bandwidth.

Hi all, I'm sorry if my question was answered elsewhere in the forum. I just wonder do I need to install FreshJR script after updating to 384.14 firmware for the AX88U? Because as I know, the script hasn't been updated for a while, and Merlin has probably made several improvements to QoS section? Thank you everyone :)
P/s: I mostly read online newspaper, watch Youtube videos and make VoIP calls. Sometimes I download files which are less than 1GB, and I rarely play online games.

so there is really no way to get under QOS traffic directly from/to router ? f.e. traffic from transmission ...

Hi all, I'm sorry if my question was answered elsewhere in the forum. I just wonder do I need to install FreshJR script after updating to 384.14 firmware for the AX88U? Because as I know, the script hasn't been updated for a while, and Merlin has probably made several improvements to QoS section? Thank you everyone :)
P/s: I mostly read online newspaper, watch Youtube videos and make VoIP calls. Sometimes I download files which are less than 1GB, and I rarely play online games.
If you did a full reset/initialization after you installed the new firmware then yes, if not then no, afaik.

Hello

Today i had a big problem that my game cs go was tracked not correct, it was tracked as untracked.
Then i restarted the router and pc and all was fine again ???
How can i be sure that cs go is always tracked at gaming category?
Does i have something to do with the isp that they reset the nework every 24h or should i call them to switch to always on?
I have vdls2 and ppoe and overhead value 27

ok tested it again and the problem came back.

Last edited:
Hi,

Which is the difference under customization between Rule & AppDB?
Also, I have only 3 fields for each... Am I able to add more rules/appdb's?

Thanks

Sent from S.G. S9 Plus Duos using Tapatalk

Hello

Is there someone that can help me maybe over Teamspeak ? Sry it is really hard to understand it just over writing!

Hello

Today i had a big problem that my game cs go was tracked not correct, it was tracked as untracked.
Then i restarted the router and pc and all was fine again ???
How can i be sure that cs go is always tracked at gaming category?
Does i have something to do with the isp that they reset the nework every 24h or should i call them to switch to always on?
I have vdls2 and ppoe and overhead value 27

ok tested it again and the problem came back.
I haven't looked but its likely there was a signature update and that resets the QoS. Fresh has implemented a fix that reapplies the QoS at 3am which fixes this because it does an auto check at 2am I believe. if u manually updated prior to that then youll have to either wait till 3am or disable/enable qos again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!